Phoenix LXIII: I Have Become Comfortably Numb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman66

Oct 14, 2012
.... thats seriously problematical though. The NHL's on the hook for a huge chunk of change here, according to some, north of $200M despite the figure of $170M being bandied about. Theres no way the BOG's, 17-18 teams purportedly in dire straights as it is are going to want to cough up millions each to pay off the line of credit the NHL used to buy & fund the franchises' operations over the past 3 seasons. Gary Bettman is on the record as stating it wouldnt cost them anything so how is it even reconcilable that they pull a 180 and just eat it? Wont happen.

The Coyotes are either sold locally or they'll be sold for relocation and obviously the only destination available at this moment in time with an NHL ready arena (and a new one on the way) and willing buyer is in Quebec, a franchise in that market actually worth the price being asked. For Seattle to take this on at this time with at least 3yrs playing out of a refurbished KeyArena or TacomaDome would be a financial money pit. They'd be grossly over-paying for the franchise in a new market with at minimum losses of $20M+ for the first 3yrs of their existence in temporary housing.

There may not be a buyer (if Quebec declined Gary's asking price). With Seattle's announcement of new arena in 3 years, that could change the whole scenario.
Who knows what the asking price might be for a new franchise in 3 years? $250mil? $300mil?

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Exactly. I've stopped coming here in search of the latest news (figured I'd give it one last try, shame on me), because all the threads contain is posters looking for their little moment in the sun for suggesting the next thread title.

In most situations, such as this, it is most often the complaint that exceeds the pain of the actual point of contention.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Does Seattle even got an owner? If they don't have an owner right now Seattle is not that ready yet.

I would think Chris Hansen would be the owner, or at least part owner in order for it to work.

In the situations where the NBA and NHL share an arena (Boston, New York, Philly, Chicago, Washington, Denver, Dallas, and LA) not one has the NHL team as merely a tenant. Either the two teams have common ownership (Washinton, New York, Denver) or the teams are joint owners of the arena (Chicago and Dallas) or the NHL team owns the arena (LA, Boston, Philly) and the NBA team is the tenant.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I don't know if you watch, but very good one tonight

http://www.glendaleaz.com/video/

They have been said that with no Coyotes, there would be no cuts...

yup, cats outta the bag.:amazed:

sonu munshi‏@smunshi

Scruggs: I say we need to know what it will cost to run the arena. If we don't have Coyotes and Jamison deal, then there would be $0 cuts if sales tax is retained and management agreement with Jamison is nixed.

sonu munshi‏@smunshi

Skeete: That's a scenario for next five years. We would have to cut over the next 5 years to wean ourselves off the $25 million after that

Clarkonomics.:)

sonu munshi‏@smunshi

Clark: $320 million is to be paid over 20 years, not next year. If you get a mgmt company at $10 million annually, it's still $200 million

or $120 million cheaper at a grossly inflated $10 million.:laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There may not be a buyer (if Quebec declined Gary's asking price). With Seattle's announcement of new arena in 3 years, that could change the whole scenario. Who knows what the asking price might be for a new franchise in 3 years? $250mil? $300mil?

... I have my doubts that PKP objected to an asking price per se', I dont know that it even got that far. No one but he & Bettman would know that for sure. There could be any number of reasons why either Peladeau declined at this moment in time or that the league never seriously engaged in negotiating a sale of the team to QC in the first place. All speculation, Off Topic. A designated Quebec thread for such conversation.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
I don't get it. What does it mean? Are they approving the lease or not.

Mayor Scruggs is fighting Joyce Clark...

For the deal, they have been told before that without Coyotes it would not be necessary to cut in the jobs... mean firefighters, police officers, etc. etc.

Puckschmuck*

^^^^

I'm thinking someone better get ready to call 911.... Clark sounds like she's about to pop a gasket.

Did I miss the good part? All I'm seeing is this boring Skeete guy yak away blah blah blah.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... this is hilarious guys. Good job. Like watching the chatter on a Team
Page while a games goin on. Who needs hockey? Far more entertaining. :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Scruggs is saying that there is no way anyone ( the people ) wants to get rid of special events. Costs ~$1,000,000 per year. Says thats 11 years of special events are equal to one year of Jamison. IHO they will have to find that money somehow.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
... I have my doubts that PKP objected to an asking price per se', I dont know that it even got that far. No one but he & Bettman would know that for sure. There could be any number of reasons why either Peladeau declined at this moment in time or that the league never seriously engaged in negotiating a sale of the team to QC in the first place. All speculation, Off Topic. A designated Quebec thread for such conversation.

Just an hint, Killion! Check the relation of GB and the owner of Power Corporation du Canada, (Paul Desmarais) (La Presse) Enemies of PKP group. Don't forget that PKP was ready to buy "Canadiens de Montréal" few years ago and Desmarais got them! So GB, as a friend of Desmarais must do anything to fight a deal with PKP...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Just an hint, Killion! Check the relation of GB and the owner of Power Corporation du Canada, (Paul Desmarais) (La Presse) Enemies of PKP group. Don't forget that PKP was ready to buy "Canadiens de Montréal" few years ago and Desmarais got them! So GB, as a friend of Desmarais must do anything to fight a deal with PKP...

... ya, theres that, PowerCorp & Molsons; there was the election; on-going investigations into corruption in the construction industry & unions which is a touchy area for PKP & Quebecor; couple of other things too. :squint:

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
... ya, theres that, PowerCorp & Molsons; there was the election; on-going investigations into corruption in the construction industry & unions which is a touchy area for PKP & Quebecor; couple of other things too. :squint:

Yes, I know, like anybody approching Desmarais being accused of corruption... Just remember Sagard http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagard where political people beeing there where consider like beeing members of that corruption... Last elections ;-)

Funny, how political things might be different from a country to another!

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
But is it so different? I'm wondering...
Tonight, Mayor Scruggs put her fist on the table and asked real questions and JC almost felt crying... Will the truth come out? Tomorrow, same time, same chanel ;-) Keep on rocking!

Finally, I'm wondering at what point it is a business matter or a political matter? It looks like it is a business matter but all strings are pulled in behind with political persons... Who have different interests in this...

As I often said before, I hope Glendale fans will keep their team, but where is the logical in all this? Yes I know, no logical matter there :cry:

Last edited:

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
Im fond of Sagard calmdown. Have friends there. And thats all Im sayin bout dat.

Sorry, I only said WERE accused. I never said they were parts of that accusation. I realy don't matter who can go there and surely would like to be invited, but forget about it, I'm not that important :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Sorry, I only said WERE accused. I never said they were parts of that accusation. I realy don't matter who can go there and surely would like to be invited, but forget about it, I'm not that important :)

.... no worries, I know exactly what you meant. :thumbu:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
The part that doesn't compute for me is how any investor could trust Glendale to perform on the subsidy. Lieberman already introduced the idea of a strategic default on the baseball bonds. IOUs from Glendale are not for the risk averse.

Indeed. And if cog does default the Jig will not be negotiating a sale or lease in a new market from a position of strength. Not for the risk averse, but they do have Ice Dredge on board so who knows?

Edit: the amusing thing about the whole situation is that despite consistently wandering through the wilderness or outright falling asleep, Cactus Phil still manages to have the best handle on the situation among all CoG councilors. Fascinating.

:sarcasm:

1) The NHL will sell GJ the Coyotes for ~$75M to $100M.

2) The NHL will announce a sale price of $175M.

3) The GWI will huff and puff but do nothing.

4) The NHL will continue to say that they have NO plans for expansion.

5) The NHL will enter a negotiation with the NHLPA and insist on a 50-50 revenue sharing.

6) The NHLPA will say “HELL NO!!!!!”.

7) The NHL will then say “I’ll tell you what. You give us 50% (a reduction of 7%) and we will expand by 2 teams (a jobs increase of 7%)”.

8) The NHLPA will agree.

9) There will be a higher ceiling and lower floor – making the Coyote more inexpensive to run. The players will also get to play in Sochi in 2014.

10) The NHL will expand to QC in around 2014. The BoG will put a cool $200M in their pocket that they don’t have to share with the players.

11) The NHL will also expand to either Seattle (for $150 - $200M) or Toronto(2 for $300M). Again, the players will see none of it.

12) Gary Bettman will look like a hero which will makes us all feel a little sicker at night.

:sarcasm:

#7 can never come true because the math is still off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad