Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yup. This is being orchestrated by the NHL to pressure Glendale

Or whatever alternative (relocation) groups they have in mind. Getting the best deal possible cuts both ways.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yup. This is being orchestrated by the NHL to pressure Glendale, and put the black hat on them if a lease can't be worked out with the new mayor and council. Machiavellian. Meanwhile, ownership hopefuls might think that Glendale is most vulnerable now, and if not, then they might be aspiring to buy the franchise and take it elsewhere. I doubt that the NHL will entertain that notion, as I noted above.

I think the first part of your statement is spot on. They've tried it the other way...why not put all of the pressure on Glendale this time?

Phoenix LXXV : **** or get off the pot?

The second part may be but I wouldn't discount the thought entirely. If one of these groups is well enough off financially to buy the team and sustain the losses that will go with it, perhaps they become the perspective owners for Seattle or Kansas City. This is the NHL. Stranger things have happened.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If there were only one bidder for the Yotes, then they could set the price. If there were multiple bidders, both inside and outside Arizona, then the asking price could assuredly be set higher. With all these groups that pop up, even if obviously fake, and the seemingly legitimate interest from Seattle, the NHL could ask a lot more out of Quebec suitors than otherwise.

And, as I've said many times before, this whole charade keeps hope alive in the Yotes fanbase as the last thing that the league wants is for the last leg of the season to be in front of Florida Marlins-sized "crowds."

Or who knows? Maybe these purported buyers and the increasingly real threat of losing the team might jar Glendale into re-offering a subsidy again, as unlikely as that may be. Or, more likely, help give the image that the league was trying to keep the team in the desert as long as possible just in case Glendale ever gets litigious and tries to get its money back by arguing that the NHL hadn't been operating in good faith and had given up while still having municipal money propping the team up.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
555156_506846269378580_211882485_n.jpg

893456_506857966044077_1593498309_o.jpg

Gee! This guy is a genius! He is now everywhere, from Las Vegas to NYC.

You would almost think the growth strategy for his firm is around financial adviser recruitment or something. Sort of like the growth strategy of most other wealth management firms...

Oh, hey, he's issued a bunch of other press releases that would imply that.

http://capstoneaffluentstrategies.com/press-releases/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So with Glendale willing to hand over the keys to the city vault, no buyer could be found willing to take on the risk of owning the Coyotes. Now with a new supposedly tougher council everyone and their dog (sadly, I mean "and their dog" quite literally I might add) wants a piece of the team...Yah, this definitely makes sense.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Shocking that with no AMF on the table there are so many suitors. :amazed:
yeah, that's what makes the entire trainwreck nothing more than a sad parody now.

jamison had the golden amf ticket in his pocket and - as we were led to believe - was still unable to raise the money. even my dog realizes that if he couldn't get it done then, nobody can now.

its all about a bunch of drunken frat boys now, running up on stage to jump up and down and make fools of themselves just before the lights get turned off. ... "did i ever tell ya about the time i nearly bought an nhl team?" ... "yes grampa, you did. we all love that story. now put your teeth back in and pass the potatoes".

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
yeah, that's what makes the entire trainwreck nothing more than a sad parody now.

jamison had the golden amf ticket in his pocket and - as we were led to believe - was still unable to raise the money. even my dog realizes that if he couldn't get it done then, nobody can now.

its all about a bunch of drunken frat boys now, running up on stage to jump up and down and make fools of themselves just before the lights get turned off. ... "did i ever tell ya about the time i nearly bought an nhl team?" ... "yes grampa, you did. we all love that story. now put your teeth back in and pass the potatoes".
Completely agree. Similar to Atlanta in 2011 - a bunch of nobodies come out of the woodwork to express an interest in buying the team. Kind of sad really and unfair to the Coyote fans.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Completely agree. Similar to Atlanta in 2011 - a bunch of nobodies come out of the woodwork to express an interest in buying the team. Kind of sad really and unfair to the Coyote fans.

The NHL must cringe. You have to give everyone who ask the benefit of the doubt - you don't want to be accused of looking past potential buyers.
They know they are a waste of time and just kicking the tires but... :(

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
This is being orchestrated by the NHL to pressure Glendale.

Pressure Glendale?

"Give us 5x more than this franchise could ever be worth to your city, even though you are already in a budget crisis largely due to ill advised sports spending. You'll probably take another credit hit from Moodys and you'll probably get sued for providing this large scale subsidy but... if you don't do it, we'll take the team and all it's hemorrhaging red ink someplace else."

Pressure them like that?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Why do I get the feeling Pastor is going to approach this thinking he can get the price down? NHL will say "170" Million. Pastor will be like "Yea, that's nice bargaining, seriously though I'll offer 70 million." NHL "170 million" Pastor: Okay, jokes over here, I'm being serious, fine you want an up of an ante 90 million. NHL "170" Pastor: You guys are ****ing serious aren't you?? You're nuts! No wonder no one is buying is buying this team, you can't ask this!" NHL "170 million"

Pastor leaves in disgust.

Then I bet you Pastor calls a press conference saying talking about "dysfunction" and "the parties are totally overvaluing this product right now-ect, ect" (even though Pastor said the product is "undervalued").

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Why do I get the feeling Pastor is going to approach this thinking he can get the price down? NHL will say "170" Million. Pastor will be like "Yea, that's nice bargaining, seriously though I'll offer 70 million." NHL "170 million" Pastor: Okay, jokes over here, I'm being serious, fine you want an up of an ante 90 million. NHL "170" Pastor: You guys are ****ing serious aren't you?? You're nuts! No wonder no one is buying is buying this team, you can't ask this!" NHL "170 million"

Then I bet you Pastor calls a press conference saying talking about "dysfunction" and "the parties are totally overvaluing this product right now-ect, ect" (even though Pastor said the product is "undervalued").

Pastor's thing is an advertisement operation only. He does not want to buy this team, or, at his own terms both with the league and the city.

He wanted to buy? Why did'nt showed up when the gift was on the table?

He say to dumb reporters this asset is a fantastic opportunity but don't rush to buy it?

No, he waited 3 weeks before the end of season, but been working on this for 6 months, never contacting somebody in CoG?

Weiers certainly loves this.

The only thing Pastor is looking for is attention for his firm and new accounts, thats all.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City

Pastor will offer 120 millions,
NHL : " we want 200 millions"
Pastor : "but I though you were asking 170millions for the franchise !?
NHL : "you said our product is undervalued, so we increase the price."

:sarcasm:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Pressure Glendale?

"Give us 5x more than this franchise could ever be worth to your city, even though you are already in a budget crisis largely due to ill advised sports spending. You'll probably take another credit hit from Moodys and you'll probably get sued for providing this large scale subsidy but... if you don't do it, we'll take the team and all it's hemorrhaging red ink someplace else."

Pressure them like that?

But if the franchise leaves the city will lose the opportunity to invest in lucrative parking rights!

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Pastor the impostor! As said in previous posts, this guy is all about eyeballs and exposure on a small national level! He will eventually put out a final press release announcing his dropping of his bid when the truth gets out! Saddest aspect is once again that GB allows this kind of tire kicking to go on without some league inquiry into this guys suitability. It makes the league and the sawed off Commish look terribly weak and unorganized! Just what the league needs in a strike shortened season is another act in the charade that has made such a mockery of GB, the COG Council and the fans. From IEH, to MH and GJ all of these impostors parading around like they really have money. Until somebody shows up with a "B" after their net worth statement, this will continue to be a horror show perpetrated on a victim plied with morphine and begging for a gun!

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Killion, I think that the only way that they stay for next season is with a lease with an out-clause within a few years. I just can't see how the COG can afford the sort of subsidization that would be required for a long-term locked-in lease. They just don't have the finances or political will to do that.

I think that the prospect of an "out clause" might have piqued the interest of a few additional ownership hopefuls, and might have even roused Reinsdorf from his slumber.

It would be ironic if the COG and one of these new ownership hopefuls proposed a lease with an out clause for relocation, with the NHL resisting because they want a "long term solution" for Glendale.

If an owner does purchase and keep the Coyotes in Glendale on a lease with an out clause based on financial performance, there is going to be carnage on these Boards in the coming years. Can you imagine the discussions about attendance and ticket prices, etc.? I'm not sure how many posters would survive. It'd be like a fish in a barrel for the Mods.

The CoG knows there will be a subsidy, most other teams are subsidized in the NHL. If the rumors are true about the 15 year out clause, I think they'll go for it.

I would think any owner would have some sort of financially based performance clauses. They're definitely not purchasing the team for poops and smiles :)

GF

Nov 4, 2012
All I can think of is:
A day late and a (hundred million) dollar short.

Where's the gong so we can stop this show? :shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As said in previous posts, this guy is all about eyeballs and exposure on a small national level!

Sorry mesa, but this guy Pastor? Real Deal. A Real Life Walking Talking Valley Boy from Irvine. Yep... last 6 months? Staff's increased by 900%. Opened a branch office in San Diego.... table 22, Jakes Wine Bar in El Cajon. Excellent patio right out front to watch the Freak Show Parade along 6th. Very chill. Way better than BevMo. Like, way.... oh, and like... no, wait... sorry.... forgot what I was going to say... Ehrmigawd, lookit that guy with the Cap'n Morgan bottle over at the 7/11... say what? He's in charge of Media Relations?....

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The CoG knows there will be a subsidy, most other teams are subsidized in the NHL.

Well, most teams play in subsidized arenas as the Coyotes do at Jobing.com. That's the $10MM or so in debt servicing the city pays every year on the building.

It's exceedingly rare to see a large scale annual operational subsidy on top of that. That would be the additional $15MM or so that potential buyers have been seeking from the city.

That's what makes Clarkonomics so hilarious: "We have to incur this additional $15MM in debt or we wont be able to pay our $10MM debt."

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Well maybe we can see the anointed ownership group emerge in time for the April 16 budget workshop. That should be entertaining!

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
The CoG knows there will be a subsidy, most other teams are subsidized in the NHL. If the rumors are true about the 15 year out clause, I think they'll go for it.

I would think any owner would have some sort of financially based performance clauses. They're definitely not purchasing the team for poops and smiles :)

Stop your thoughts right there! Does it need to be said again that the economic metrics in any form do not support anyone ever making a dime! At the end of the day this is precisely the reason why this team will never be bought, even with some sort of subsidy! Once again, do not forget GWI!!:shakehead

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Sorry mesa, but this guy Pastor? Real Deal. A Real Life Walking Talking Valley Boy from Irvine. Yep... last 6 months? Staff's increased by 900%. Opened a branch office in San Diego.... table 22, Jakes Wine Bar in El Cajon. Excellent patio right out front to watch the Freak Show Parade along 6th. Very chill. Way better than BevMo. Like, way.... oh, and like... no, wait... sorry.... forgot what I was going to say... Ehrmigawd, lookit that guy with the Cap'n Morgan bottle over at the 7/11... say what? He's in charge of Media Relations?....

K, that says NOTHING of his financial fortitude! If he is such a smart guy, he will figure out sooner than later how bad an investment this is when he has full access to the books! Financial guys a re pretty pragmatic customers, bent on seeing black numbers on the bottom line, not hope! This is a guy who claims he has been doing his DD for the last six months, yet knew nothing of the Thrasher move to the Peg, has not had contact with the COG or GB, and has left himself with little time to negotiate a reasonable deal with all party`s before GB pushes the team to another location. Don`t forget, the city has no money to lend, the new buyer to consider profitability will need to dramatically alter the pricing in many phases of the business model. 15 year commitment in a known terrible location, doing business with a Council known to have skulls full of mush will have this guy raising the white flag from day one! Think it over K, this is not a workable deal! Finally, most financial buyers have an end game in mind which usually involves a selling price, after his losses pile up and raise his basis , he will never profit from such a risky transaction!:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad