Phoenix LXXIX: This is The End, We Hope Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
What amount would the AMF be for those totals? Does he say?

Yes let me get my paper here are some quotes from Sherwood

"We planned for 6M and even if theres room for negociating i dont know how we could get much higher than 8M, i have the feeling that Mr leblanc and his partner will understand the emergency of the situation"

"Anthony is looking for a deal similar to Mr Jamison"

" we have 3 and we will need another vote"

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Gary is a pretty slick dude. The fact that he gets to split up the city council and sell his snake oil to them individually works in the NHL's favor I would say!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes let me get my paper here are some quotes from Sherwood

"We planned for 6M and even if theres room for negociating i dont know how we could get much higher than 8M, i have the feeling that Mr leblanc and his partner will understand the emergency of the situation"

"Anthony is looking for a deal similar to Mr Jamison"

" we have 3 and we will need another vote"

If this is correct, and there are only 3 confirmed votes for an AMF in the $6-8 million range, then the Gosbee group is going to have to live with a lot less than was on the table for Jamison if they want a lease with Glendale.

If they do settle this for $6-8 million, then the COG can thank all the folks that interfered with previous deals for getting a much better deal this time around. I guess that the GWI will have done it's job to protect the taxpayers, after all. :naughty:

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
My favorite quote

Mr Sherwood believes than Glendale could become a "Ghost town" , hes refering to Hartford, Ct who lost their whalers in 1997 "even Mcdonalds didnt want to do business there"

Yeah im sure all the Mcdonalds closed cause the whalers left town :laugh:

If you wanna used something to translate the article here are the links

Sherwood interview for quebecor owned paper

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2013/05/25/loptimisme-regne-a-glendale

Sherwood interview with anti-quebecor paper

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/sp...s-entre-les-mains-de-la-ville-de-glendale.php

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
If what I read earlier about there being three meetings planned with the NHL on Tuesday is true,
can someone please explain to me how this is even remotely in the city’s favour to do this?
Why would they allow themselves to be divided like that?

Last edited:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
My favorite quote

Mr Sherwood believes than Glendale could become a "Ghost town" , hes refering to Hartford, Ct who lost their whalers in 1997 "even Mcdonalds didnt want to do business there"

Yeah im sure all the Mcdonalds closed cause the whalers left town :laugh:

Didn't the mall around the arena close in Hartford, but the arena is still open?

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
If what I read earlier about there being three meetings planned with the NHL on Tuesday is true,
can someone please explain to me how this is even remotely in the city’s favour to do this?
Why would they allow themselves to be divided like that?

If they do small group meetings they can stay 100% private
If they do one big group meeting they are subject to public disclosure

I sure understand why Gary wants it like that but i agree with you the city has nothing to gain from this

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
It puts the pressure on Bettman and Gosbee to trust them, the vote is after the relocation deadline. CoG can make any wild promises they want on Tuesday as nothing is official, lure the NHL into a trap after the deadline passes and then dictate any terms they want.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
It puts the pressure on Bettman and Gosbee to trust them, the vote is after the relocation deadline. CoG can make any wild promises they want on Tuesday as nothing is official, lure the NHL into a trap after the deadline passes and then dictate any terms they want.

Despite the record revenues bla bla bla thing that we hear about the NHL, Bettman ending up with the team one more year and forced to pay rent to the jobbing manager could be the beginning of the end for him.

Oh, that is IF the jobbing manager agrees to a one year lease, which would be stupid. You bet they will say 10 years or nothing, watching Bettman stuck with no arena in the middle of august.

I would pay to watch this.

Mr commish, nobody cannot be replaced in 2013.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Still view this offer to Glendale as a weak attempt to deflect blame and save face if the city council rejects their offer and the team has to be sold to people that want to relocate them.

Bettman: What? We did everything in our power to keep the team in Glendale, but the city council rejected our offer! Not our fault!

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So other words by next Saturday, Which is June 1st, we should know if the team is staying or not?

Why would the NHL go thru this whole process of finding a buyer (RSE) and agreeing to sell them the team while all knowing that RSE wants up to $16M/yr and that COG will only go to $8M/yr.

Everyone thinks the NHL is handcuffed but Gary always has an ace up his sleeve.... ie it ain't over till it's over.... :sarcasm:

cds-ss_71791309-handcuffed-bussiness-man-with-the-ace-of-hearts-up-his-sleeve.ashx

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
So according to a gary sherwood interview in todays paper the votes are 3 for staying, 2 againts and 2 who still havent made up their mind and final vote will be June 11

So, let's breakdown the voting (from left to right), IMO:

GlendaleCityCouncil2013.jpg

Martinez: Yes - has always voted yes
Alvarez - No - has always voted no
Sherwood: Yes - (based on previous statements, new councilmember, replaced Frate)
Weiers (new Mayor) - No (based on previous statements)
Chavira - Undecided - new councilmember (replaced Clark)
Knaack: Yes - has always voted yes
Hugh - Undecided - new councilmember (replaced Lieberman)

Now it gets interesting.

The Mayor does not have to vote until the other councilmembers do, so it is not 2-2 but 3-1.

I believe Hugh and Chavira will need the most 'convincing.' :help:

Is this the end?

Last edited:

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Who is Joyce Clark btw?

this.... a woman who believes losses are calculated by ignoring revenue in an income / expense statement.

[edit] a woman who believes that in calculating the bottom line on an revenue / expense statement you can, if the situation requires it, to ignore revenue [/edit]

20120831-154840-g.jpg

...no more needs to be said !

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

How? How does a prospective owner (Gosbee) but a team that needs a huge subsidy when no such subsidy is going to be provided.

They will find a way to get it done.

You mean 100% sure like you were about The List? :naughty:

Do I sense the start of a new list KD?:naughty:

I love you guys. Years from now, after I am dead, my family will visit my grave and see that someone has carved the words "The List" into the stone.

:laugh:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I love you guys. Years from now, after I am dead, my family will visit my grave and see that someone has carved the words "The List" into the stone.

Where is the list, by the way? I could use a good walk down memory lane!

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
For those in Glendale saying that they'll be a ghost town without the NHL, remember that they have a little football stadium that attracts a few people every year.

And I would argue that losing a hockey team in a market where people don't pay a whole lot of attention to the NHL would hurt a lot less to the community than it did in Hartford, where the NHL was pretty important to the city.

If Glendale gives the NHL what they're asking, it will be a ghost town anyways because it'll be bankrupt.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Is that a mohawk on the guy with the gray suit?

Sherwood's hairstyle has changed from time to time, he likes it 'high and tight' but it is more 'gray' on the sides.

More of an 'illusion' (just like his AMF figures). :sarcasm:

Here's a different picture...

th

Is this the end?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
For those in Glendale saying that they'll be a ghost town without the NHL, remember that they have a little football stadium that attracts a few people every year.

And I would argue that losing a hockey team in a market where people don't pay a whole lot of attention to the NHL would hurt a lot less to the community than it did in Hartford, where the NHL was pretty important to the city.

If Glendale gives the NHL what they're asking, it will be a ghost town anyways because it'll be bankrupt.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Don't forget we now have Tanger Outlets, directly west of Jobing.com!

With the 'higher taxes' that were voted on to 'keep' the Coyotes, Tanger generated more than $1.6 million in sales tax revenue for the city in its first four months, more revenue than the Coyotes ever would!

Sources:
Glendale press release
New outlets at different ends of Valley raking in sales tax dollars

Is this the end?

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

With the 'higher taxes' that were voted on to 'keep' the Coyotes, Tanger generated more than $1.6 million in sales tax revenue for the city in its first four months, more revenue than the Coyotes ever would!

Sources:
Glendale press release
New outlets at different ends of Valley raking in sales tax dollars

Is this the end?

Judging by the amount of cars outside of that whole area on google maps, it really looks like the area would be absolutely fine without the Coyotes. There must be some idea stamped into the minds of some that if the Coyotes leave, people have no reason to ever go up there and everything will shrivel and die. The Phoenix area is a big place... Hartford, eh.. maybe not so much.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
If so, then it has to be amended, canceled or reissued prior to May 31st (this week). By not doing so, RFP's terms and conditions would have to be considered, right?

In my experience working with contracts and RFPs the CoG would be able to back out without any costs until they engage with one proponent to negotiate a contract. So they can open the packages, get the presentations from the selected bidders, then decide nah, we don't want any of these companies.

mmajeski06

Mar 24, 2010
Cary, NC
Logic would dictate that this is indeed the end. But you have the COG and GB involved, so anything can and will happen.

I think I will find myself more shocked if I hear the team is finally moving, than if I hear the COG and the NHL figured out some crazy way to make it work / delay for another year.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

You do indeed. And usually when one big box plants itself in an area more follow, which would be more than helpful increasing traffic. For whatever reasons, previous Council seemed resistant, Ellman as well, the vision being to create a Scottsdale in Glendale with Westgate, higher-end boutique. Didnt make sense. The area simply doesnt have the same wealth. Rather than it being exclusive you'd want it to be far more inclusive, absolutely courting larger retailers, the smaller independents direct beneficiaries of the anchor's, destination shopping.... and speaking of Tanger, have you visited, shopped there at all & how is it? Lots of variety, traffic, open 7 days a week?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
You do indeed. And usually when one big box plants itself in an area more follow, which would be more than helpful increasing traffic. For whatever reasons, previous Council seemed resistant, Ellman as well, the vision being to create a Scottsdale in Glendale with Westgate, higher-end boutique. Didnt make sense. The area simply doesnt have the same wealth. Rather than it being exclusive you'd want it to be far more inclusive, absolutely courting larger retailers, the smaller independents direct beneficiaries of the anchor's, destination shopping.... and speaking of Tanger, have you visited, shopped there at all & how is it? Lots of variety, traffic, open 7 days a week?

Visited, shopped (bought one item), lots of different stores, traffic heaviest on weekends, open seven days a week (closed Christmas Day only).

Not impressed (from a price point, not real 'outlet' pricing, merchandise is last year's fashions, some stores are 'seconds' - starting to sound like a Fashioniza :laugh:).

Yes, there is the 10.2% tax rate (good for the city) but real 'bargain' shoppers tend to go eastward to Scottsdale (8.95%), Tempe (9.3%), Chandler (8.8%), and Phoenix (9.3) malls.

Best outlets are Outlets at Anthem (north of Phoenix) and Arizona Mills (Tempe).

Tanger is the new kid in the market, with some stiff competition like the new Phoenix Premium Outlets on the Gila River Indian Community, near Arizona Mills.

Time will tell.

Is this the end?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad