Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
Initial plan was to keep it for the 2022 Olympics bid. Not sure what's happening on that front, I think the city (mayor Labeaume) would rather go for 2026. Lots of speculation, but odds are it will be demolished.

Labeaume already stated he would sell it for $1 to anyone interested.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
(...) Quebecor will get a subsidy that will be roughly half of what Glendale would have paid. The overwhelming majority of that smaller subsidy will be supported by the province (i.e. 8 million people), with a much smaller part supported by Quebec City residents only (i.e. 769 639 people (2012)* ;)). Compare that with Glendale's 230k population... per capita subsidy calculations are left to the reader.

*: http://www.quebecinternational.ca/economic-statistics/overview/

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Then it will be replaced by an alternate, but more violent, sport. While everyone has been expressing outrage at NFL concussions, UFC has exploded in popularity.

Humans like blood sport - always have and always will.

UFC or boxing, where promoters come and go and the athletes compete as individuals, might not be quashed by the wave of lawsuits that are coming against head injuries in sports, because if they stop one promoter or fighter, another can pop up elsewhere. And the megabucks NFL might be able to survive it, too. But I'm not as sure how well the NHL, with so many teams on the bubble economically, will withstand all the litigation that's to come. Check Boston University's studies on football head injuries that the NFL helps sponsor. Scary stuff. You can bet the lawyers are lining up already. You don't have to change hockey a lot to get rid of the worst of the injuries. In the end, they won't have any choice.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Take note city of Glendale council. It is why nobody is going to opt to buy Jobing.com in the future. Just too expensive to demolish. Something I told a spec many years ago. He offered me 50 grand less than the house next door. I said he should pay me more.

He said thehouse nextdoor was a solid brick twostorey, mine was a wooden frame with no basement. I replied you're going to tear them both down anyway, it'll cost you10 grand more to teardown the brick place. Since both lot sizes were identical, which place was worth more?

Long story short, I got the same price the neighbour's got.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Initial plan was to keep it for the 2022 Olympics bid. Not sure what's happening on that front, I think the city (mayor Labeaume) would rather go for 2026. Lots of speculation, but odds are it will be demolished.

I read Toronto is planning to make a run at the 2024 summer Olympic Games so the Canadian Olympic Committee would probably make QC hold off until 2026.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
Lévis is not going to pay for the arena. At most the new arena will be an 'agglomeration equipment', which means L'Ancienne-Lorette and St-Augustin will have to pay for it as well, which would bring the total to ~550k.

Doh! You're right on this one!:confused:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Genuine question: if the major professional sports leagues seem only able to survive in parasitic relationships with their host cities, does that mean the model of pro sports in North America is utterly broken?

Well in the major markets (NY, Chicago, LA, Boston, etc) the sports facilities have been constructed with little to no public subsidies. Middle to small markets need to ante up in order to lure the leagues to locate there. Its similar to how New York doesn't have to give companies subsidies and tax breaks to locate their headquarter there, but you see mid-sized cities do it all the time. Jamie Dimon was giving a speech at some chamber of commerce in Miami and complained about how NYC has the highest taxes in the country. Do you think he is moving JP Morgan's headquarters anytime soon?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I read Toronto is planning to make a run at the 2024 summer Olympic Games so the Canadian Olympic Committee would probably make QC hold off until 2026.

Stupid if they do. Always seems to be a money loser for the host city. I like sports but would rather see the city blow the 10's ifnot 100's of millions on more ambulances and emergency rooms.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Anyway, I see AEG still lists Jobing as one of it's venues. I'm guessing the league is paying for it and so they are not only running the place for free but actually picking up some costs as well. My how times have changed with this new city council

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Stupid if they do. Always seems to be a money loser for the host city. I like sports but would rather see the city blow the 10's ifnot 100's of millions on more ambulances and emergency rooms.

Well I wasn't passing judgement just passing on the info.

I think its a different ball game now then when they were bidding for 2008. Toronto is so developed now that I don't see what an Olympics would do for the place. I remember a few years ago when South Africa was bidding, and for them it would have made sense because it would have helped defray the costs of a lot of development they needed to do and it would have boosted the country's profile since it was only a few years removed from Apartheid. Toronto doesn't really need an Olympics to spur development and it already has an international profile. The other thing is Toronto's 08 bid had plans for all the venues to be located within 1 and a half miles of each other along the Lakefront. That land isn't really available now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Anyway, I see AEG still lists Jobing as one of it's venues. I'm guessing the league is paying for it and so they are not only running the place for free but actually picking up some costs as well. My how times have changed with this new city council

Not sure what you're trying to imply here....

The NHL has pretty much been picking up the tab since long before the new council took office. The second $25M Glendale pledged for last year ($20M of it sitting in escrow) still goes uncollected. So just how does the new city council play into that??????

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ya, AEG still lists the building along with 40 others worldwide, not to mention Clubs & Theatres, Festivals & Conventions Centres etc Worldwide. Poor jobing.com seems to have been overlooked & under booked as ever though, grand total of 3 concerts (Bon Jovi, Taylor Swift in for 2 nights, BoyzIIMen & Guests) between now & July. Booked separately and Im assuming through the City of Glendale itself in conjunction with the Coyotes, DeVry & others, this Saturday an event called Science of Hockey; an upcoming Cheerleading Championships, admission to both free, and thats it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ya, AEG still lists the building along with 40 others worldwide, not to mention Clubs & Theatres, Festivals & Conventions Centres etc Worldwide. Poor jobing.com seems to have been overlooked & under booked as ever though, grand total of 3 concerts (Bon Jovi, Taylor Swift in for 2 nights, BoyzIIMen & Guests) between now & July. Booked separately and Im assuming through the City of Glendale itself in conjunction with the Coyotes, DeVry & others, this Saturday an event called Science of Hockey; an upcoming Cheerleading Championships, admission to both free, and thats it.

Now we're on to something. Since the Jobing.com arena and the Coyotes are there to preserve Westgate, regardless of cost, perhaps the COG could add a "concert fund" to go along with the AMF. This would be to subsidize concerts and other events to attract them to the Jobing.com, while keeping entry ticket prices very low or free to attract patrons. The traffic of patrons to the "free concerts" would bring business to Westgate, thereby preserving the businesses there.

Here's another suggestion. The COG could subsidize the movie theatre at Westgate so that it could give away movie tickets for free, or sell them for $1. This would bring many more movie-goers to Westgate, thereby preserving the development.

I think I'm actually starting to understand "Clarkonomics". :sarcasm:

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us

2017 World Junion Championships. At first they talked about 2015, but at that time only 1 arena (the Colisee) would be available in Quebec City, while in 2017 there would be 2, meaning that they could hold the entire championship in Quebec City rather than split it with Montreal or Halifax.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not sure what you're trying to imply here....

The NHL has pretty much been picking up the tab since long before the new council took office. The second $25M Glendale pledged for last year ($20M of it sitting in escrow) still goes uncollected. So just how does the new city council play into that??????

The league can withdraw the money anytime, nothing the city can do about it, as they eventually learned...
We'll never know what kind of extension the old council would have negotiated but I'm going to guess it would be more than free plus the league picking up the actual costs.

When the city found they were 5 million short did Gary say oh forget about it?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The league can withdraw the money anytime, nothing the city can do about it, as they eventually learned...
We'll never know what kind of extension the old council would have negotiated but I'm going to guess it would be more than free plus the league picking up the actual costs.

When the city found they were 5 million short did Gary say oh forget about it?

The agreement said the city was to put the remaining $5 million into the escrow account by July 31 2012. I don't believe they ever did, and obviously the league doesn't comment much on the coyotes so we don't know what the status is there. The former mayor scruggs and fomer councilwoman clarke had both previously talked of trying to work out a payment scheme with the league to pay the $25 million over a number of years. Again there has been no reports on if the league was sympathetic to this idea or not.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Boy, its already time for a title..

LXXIII: Gary Beltmann's bet

Reference to the Coyotes player of the game belt ;-)

or LXXIII: Caveat emptor (Buyers beware)

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Boy, its already time for a title..

LXXIII: Gary Beltmann's bet

Reference to the Coyotes player of the game belt ;-)

or LXXIII: Caveat emptor (Buyers beware)

Aww I'm gonna mess "send in the clowns". No title has been better at capturing this whole mess.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This might be a sign that something is coming soon...

Why, how do you figure? That he's making time to be heading up the Diques as CEO & President, clearing the decks so to speak? Says' he wants to spend more time engaged in philanthropic activities, with his wife Julie Snyder... who counts among her friends & "advisors" Celine Dion & Rene Angelil. Who needs Pierre around all the time when ya got friends like dat? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad