Phoenix LXXIX: This is The End, We Hope Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think the NHL will have an easier time convincing the CoG to look past these issues than getting them to provide more money. Having said that, I am 100% sure it will get done.

You mean 100% sure like you were about The List? :naughty:

Even if the CoG is convinced to ignore their own rules and criteria for selecting an arena manager, there is still the issue of money. If said buyer wants $15M per year and the CoG can only afford $8M per year, this is not a small gap. It's a canyon, and it will stop any deal from getting done. Hey, the team may stay.... It just means either the CoG caves and starts writing cheques they have no ability to pay, or the NHL runs the arena for say $6M per year and eats all the losses on the team. No problem.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Another thing many seem to discount is the difference between what COG and Gosbee needs is 9 million a YEAR, every year. it's not like it's a one time payment.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
ok thank you. So she has no say in any of this then cool.

I believe the COG have too much to lose by saying NO to RSE. Losing the team will be a big blow to the area and will be stuck with a arena with no team. Though cant they get an AHL team and or some other type of sport in there?

Why the need? They need to consider the arena managers who submitted bids, if they get a Live nation who can market anything to hypnotize parents to driving to the middle of nowhere for bieber or some crap like that, who are they to say no to.

I think COG has opened Pandora's Box and any bids that deviate materially from the AMG bids will be challenged.

GWI is waiting, but is it really GWI that everyone has to worry about, or an aggrieved bidder with the cash and legal fire power to put up a fight.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the NHL will have an easier time convincing the CoG to look past these issues than getting them to provide more money. Having said that, I am 100% sure it will get done.

Do I sense the start of a new list KD?:naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Who is Joyce Clark btw?

Lead theorist and proponent for the new "Clarkonomics" economics theory.
Unabashed Queen Mother of the Shane Doan fan club.
(Not so) Secret Admirer of the "Silver Fox" (aka Greg Jamison).
Chief target / victim of a conspiracy led by a particular segment of Glendale's population.

I could go on... but that's a good start.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Like Joyce Clark said, how can RSE be considered for managing Jobing.com since they do not meet any of these conditions:

i. Is a nationally or regionally recognized facility management company which manages publicly or privately-owned public assembly and/or sports and entertainment facilities; :shakehead

ii. During the past three years, has successfully managed at least one NHL or National Basketball Association (“NBAâ€)/all-purpose arenas with a seating capacity of at least 10,000 persons; or; :shakehead:shakehead

iii. The Manager must have current experience in operating such a facility on behalf of a public entity, such as the City of Glendale. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

http://joyceclarkunfiltered.com/read-carefully/

They would only come into play if they're going through the RFP. They're not. The city can revoke the RFP at any time.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
If I were them I would try by all means necessary to play in US Airways Center again.

And pay a huge rent, while getting few if any of the revenues, to US Airways Arena, a US Airways Arena that still has all the problems from the time they moved out?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is question that came on the Quebec thread, Is it to late to move the team now? The NHL meets Glendale on May 28, it will be too late by then to move the team.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
This is question that came on the Quebec thread, Is it to late to move the team now? The NHL meets Glendale on May 28, it will be too late by then to move the team.

Nope. Thrashers sale was announced on the 30th or 31st and the NHL set the May 31-June 1 relocation deadline in Coyotes bankruptcy court.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Why did the team move from Phoenix to Glendale in the first place?
That's a great question (yes I'm back).

The answer? US Airways arena in Phoenix was a dump not suited for hockey. Glendale had a City council who dreamed of a sports and entertainment district.

Then the US market crashed into a deep recession, money was gone, jobs were lost, houses were in foreclosure, but the debt caused by the CoG council was still there.

The NHL demanded compensation for the losses to keep the team in Glendale, the council obliged putting up not one payment of $25M but TWO! Effectively erasing their nest egg they built up in the General Fund (IE they are now broke).

Time has run out on this unfortunately, the new council doesn't seem to be as much of morons as the original group.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc

Really?

Then, I'd love this to happen

Mayor- Mr Bettman, we appreciate you being here and all the efforts the NHL made to find an owner.

GB- Thanks

Mayor- But tell me, why did all this happens on may 28rd? Why wait may 28rd? Serious people would not wait at the very last minute to do this isnt it?

GB- Uhhh, it is very much complicated, it's a complex process....

Mayor- ... that have been going on for, 4 years is'nt it?

GB- Uhhhh

Mayor- So, tell me, this could have been done in march? Is'nt it?

GB- Well..

Mayor- At the very last, march, if not february? Lemme help you remove the gun you're holding on my head. You waited to put pressure on us is'nt?

GB- No, I swear

Mayor- Explain to me why the arena made profits instead on losses during the lockout, with your near to inexistent efforts to bring non hockey events?

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
(...) The city can revoke the RFP at any time.

In fact, I think they could if they decided they were not, for example, searching for an arena manager anymore. In this case where it would only be to by-pass their own RFP's terms and conditions, I really doubt it.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
In fact, I think they could if they decided they were not, for example, searching for an arena manager anymore. In this case where it would only be to by-pass their own RFP's terms and conditions, I really doubt it.

Nope they can stop the process at their sole discretion. There is no expectation right now that they must complete this process.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

The RFP says the city can cancel it anytime they want to. Until the contract is signed with an arena manager, they can do what they want with it. Granted, at this late date, the likely will not because the NHL/Gosbee simply isn't going to offer a better deal than what they would get through the RFP.

City reserves the right to amend, cancel or reissue the RFP at its sole discretion. This includes the right to change the Response Due Date and Contract Award Date. Notice of all amendments and cancellations will be communicated by Beacon Sports and posted on the City’s website (please contact Beacon Sports if you have any questions or need further clarification). Managers are responsible for monitoring for new or changing information.

http://www.glendaleaz.com/purchasing/documents/GLENDALEARENAREQUESTFORPROPOSAL-RFP-April16-2013.pdf

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
So according to a gary sherwood interview in todays paper the votes are 3 for staying, 2 againts and 2 who still havent made up their mind and final vote will be June 11

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
Nope they can stop the process at their sole discretion. There is no expectation right now that they must complete this process.

If so, then it has to be amended, canceled or reissued prior to May 31st (this week). By not doing so, RFP's terms and conditions would have to be considered, right?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So according to a gary sherwood interview in todays paper the votes are 3 for staying, 2 againts and 2 who still havent made up their mind and final vote will be June 11

So the 3 that are voting to keep the team..... at what cost point are they voting yes? If its for an AMF of $6-8M then sure I can see some "yes" votes, but if it's for an AMF of $15M... can't see anyone voting "yes". Unless they truly don't care how they are going to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad