Phoenix LXVIII - "Watch out for that Tree"

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
LXIX:Two minutes to midnight.

I also love the poll idea. :handclap:

I do not think the poll idea is that great. It is just another way to bug the Yotes fans that are here. I do not need a formal poll to know how the result from this thread. The yotes fans that do post here are correct, this thread is fairly skewed towards the team not staying; therefore, it does not need to be formalized with a poll.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, I can't imagine the BoH mods being in favour of a poll which would be essentially trolling a fanbase.

Interesting, though, that with 6 days until the deadline, we're still in never-never land.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm still a bit surprised with the spasm of interest over the "countdown". If there has been any lesson in the Coyotes' saga, it is that there is no such thing as a deadline. I, for one, would be surprised if there is an ending of any kind by January 31.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, like we people here need a poll to troll Coyotes fans. As if the 300m$ subsidy, the numerous deadlines, the weeks not months, the low attendance, the dirt cheap tickets prices were not enough...

I personally think that GJ/GB/BoG/CoG will pull another rabbit from their hat and that the sale will go through, just in the nick of time, probably on jan 31st. So I'd vote yes, GJ will succeed even though I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he doesn't. I see the poll as a way to gauge how the forum think this will go.

I think people could vote either way no matter if they think the team should stay or not. But you may be right, this could turn into a circus. I don't know. Just thought it was a good idea. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I'm still a bit surprised with the spasm of interest over the "countdown". If there has been any lesson in the Coyotes' saga, it is that there is no such thing as a deadline. I, for one, would be surprised if there is an ending of any kind by January 31.

Unless Jamison closes the deal by Jan 31, nothing will be over. However, if will almost certainly be effectively over. The new city board was put in place, at least partially, due to their stance that the deal currently out there is bad for the city. So you have to figure that any new deal with Jamison will be better for the city. Whether a new proposed deal is for $150 million or $200 million or $75 million, doesn't really matter. The question would then become, if Jamison couldn't close the deal when it was much better for him, why would anyone think he could close a deal that is worse for him?

So the by far the most likely option is that the season goes along and the NHL plays out the string. No one will say much either way until after the season.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I agree the Jan 31 deadline may not be end of this saga and something else half-baked will come up to keep the story going on and on.

But countdowns are still fun so if even if it's not final, final it should spawn the next quirk to keep this going on.

So countdown away! Think of it like Christmas and as per the thread title...we already have a tree:xtree:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
This isn't over on 1/31 no matter what happens. If Jamison closes you have the Goldwater suit to contend with. If he doesn"t there are a bunch of possibilities. 1) he keeps trying and we witness that charade 2) NHL s through the motions of looking for another local buyer 3) Reinsdorf takes one last look at it 4) we go for an immediate out of town sale

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Sometime in February Jamison will say he has the money but just needs a little more time to get it in order. If the city refuses to extend the deadline the NHL and GJ have a nice scapegoat for the team leaving. If they accept, more of the same song and dance for another few months.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Even if Jan 31 passes, we won't hear anything relevant from the NHL except for the "we are trying all options still" to avoid publicly known lame duck season. (Smarter fans in the know might see the writing on the wall though....)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This isn't over on 1/31 no matter what happens. If Jamison closes you have the Goldwater suit to contend with. If he doesn"t there are a bunch of possibilities. 1) he keeps trying and we witness that charade 2) NHL s through the motions of looking for another local buyer 3) Reinsdorf takes one last look at it 4) we go for an immediate out of town sale

My guess is that the only real deadline is related to possible relocation plans. If Jamison is not able to close for whatever reason, and the NHL decides to throw in the towel, then they will need to move on to a sale for relocation sometime late Spring - preferably after most home games have been completed.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
They have to have this done soon to start on the schedule for next season ... When was it known on the inside (Atlanta I'm asking about you) that there were rumors about it being the last season in Atlanta ? ... It was about this time of year correct ?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
They have to have this done soon to start on the schedule for next season ... When was it known on the inside (Atlanta I'm asking about you) that there were rumors about it being the last season in Atlanta ? ... It was about this time of year correct ?

That does not apply to Coyotes situation. On the inside, Coyotes should have left town 3-4-5 years ago, but weird stuff kept happening and the team is still there.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
That does not apply to Coyotes situation. On the inside, Coyotes should have left town 3-4-5 years ago, but weird stuff kept happening and the team is still there.

Weird stuff primarily Glendale continuing to send and pledge $$$ away. Once the taps are turned off as they may be. There may be some movement....in theory only of course

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Fridays have long been considered the best day to release negative news. I don't really think that JIG will issue a pull out press release at this point, but late afternoon today likely presents that opportunity - should JIG feel they will not be capable of satisfying the Outside Closing Date in their contract.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fridays have long been considered the best day to release negative news. I don't really think that JIG will issue a pull out press release at this point, but late afternoon today likely presents that opportunity - should JIG feel they will not be capable of satisfying the Outside Closing Date in their contract.

I think it's more likely that if Jamison is short on investors he will indicate that he is still diligently trying, expects that he could succeed eventually, but that he might not be able to complete the sales process by the deadline. He'll leave that lying there, and see how the COG wants to respond. It seems to me that from a PR point of view, it is better for Jamison and the NHL to indicate that they would like to continue to try, and have the COG close the door by refusing to renew the current deal past its expiry date.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Speaking of which, Friday, February 1st, in late afternoon...

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I'll admit my bias upfront and state that I'd prefer that the Coyotes were relocated to QC, preferably tomorrow if at all possible. My suspicion however is that the NHL don't want to walk away from the COG subsidy if at all possible and will probably facilitate the financing of JEG's bid as a last resort - at arms length or otherwise, whatever it takes. If the league is eventually able to pull off having a civic government essentially underwriting a portion of club operations under the guise of "arena management", to such an overt extent, then that sets a great precedent from their perspective with regard to dealing with other civic governments going forward.

Ex the obvious risk of owning that club in that market, the COG subsidy represents free money regardless, period. Free money is appealing to many of us.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Publicly, more than just a few Thrashers' fans suspected the jig was up as early as 2009/10 (some a lot earlier) when it became apparent that ASG was proving impossible to work with in terms of facilitating a local sale, pretty clear they simply wanted the team gone. There was no "long goodbye", ASG maintaining the charade that they hoped to sell locally right through the 2010/11 season. Some first class digging & reporting by the Atlanta Journal Constitution throughout 2010/11 (and earlier) however did expose ASG's duplicity so though suspected what was to come, never publicly confirmed by ASG, the NHL, the season over for the Thrashers by the time any of it really hit the fan (literally & figuratively).

Privately, we dont know exactly when Chipman of TNSE engaged in informal discussions with Atlanta, but I suspect it was a lot earlier than anyone ever knew. A few Winnipeg posters here have a lot more knowledge on that back story than I & can fill in the blanks, but yes, even with the infrastructure administratively with the AHL Moose, TNSE was pushed to the max in getting up to speed & game ready over the summer after the sale was formally announced on May 31st, 2011. They had commenced upgrade of the MTS Centre over a year before theyd actually acquired a team, the building more than ready, but the other "stuff", getting hockey personnel in place & ready for the draft, player contracts, suite sales & sponsorships, broadcasting, merchandising etc etc etc, pretty much 24-7 from June through October.

Theres absolutely no way such an undertaking could be accomplished in Seattle if the NHL just leaves this thing hanging in limbo until the end of May or into June. Upgrades & updates to Key Arena would have to start like yesterday, and theres just no way you could possibly keep it secret. Absolute insanity to even think about it really. Brand new market, huge purchase price, retro-fit & reno fee's & so on & so forth. Youd likely lose more playing out of Key than you would Glendale. There are also a number of other obstacles, not the least of which being whether or not Hansen is actually involved in the franchises ownership etc etc etc... now Quebec, well, they completed upgrades & updates to the Colisee', have a more than willing ownership group, but to put them in the position of a full-on race to get ready for October 2013 in May or June? Could be done, but still, seems to me the NHL should at the very least telegraph their intentions in February should Jamison fail to close and put an end to the misery for one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad