Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Brrrrreaking nnnnews... :laugh:

Coyotes ownership saga hits stretch run

"Here’s what we know. The group led by George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc has already submitted its purchase bid to the NHL, and Darin Pastor’s group submitted the paperwork for its proposal to the league on Friday. Greg Jamison’s group is still working on a proposal, but it is expected that they will submit it by the middle of next week, likely under pressure of an imposed NHL deadline. "

Source: http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/phoenix-coyotes/story/Coyotes-ownership-saga-hits-stretch-run?blockID=889001&feedID=3702

Be seeing you! ;)

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest Jamison and his investors miss the deadline.

I am also sure that the NHL will accept Gosbee and the clowns bid and then place all the pressure on the COG for an AMF. The COG should say "great we have 8 years to work out an AMF under the NHL's current transferrable lease agreement. We are sure we can work out an AMF sooner or later. Trust us.;) We trusted you. after all we purchased a $50 milion dollar insurance policy. Remember that willy D.?"

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Anyone remember what ICE Edge asked for last time?

If you can totally rely on the Wiki page...

"The NHL also revealed another bid, by businessman Anthony Leblanc of Thunder Bay, Ontario to purchase the Coyotes, which they also rejected as 'incomplete' but encouraged Leblanc to pursue the bid. Leblanc's company, Ice Edge Holdings Inc. publicly revealed their bid with a letter of intent filed with the bankruptcy court. The club would bid up to $150 million for the team, and keep it in Phoenix, with up to five games played annually in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Ice Edge also named Canadian businessman Daryl Jones as one of the principals in its group.

On September 9, 2009, it was reported that both Reinsdorf and Ice Edge Holdings had withdrawn from the bidding for the Coyotes, leaving only Balsillie and the NHL as prospective purchasers."

Source: http://www.ask.com/wiki/Phoenix_Coyotes_bankruptcy

Who will make the next Wiki entry? :laugh:

Be seeing you! ;)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Amazing these guys buying a team that supposedly wasn't portable, without a financial commitment from the city.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
O.K. do I have this right?

There are now 4 potential buyers for the Coyotes?

1. Gosbee and a clown (sounds like an early 80's sitcom)
2. Dan Pastorini. I mean Darin Pastor. Pastorini probably has a better chance of buying the team.;)

According to Cap'n Morgan

3. Hulsizer.:laugh:
4. Jamison. :laugh::laugh:

Quite the line-up.

I could see something getting done with Gosbee. 15 years at 10 million a year = $150 million. Assuming the COG would go for 10 milliion a year.

Things are getting interesting. I would speculate that there could be a deadline.:sarcasm:

Actually five - the possibility that Reinsdorf could still be in the running was raised:

"While John Kaites also announced his participation in the Coyotes sweepstakes some time ago, he hasn’t been heard from lately. That does NOT mean Reinsdorf (through Kaites) is actually out of the running."

I wonder if IEH is simultaneously involved in the Hulsizer, Jamison, AND Gosbee bids? Or maybe they'll get involved in the Pastor bid too?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Pretty bizarre really. Le Blanc or one of them shooting off his mouth that Reinsdorf should put up or get out of the way, demanding an exclusive negotiating contract, forcing the City's hand who apparently believed they were for real, JR taking his leave. As I recall Ice Edge wanted Glendale to guarantee minimums on a proposed CFD for Westgate, the City in turn asking them for their bona-fides', as in statements from their backers & bankers that they actually had the kind of coin & or credit facilities available to, you know, buy & then fund ongoing operations of the team? Glendale messing that up, as generally, as in just common sense you do that BEFORE you sign an exclusive contract with anyone.... so they get into this mess with these guys and of course those requests & requirements were neither met nor satisfied, IEH's claiming that they had been, Glendale telling them nya-uh, and furthermore that they werent about to be guaranteeing projections on a CFD. Some Due-Diligence from the NHL then as now would certainly be refreshing, as it would have & would now save everyone a lot of grief & wasted time, as clearly were the cases with both Ice Edge & arguably Huslsizer (not good enough for St.Louis but good enough for Phoenix?, that was just wrong on every level).

Last edited:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

"The NHL also revealed another bid, by businessman Anthony Leblanc of Thunder Bay, Ontario to purchase the Coyotes, which they also rejected as 'incomplete' but encouraged Leblanc to pursue the bid. Leblanc's company, Ice Edge Holdings Inc. publicly revealed their bid with a letter of intent filed with the bankruptcy court. The club would bid up to $150 million for the team, and keep it in Phoenix, with up to five games played annually in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Ice Edge also named Canadian businessman Daryl Jones as one of the principals in its group.

On September 9, 2009, it was reported that both Reinsdorf and Ice Edge Holdings had withdrawn from the bidding for the Coyotes, leaving only Balsillie and the NHL as prospective purchasers."

Be seeing you! ;)

haha well I remember that part during the bankruptcy, I was curious what their demand was to the city when they tried to buy from the league.

majicman*

You all of people should know that's old news. If you hate the team and Glendale, why bother to promote your interests.

Be seeing you! ;)

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Has there been any indication from the latest potential owners that they need an AMF from the city of Glendale?

Or does the city and new mayor figure these groups won't ask for one?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Has there been any indication from the latest potential owners that they need an AMF from the city of Glendale?

Or does the city and new mayor figure these groups won't ask for one?

More Kabuki Theatre...

From Glendale OKs new 3-tier approach to Coyotes arena deal:

Apparently, Mayor Weiers has known about these 'potential' owners in 'private' when these are suppose to be 'public' discussions...

"Weiers told his colleagues he understands that a couple of “very strong†investors could purchase the team and seek a new deal for the arena “extremely soon.†He did not identify the potential new buyers, nor did he define “extremely soon.†And none of the others asked him to elaborate about either."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130206glendale-oks-new-tier-approach-to-arena-nhl.html

So, is that why Tindall was been ousted (now officially resigned but still 'consulting') and Skeete 'demoted' to his former job of 'assistant city manager?'

Since these sessions are going on behind closed doors, your (insert figure here) million dollar AMF guess is as good as anyone's.

Be seeing you! ;)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I would assume Weirs thinks extremely soon is 9+ weeks.:) He should have used the word immininently or the status quo 2 weeks.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
K i havent kept up with this what so ever, But i would come in and lurk every so often to see whats going on.

I have no idea whos who.. No idea the names of these guys and their involvment..

All i want to know is, since this wil be resolved in the near future.. Is it HIGHLY likely the Yotes move? If so, where?

Or did they find a buyer and planning on staying?

Thats all.. :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
More Kabuki Theatre...

Apparently, Mayor Weiers has known about these 'potential' owners in 'private' when these are suppose to be 'public' discussions...

"Weiers told his colleagues he understands that a couple of “very strong” investors could purchase the team and seek a new deal for the arena “extremely soon.” He did not identify the potential new buyers, nor did he define “extremely soon.” And none of the others asked him to elaborate about either."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130206glendale-oks-new-tier-approach-to-arena-nhl.html

So, is that why Tindall was been ousted (now officially resigned but still 'consulting') and Skeete 'demoted' to his former job of 'assistant city manager?'

Since these sessions are going on behind closed doors, your (insert figure here) million dollar AMF guess is as good as anyone's.

Be seeing you! ;)

It seems quite obvious what is happening, and it is really the only scenario that makes sense.

The NHL needs this resolved very soon, with either a local sale or a relocation. The last effort had Jamison fiddling around for over a year to get a lease agreement, and then couldn't even complete the sale. The most expeditious and definitive way to conclude the saga is for the NHL to agree to terms of sale with a qualified ownership group (or two), with the stipulation that they conclude a long-term lease agreement with the COG by a specified date. If the approved owners can't come to an agreement with the COG, the purchase agreement doesn't proceed and the NHL looks at relocation options. This is clearly the NHL's strategy for putting the ball back in the COG's court, with a threat of imminent relocation. This has been their most fruitful strategy in the past.

I think that we can expect new ownership groups to ask for a deal as good or better than Jamison's, with the possibility that one or both will want some sort of "out" clause. It will be interesting to see how the NHL handles that. I would expect that they would put in a clause that does not make the team portable per se (for that owner), but would allow them to sell for relocation to try to recoup some of their money if things don't work out in Glendale.

Now, the drama turns back to the COG council chambers. :nod:

Last edited:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
When the Coyotes franchise is in its most precarious position. When the potential for a sweet heart subsidy seems least likely. This is when a glut of suitors comes to the bargaining table. All too crazy, even for this story. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this seems all very convenient.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
K i havent kept up with this what so ever, But i would come in and lurk every so often to see whats going on.

1) All i want to know is, since this wil be resolved in the near future.. Is it HIGHLY likely the Yotes move? If so, where?
2) Or did they find a buyer and planning on staying?

Thats all.. :)

1) 50/50 they move this spring summer, if so, would just have to be Quebec City I should think...

2) Purportedly 3, 4 maybe even 5 groups circling. I believe the NHL would like to sell locally, prefer it, however they are acting more like a buyer than a seller, frankly like someones worst client from Hell but what else is new?. This is the NHL.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

Can confirm this. RT @NBCSportsRoc Things moving quickly: Just told, Darin Pastor's team submitting paperwork to NHL today.

Honestly, who cares? It means nothing. It doesn't matter if Pastor submits an offer sheet or goes down to Bettman's office and plunks down a stack of Washingtons... the ONLY paper work that will matter is the one on which the city of Glendale agrees to mortgage their future on by subsidizing this team. Don't get excited until that starts to happen ( and fail ;) ) once again.

Bingo. IEH has a letter of agreement for purchase with the NHL in December 2009. They just couldn't find the lease or the money. In fact, that's been the problem. The groups that have been able to negotiate a lease haven't had the money, and the ones that have the money haven't concluded a lease. I wonder if there's a lesson there.

I expect any number of groups trying to get a purchase agreement together with the NHL. This is the perfect time to try to purchase the team. They will have great leverage with the COG in lease negotiations, and perhaps they think that this might give them the option of relocating to an attractive place if the deal in Glendale doesn't fall through. If groups think that, I expect that they will be disappointed. I think that the most the NHL will allow is for a team to resell for relocation if there is an out clause in the lease with Glendale. If the team relocates, it will be to a location and with an owner of the NHL's choosing. They won't just hand the team over to one of these groups and let them move it later (unless it's Reinsdorf, perhaps).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When the Coyotes franchise is in its most precarious position. When the potential for a sweet heart subsidy seems least likely. This is when a glut of suitors comes to the bargaining table. All too crazy, even for this story. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but this seems all very convenient.

Yup. This is being orchestrated by the NHL to pressure Glendale, and put the black hat on them if a lease can't be worked out with the new mayor and council. Machiavellian. Meanwhile, ownership hopefuls might think that Glendale is most vulnerable now, and if not, then they might be aspiring to buy the franchise and take it elsewhere. I doubt that the NHL will entertain that notion, as I noted above.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
More Kabuki Theatre...

Apparently
, Mayor Weiers has known about these 'potential' owners in 'private' when these are suppose to be 'public' discussions...

"Weiers told his colleagues he understands that a couple of “very strong†investors could purchase the team and seek a new deal for the arena “extremely soon.†He did not identify the potential new buyers, nor did he define “extremely soon.†And none of the others asked him to elaborate about either."

Be seeing you! ;)

Of course all of the above is your own personal speculation on what will or will not happen.... with a little innuendo seasoning to make it plausible....... correct??? ;)

The AMF (if one is ever negotiated) has to be made public and open to public input before the council can even act on it (Goldwater v Glendale).

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
We have a bidding war everything is fine, there will be a long term deal! 2 weeks!

Attachments

• 07-minister.jpg
    07-minister.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 4

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yup. This is being orchestrated by the NHL to pressure Glendale, and put the black hat on them if a lease can't be worked out with the new mayor and council. Machiavellian. Meanwhile, ownership hopefuls might think that Glendale is most vulnerable now, and if not, then they might be aspiring to buy the franchise and take it elsewhere. I doubt that the NHL will entertain that notion, as I noted above.

Am completely in agreement with you, Whileee.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
1) 50/50 they move this spring summer, if so, would just have to be Quebec City I should think...

2) Purportedly 3, 4 maybe even 5 groups circling. I believe the NHL would like to sell locally, prefer it, however they are acting more like a buyer than a seller, frankly like someones worst client from Hell but what else is new?. This is the NHL.

"Do you think the Bettman would have let you keep it? Can’t you understand what’s happening here? Don’t you see what’s happening? Bettman isn’t selling. Bettman’s buying! And why? Because we’re panicking and he’s not. That’s why. He’s picking up some bargains. Now, we can get through this thing all right. We’ve got to stick together, though. We’ve got to have faith in each other."

* Credit to George Bailey, from "It's a Wonderful Life"

Be seeing you! ;)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Actually five - the possibility that Reinsdorf could still be in the running was raised:

"While John Kaites also announced his participation in the Coyotes sweepstakes some time ago, he hasn’t been heard from lately. That does NOT mean Reinsdorf (through Kaites) is actually out of the running."

I wonder if IEH is simultaneously involved in the Hulsizer, Jamison, AND Gosbee bids? Or maybe they'll get involved in the Pastor bid too?

Great, everyone that was ever in the running are all back in.:handclap: I smell a bidding war.:naughty:

Shocking that with no AMF on the table there are so many suitors. :amazed:

I am surprised that Boomer Esiason doesn't have an investment team at the ready.:sarcasm:

edit: where is JR#97 wasn't he interested in buying the coyotes? Perhaps he could get together with Anson Carter.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Killion, I think that the only way that they stay for next season is with a lease with an out-clause within a few years. I just can't see how the COG can afford the sort of subsidization that would be required for a long-term locked-in lease. They just don't have the finances or political will to do that.

I think that the prospect of an "out clause" might have piqued the interest of a few additional ownership hopefuls, and might have even roused Reinsdorf from his slumber.

It would be ironic if the COG and one of these new ownership hopefuls proposed a lease with an out clause for relocation, with the NHL resisting because they want a "long term solution" for Glendale.

If an owner does purchase and keep the Coyotes in Glendale on a lease with an out clause based on financial performance, there is going to be carnage on these Boards in the coming years. Can you imagine the discussions about attendance and ticket prices, etc.? I'm not sure how many posters would survive. It'd be like a fish in a barrel for the Mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad