Phoenix LXXIX: This is The End, We Hope Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Like Joyce Clark said, how can RSE be considered for managing Jobing.com since they do not meet any of these conditions:

i. Is a nationally or regionally recognized facility management company which manages publicly or privately-owned public assembly and/or sports and entertainment facilities; :shakehead

ii. During the past three years, has successfully managed at least one NHL or National Basketball Association (“NBAâ€)/all-purpose arenas with a seating capacity of at least 10,000 persons; or; :shakehead:shakehead

iii. The Manager must have current experience in operating such a facility on behalf of a public entity, such as the City of Glendale. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

http://joyceclarkunfiltered.com/read-carefully/

I think the NHL will have an easier time convincing the CoG to look past these issues than getting them to provide more money. Having said that, I am 100% sure it will get done.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
"There are still a few hurdles for the NHL and the new ownership group to hammer out with the City of Glendale for the deal to be complete. Morgan reports that RSE wants Glendale to pay the Coyotes between $13-15 million a year to manage the arena. Glendale has only budgeted $6 million."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...t-phoenix-coyotes-sold-to-gosbeeleblanc-group

So if the max COG can pay is $8M that means only a $6M difference. Why hasn't the state kicked in any money?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
So other words by next Saturday, Which is June 1st, we should know if the team is staying or not?

Why would the NHL go thru this whole process of finding a buyer (RSE) and agreeing to sell them the team while all knowing that RSE wants up to $16M/yr and that COG will only go to $8M/yr.

I see it more cynical, why did the NHL wait until the last minute to approve the buyer? Last year they approved Jamison, extended the lease and he was unable to buy them even with the subsidy.

just seems like a scam

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the NHL will have an easier time convincing the CoG to look past these issues than getting them to provide more money. Having said that, I am 100% sure it will get done.

How? How does a prospective owner (Gosbee) but a team that needs a huge subsidy when no such subsidy is going to be provided.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Who is Joyce Clark btw?

Until very recently she was the Mayor of Glendale. She cheerleaded the NHL throughout almost the entirety of this saga, but close to the end of her term she turned against the NHL.

She... um... never instilled a lot of confidence in certain people that she had a good grasp of accounting and economics.

xzchief

May 7, 2013
So other words by next Saturday, Which is June 1st, we should know if the team is staying or not?

Why would the NHL go thru this whole process of finding a buyer (RSE) and agreeing to sell them the team while all knowing that RSE wants up to $16M/yr and that COG will only go to $8M/yr.

For four years, the CoG has caved into the NHL's demands. Hence, the $50 million in "arena management fees." The NHL is surely hoping the CoG will cave again Tuesday rather than lose the team.

Glendale has committed hundreds of millions of dollars toward subsidies and a new arena. If the Coyotes leave, that money has officially been wasted. The right thing to do may be to stop throwing good money after bad but it's hard to do.

The NHL is hoping it's too hard for the CoG to do. Quebec City is waiting in the wings if the CoG indeed stops the subsidies.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
Until very recently she was the Mayor of Glendale. She cheerleaded the NHL throughout almost the entirety of this saga, but close to the end of her term she turned against the NHL.

She... um... never instilled a lot of confidence in certain people that she had a good grasp of accounting and economics.

Rectification : Helen Scruggs was Glendale's previous Mayor. Joyce Clark was member of the council.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is what happens when KDB doesn't post the thread history. Joyce is an ex-councillor of COG.

ok thank you. So she has no say in any of this then cool.

I believe the COG have too much to lose by saying NO to RSE. Losing the team will be a big blow to the area and will be stuck with a arena with no team. Though cant they get an AHL team and or some other type of sport in there?

xzchief

May 7, 2013

I believe the COG have too much to lose by saying NO to RSE. Losing the team will be a big blow to the area and will be stuck with a arena with no team. Though cant they get an AHL team and or some other type of sport in there?

The Phoenix Suns play in the city of Phoenix so the NBA won't come to Glendale's arena. If Glendale can't support an NHL team, it's hard to believe fans will watch an AHL team. Never mind that CoG still has NHL-sized construction bonds to repay.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

They could with a proper arena manager. The arena hasn't had many events besides the Coyotes, which is the reason they are taking bids for a 3rd party manager.

*edit* I misread your question

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
They could with a proper arena manager. The arena hasn't had many events besides the Coyotes, which is the reason they are taking bids for a 3rd party manager.

He would make an excellent arena manager! :sarcasm:

mrt2.jpg

Is this the end?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Looks at thread title and wonders how this was missed:

A sampling of lyrics:

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand
In a...desperate land

Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There's danger on the edge of town
Ride the King's highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the gold mine
Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here, and we'll do the rest

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
If, somehow, Gosbee does purchase the team and has a 3 or 5 year out clause, this wouldn't be the end . :rolly:

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
The NHL and Team Gosbee have three meetings Tuesday in Glendale.

1. Mayor Jerry Weiers,
2. Three councilmembers, and
3. The other three councilmembers

After those meetings, the NHL and the CoG should be able to answer one question, "Is a deal possible?"

If yes, they'll keep talking. If no, Glendale will look forward to reviewing the RFPs and get a new arena manager. Meanwhile, the NHL will prepare to announce the new Quebec Nordiques.

Will this be the cupcake summit or will elk pies be served?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
"There are still a few hurdles for the NHL and the new ownership group to hammer out with the City of Glendale for the deal to be complete. Morgan reports that RSE wants Glendale to pay the Coyotes between $13-15 million a year to manage the arena. Glendale has only budgeted $6 million."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...t-phoenix-coyotes-sold-to-gosbeeleblanc-group

So if the max COG can pay is $8M that means only a $6M difference. Why hasn't the state kicked in any money?

You mean get the taxpayers of Arizona to kick in $6M per year? According to the law in Arizona, this is illegal ( queue the GoldWater Institute ) first off, and secondly the politicians that run the state want to keep their jobs.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Those qualifications would magically disappear if, by miracle, they could come to an agreement on a lease/AMF/egg management fee.

Precisely. If its sole sourced & enjoined to the franchise, pre-requisites vanish but only to a point. The exercise in hiring Beacon, understanding finally whats genuinely involved in managing a building etc, I dont see any way neophytes Renaissance just waltz in there demanding $10-$15M per annum when even if the city had it, which they dont, but if the did would be willing to pay nearly treble the going rate. Even six millions pricey, as that should be lower on the retainer up front, heavily performance/commission based. As it sits, I simply cannot imagine the Mayor & Council just rolling over and acceding to such a request, dispensing with the RFP, playing along, bending over some more. Not happening.

The "max" Glendale can pay is $6M. Not $7M. Not $8M. Certainly not $10M+. They. Do. Not. Have. It. They cant even come up with $600,000 in additional and beyond much needed funds for Fire & Police, the former looking at closing stations as a result, Cops laid off etc. In other words, even at $6M, rich, and pray your house doesnt catch fire, you need an ambulance, a Cop, because your wait time? Lengthy.... as for why doesnt the State get involved? Maybe you should ask former District State Senator & now Mayor of Glendale Jerry Weiers that question. The Governor claims such issues are "local" and even if they wanted to help, their broke, and certainly wouldnt be using funds to bail out professional hockey teams, nor any sports franchise or private business. Arizona's got a little something called the Gift Clause in its Constitution. Even Senator John "I love hockey" McCain got involved at one point, lobbying state government on behalf of the City, talking to Phoenix, Peoria etc. The old saying "not my problem Maing" likely all he ever heard, echoing through the vast emptiness & vacuums of his mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark