Phoenix LXXVIII: Know When To Hold 'Em, Know When To Fold 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It wouldn't be smart for them to go on record saying no way they want the Nordiques back. But it wouldn't but smart either to say they want them back and not try to complicate things a bit... What they are doing behind the curtain (if they are doing anything) nobody will know, probably ever. I highly doubt they're not doing anything they can to help get this train off the rails.

Theres a lot of motive there for them to be obstructionist, absolutely. Remember, it was PKP & Quebecor their biggest rival in upping the ante in acquiring the Canadiens. That was some serious money being offered, a lot more than what the Coyotes sticker price is at. The NHL could well be looking at this as hey, we have a Big Fish here, no way do they get in on the cheap. Its really hard to say. But its possible, plausible. A lot of history there between these rivals, and youve now got Bell with interests in Toronto as well with MLSE. All manner of subterfuge could be goin down, and if it is, Gary's got a far more serious problem on his hands than we might be imagining, as in no where to go.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Theres a lot of motive there for them to be obstructionist, absolutely. Remember, it was PKP & Quebecor their biggest rival in upping the ante in acquiring the Canadiens. That was some serious money being offered, a lot more than what the Coyotes sticker price is at. The NHL could well be looking at this as hey, we have a Big Fish here, no way do they get in on the cheap. Its really hard to say. But its possible, plausible. A lot of history there between these rivals, and youve now got Bell with interests in Toronto as well with MLSE. All manner of subterfuge could be goin down, and if it is, Gary's got a far more serious problem on his hands than we might be imagining, as in no where to go.

Qc people setup a successfull Molson beer boycott in 1979 without the whole Twitter Facebook blabla. No problem in setting up a Molson Coors boycott in 2013. In fact, I can't wait!

If its up to the Molsons gang to solve the problem, we'll let them know pretty quickly, keeping an eye on their share's values at the stock exchange.

Only them knows if they wants to face a 3 years boycott.

After all, they choosed to be partners with the Ontario "octopuss".

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
M4B, That Thread title and lyrics are priceless! I can see GB and BD sitting in NYC with a plan to relocate,contract or stay put, but somehow cant find the wherewithal to pull the trigger? Anything that has to do with Glendale should be considered DOA! Why do I also want to believe that he will opt for contraction rather than force the issue on QC before they are ready?
Where is this meme coming from? QC was ready for the Coyotes last summer. The new arena is under construction. Their temporary arena, La Colisee Pepsi, has more seats than MTS Centre in Winnipeg. And they were hosting NHL hockey until the mid-1990s. They've hosted international hockey tournaments recently, and are merely waiting for a fax from NHL HQ.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Where is this meme coming from? QC was ready for the Coyotes last summer. The new arena is under construction. Their temporary arena, La Colisee Pepsi, has more seats than MTS Centre in Winnipeg. And they were hosting NHL hockey until the mid-1990s. They've hosted international hockey tournaments recently, and are merely waiting for a fax from NHL HQ.

Yeah, they seems to work a lot with fax machines, you know, with paper changing colors.

Mike Hulsizer have a good fax machine.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Well precisely, which makes the situation all the less clear really. Common sense alone dictates that look, either someone steps up to the plate in Glendale, pays the $170M, has a float of at least $80M to move forward, accepts the $6M with an out clause, or, sell & move the team. Take all of 48hrs to get that done. Yet here we are. Some kinda strange goin on somewhere.

Northern Fan

Apr 22, 2013
Quebec
If the league does managed to sell the team locally, and if they really do intend to make the league whole financially, how will they manage that feat? Especially if the team stays under the league's ownership for another year. Future relocations monstruous fees?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If the league does managed to sell the team locally, and if they really do intend to make the league whole financially, how will they manage that feat? Especially if the team stays under the league's ownership for another year. Future relocations monstruous fees?

Sure they could Northern Fan. They could park the franchise in Glendale for another year or three, eat all of the losses themselves and still be made whole again no problem by simply selling it to PKP or to interests in Markham or Hamilton for $350M+. Bidding war. Relocation fee's, indemnification in Southern Ontario going to Buffalo & Toronto. They bought & have been paying for the team using a line of credit. No money out of the pockets of the league, the other 29 teams, and its easily recovered. Insanity to go about it that way but hey, this situations pretty crazy as it is, what another year or more? Why do anything half assed when whole assed is so much more satisfying?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Well precisely, which makes the situation all the less clear really. Common sense alone dictates that look, either someone steps up to the plate in Glendale, pays the $170M, has a float of at least $80M to move forward, accepts the $6M with an out clause, or, sell & move the team. Take all of 48hrs to get that done. Yet here we are. Some kinda strange goin on somewhere.

Obtuse as ever the NHL plods along oblivious to the fact they are hampering the efforts of the Coyotes to sell season tickets, advertising, to sign players etc. and if the team is to move to QC, putting them in a tight spot to get everything ready for the 2013-2014 season. But then again this is the NHL where common sense and properly managing a sports league are a the bottom of the to-do list.;)

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
It's hard to believe this won't be settled one way or another by May 31 but the NHL shows more and more with this saga that they are bush league in the handling of this situation. Hard to believe the NHL BoG's are very happy with this mess.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Obtuse as ever the NHL plods along oblivious to the fact they are hampering the efforts of the Coyotes to sell season tickets, advertising, to sign players etc. and if the team is to move to QC, putting them in a tight spot to get everything ready for the 2013-2014 season. But then again this is the NHL where common sense and properly managing a sports league are a the bottom of the to-do list.;)

Well sure. Collect $50M from the city for Arena Management Services, pretend like you care, eff off fishin, wakeboading or whatever to Lake Havasu every day by like 10:00am, and thats if you show up at all. Could be busy in NYC. Shopping on 5th Avenue or beating up on the NHLPA. Both equally enjoyable pursuits. I mean, can you imagine being Don Maloney, who for at least 3yrs now has been told, literally, "couple more weeks, next month should be resolved"? But now its really serious as they seemingly have passed the point of no return. There are ways & means to stay put, absolutely, but at what cost?

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
So where is George Gosbee? He has yet to talk about the ownership of the Coyotes in any media. Is he in fact interested or is he just a pure fabrication like The Balkan was in Atlanta?

Simple! Gosbee was never a viable buyer! He along with Pastor can hardly afford to buy this franchise! They are bottom fishing hoping GB gets desperate and makes a mistake from which these catfish may be able to salvage some profit with a short relo and League financing! Oh forgot to throw in the requisite screwing of the COG for the other parts of the economic pie! Add all of those variables up and the chance either one of these impostors buys this is zilch!:rant:

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Was it this quiet in the week and a half before the Thrashers relocated?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Gary must be going full throttle in getting the limits on this 'freight train' hoping to go back to the future! :laugh:

I've got a 2-7 (offsuit), should I fold?

When did Gary pass by this station? :naughty:

Gary Bettman says owning NHL team 'a good, stable investment'

To quote:

"Specifically, Bettman was asked about buying a hockey franchise as an investment, whether it would be a good business move. You know, for all those moguls sitting at home wondering what to do with the millions of dollars they are using as a couch while they watch CNBC.

"For most sports teams we probably do better than the Dow," Bettman said. "It's a good, stable investment.""

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22274395/gary-bettman-says-owning-nhl-team-a-good-stable-investment

Next stop...Hooterville Refund Fraud! :sarcasm:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Was it this quiet in the week and a half before the Thrashers relocated?

I wouldn't say that. TSN had the Jets meter. The Atlanta-Journal Constitution forum was blowing up as was the Arizona Republic website since a lot of Peggers went over there and the Yotes fans followed them rooting for the Thrashers to stay so as to deny Peg a team. It was well known TNSE was negotiating with ASG.

However, we never knew that TNSE was in the NHLs office waiting for Glendale to not wire its $25 million AMF and then they would buy the team. A lot of us think/assume PKP is on deck and ready with wire instructions in hand but we don't know for sure.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
However, we never knew that TNSE was in the NHLs office waiting for Glendale to not wire its $25 million AMF and then they would buy the team. A lot of us think/assume PKP is on deck and ready with wire instructions in hand but we don't know for sure.

Will PKP be "Waiting On The Wire?"

I don't see any 'local' owner saving this franchise... :shakehead

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
TSN had the Jets meter

Which was absolutely pathetic on their part. Absolutely shameful. I'm glad the circus in Phoenix is so unprecedented and unpredictable that we are able to avoid such a disgrace. It will just be an announcement by the league that they've failed to find a local owner, followed by the obvious next step that QC has acquired the team. Quick and clean, please.

DyerMaker66*

Anyone want to explain to me how a Canadian media company supporting (though, I wouldn't even call it such) and covering a Canadian community is shameful?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
When did Gary pass by this station?

"For most sports teams we probably do better than the Dow," Bettman said. "It's a good, stable investment.""

Next stop...Hooterville Refund Fraud! :sarcasm:

Yes I saw that on the other thread. Sounds like something Mr. Haney would say about the Hooterville
Clamskinners while trying to sell you shares... and great link, one of my all-time favourite shows. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad