Phoenix LXXXII: "Waive Reading Beyond the Title"

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
He said "...the City budgeted 6.5M while RSE needs 16M". Nothing we haven't already heard. So to him, that means they are done. No new news.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Healy said Glendale is offering $6.5M per year for a subsidy, and the potential owners want $16M. Glendale to decide around June 25th - NHL wants a decision sooner. Hmmm.

So basically Healy is repeating what we around here already know about and is just extrapolating on the endgame expectation, much like what we've already done here...

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I am confident Gary Bettman will find a way to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, with the total absence of contestation by the BoG.

Don't forget what Morgan wrote couple days ago: Sherwood said Bower was very positive friday with the RSE group.

Don't worry, the Yotes are staying in Glendale.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I am confident Gary Bettman will find a way to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, with the total absence of contestation by the BoG.

If he made it for 4 years, he will find a way for another 4 years.

Totally agree with you QC, as for moving the team this year, it is over, too late for that.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Totally agree with you QC, as for moving the team this year, it is over, too late for that.

It's not too late until the schedule is finalized, The NHL will not have a lame duck season.

Morgan, reporting 2nd hand information from one councillor means little, a nearly 10 million dollar a year gap from a council that can't find 200.000 for the fire department is HUGE.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

If he made it for 4 years, he will find a way for another 4 years.

But how? The nhl said they are not interrested in extending the management of the arena. And the City is dead set on finding a permanent arena manager!

Now, I think it's possible that, when Renaissance fails (and it's pretty sure they will by now), the NHL will try to make a deal with the new manager. But it'd be though!

The way things are going the NHL is really painting themselves into a corner. And I think Bettman might very soon find himself without another miracle to keep the Coyotes in undeath in Glendale for one more year.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
They are politicians and they are entrusted with spending the publics money, so that's why they have rules in place to be followed.

Rules are flexible. That's what jurisprudence is all about. Personally, I don't have any problem with the meetings of May 28 at all. In fact, I strongly support it. I present this for thought:

If Sergey Brin contacted the city to discuss a public-private partnership for a new Googleplex, shouldn't the representative take that meeting even if it meant attending successive small groups because Google didn't want it to be a public meeting? I don't think there is anything conniving about listening to a business proposal in private.

There would only seem to be a problem if the city staff was colluding with the private entity. Hypothetically, if the City Manager discouraged an RFP process that would provide competitive options for the city and instead hired a crooked consultant to provide erroneous economic impact reports. Or, hypothetically, if the City Attorney wrote a lease that indemnified the private entity for their own inability to act.

But even then, the system of checks and balances would prevent any misdeed because the legislative body could review the staff's work and reject is. Unless, hypothetically, the legislative body was a Council of Misfit Toys with some waterguns that shot jelly, a Joyce in the Box, and assorted other urban planning flunkies.

Was it really the meeting that was the problem?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Let me bring back what Morgan wrote yesterday.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl...-doesnt-equate-to-?blockID=909679&feedID=3702

"Glendale acting city manager Dick Bowers met with prospective buyer Anthony LeBlanc, one of the principals in Rennaisance Sports and Entertainment, on Wednesday. The two discussed the framework of a potential arena lease agreement.

Neither LeBlanc nor Bowers spoke after the meeting, but Glendale councilmember Gary Sherwood spoke to Bowers on Wednesday and “saw it as fairly positive from our brief discussion on the subject.” Sherwood later added that Bowers was feeling even more positive about the negotiations on Friday."

Who's in the best place to analyze this matter? Healy, former goalie, no Stanley cup title, no education in journalism, lost somewhere in the great white north, couple thousand miles away from Glendaleland or Morgan, the respected experienced journalist living in the dead center of the action, getting access to whoever he wants?

Stay calm, Gary Bettman is protecting the Coyotes, if he found a way to keep'em there for 4 years now, he will find a way to keep'em another 4 years.

Last edited:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Stay calm, Gary Bettman is protecting the Coyotes, if he found a way to keep'em there for 4 years now, he will find a way to keep'em another 4 years.

Meh, that's not much of an argument, (except if you truly believe Gary Bettman is an all seeing, all knowing, all-powerfull Deity-like entity).

If there is no chance for Renaissance to buy the team. And no help from the city and new arena manager, I don't think there is anything the NHL can do!

What's Bettman going to do to prevent the new Manager from squeezing the NHL for cash or even kick them out? Threathen to send Cooke after him? Kidnap him and have Daly replace him trough the use of a Polyjuice potion to mimic him?

No! Bettman might have no choice!

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Let me bring back what Morgan wrote on june 7th.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl...-doesnt-equate-to-?blockID=909679&feedID=3702

"Glendale acting city manager Dick Bowers met with prospective buyer Anthony LeBlanc, one of the principals in Rennaisance Sports and Entertainment, on Wednesday. The two discussed the framework of a potential arena lease agreement.

Neither LeBlanc nor Bowers spoke after the meeting, but Glendale councilmember Gary Sherwood spoke to Bowers on Wednesday and “saw it as fairly positive from our brief discussion on the subject.†Sherwood later added that Bowers was feeling even more positive about the negotiations on Friday."

Who's in the best place to analyze this matter? Healy, former goalie, no education in journalism, lost somewhere in the great white north, couple thousand miles away from Glendaleland or Morgan, the respected experienced journalist living in the dead center of the action, getting access to whoever he wants?

How many BS articles have we heard out of Glendale? You can't just say Bettman will find a way without saying how he's going to deal with millions less then RSE needs. Is the NHL going to take a massive loss and look for some other suckers?
Healy may very well just be parroting what others have said but the bottom line is the NHL will not lose millions more and RSE has no hope of getting what they need. Sherwood is the only councillor that was spoken positively about making a deal.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
You can say whatever you want, if the league wants to play in front of 3000 fans, they will play in front of 3000 fans.

You, me, have strictly no influence on this whatsoever.

I want to see another NHL team in BK: guess what? It will be the Coyotes.

Can't wait to see if Morgan was right on. I hope the experienced journalist is better then the no cup retired goalie.

Acesolid: message privé.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Ya, Captain Obvious.

Ahem...it's Obviousman....

obviousman.jpg

:razz:

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
You can say whatever you want, if the league wants to play in front of 3000 fans, they will play in front of 3000 fans.

You, me, have strictly no influence on this whatsoever.

I want to see another NHL team in BK: guess what? It will be the Coyotes.

Can't wait to see if Morgan was right on. I hope the experienced journalist is better then the no cup retired goalie.

Acesolid: message privé.

Healy worked for the NHLPA and may very well still have contacts there with information.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Healy said Glendale is offering $6.5M per year for a subsidy, and the potential owners want $16M. Glendale to decide around June 25th - NHL wants a decision sooner. Hmmm.

If this is truth, and they're off by nearly 10 million, you might as well just fold it up now. Looks like it truly is a chess match to try to pin the blame for relocation on the other guy, NHL vs Glendale.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Let me bring back what Morgan wrote yesterday.

Neither LeBlanc nor Bowers spoke after the meeting, but Glendale councilmember Gary Sherwood spoke to Bowers on Wednesday and “saw it as fairly positive from our brief discussion on the subject.†Sherwood later added that Bowers was feeling even more positive about the negotiations on Friday."

Who's in the best place to analyze this matter? Healy, former goalie, no Stanley cup title, no education in journalism, lost somewhere in the great white north, couple thousand miles away from Glendaleland or Morgan, the respected experienced journalist living in the dead center of the action, getting access to whoever he wants?

One could also make the argument that Sherwood seems to be carrying the Coyotes flame, perhaps for his own political future. He may realize that there simply aren't enough votes to keep the Coyotes in town. So he is saying he's doing his own figures to make-up the $9 million difference between the two groups, he says Bowers is feeling more positive, he's constantly talking to Morgan. If, after the Coyotes leave, the arena fails to draw events or Westgate closes due to lack of customers, he can say "see, we should have done everything we could to keep the Coyotes. You can't blame me for the failure."

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Not you, Killie. You never struck me as the kind of guy who would make stuff up. You use some crooked phrases but you always seem like a straight shooter.

But the second or third hand in that grapevine, that's almost certainly someone with a limited capacity.

not to put my nose where it doesnt belong, but back in the day K had some sure as shootin' info about the jets and an expansion team that i swallowed hook line and sinker....

just sayin'

carry on.

exit stage left.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
One could also make the argument that Sherwood seems to be carrying the Coyotes flame, perhaps for his own political future. He may realize that there simply aren't enough votes to keep the Coyotes in town. So he is saying he's doing his own figures to make-up the $9 million difference between the two groups, he says Bowers is feeling more positive, he's constantly talking to Morgan. If, after the Coyotes leave, the arena fails to draw events or Westgate closes due to lack of customers, he can say "see, we should have done everything we could to keep the Coyotes. You can't blame me for the failure."

In this case, Morgan would have been a ridiculous puppet, one door away from Bower's office.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
If RES is asking for 16 million, wow.

Glendale is probably checking every couch in Glendale for change to get to 6.5M, there's no way other than tax hikes or huge budget cuts, that they can make that type of offer.

But I get the RES, you need financial assurances to make sure that you have fighting chance of making a profit.

I just don't see how it's possible.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Before the Jets returned, especially the previous two years when we got close to getting the Coyotes, a lot of fans in Winnipeg said the same things "Bettman will never let the NHL come back to Winnipeg" "Bettman hates Winnipeg" I know because I thought that after 2 aborted attempts at moving the Coyotes. The difference then was a little thing called 25 million for losses. Well the current Glendale council can not/ will not settle for anything other then a sale and commitment for the future, which is very very doubtful.
It's painful when you get teased only to have the rug pulled out from under you.
It appears very likely that even if the NHL may not want Quebec.....they NEED Quebec.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
*puts on sneaky corporate hat*

Why couldn't the NHL use the escrow money to bridge the gap for 2 years? By then CoG could rewrite the budget to combine the stadium, arena and spring training facilities into a more general sports fund.

No matter what the NHL does to keep the Coyotes at the Job, they need a plan for after RSE fails to complete the purchase.

*edit* I have more faith in Eklund than Healy

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
*puts on sneaky corporate hat*

Why couldn't the NHL use the escrow money to bridge the gap for 2 years? By then CoG could rewrite the budget to combine the stadium, arena and spring training facilities into a more general sports fund.

No matter what the NHL does to keep the Coyotes at the Job, they need a plan for after RSE fails to complete the purchase.

What can they do when RSE fails? Find another group with no money?
The Coyotes aren't viable without "Subsidies" :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad