Phoenix LVIII; Will jobbing get jobbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
... thought crossed my mind. Running out of people to blame, excuses with their "third party interference" mantra & talking points.

It did cross my mind as well....How funny this is going to be if Bettman has to come out and say that nobody is buying the team...I would hate to be a coyotes fan. I feel for them for sure.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If you say so.

Here's my analysis from two weeks ago: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=52505193&postcount=84

And here's the ruling: http://www.azcentral.com/ic/community/pdf/glendale-sales-tax-initiative-ruling.pdf

The judge held for plaintiff on (1) and (3). I would continue to assert that (2) is not expressly fatal. However, either the case was not briefed properly or the judge disagreed.

We'll see if they appeal. Otherwise, one step closer to a potential gift clause challenge (assuming that JIG can close and Goldwater would file. Those are kind of big "ifs" but it could still happen.)

1 and 3 were technical, 2 was materiel, which is why I thought from the beginning, the challenge would fail. The judge disagreed for sure, agree there.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
As I expected. You can't do through the backdoor what the statute prohibits on its face. The initiative was misleading in that it can't retroactively roll back a tax that has been passed. It was DOA from the start. They may appeal.

As CF noted, the battle is whether Jamison can close, and if so, whether the lease violates the Gift Clause should the GWI decide to sue.

*For the record, I continue to believe Jamison will not be able to close until the waters are totally clear regarding the lease, and I don't see that happening in time for Jamison to take over the team. I still believe relocation is the most likely option.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
My favorite practice, appeals and I love them...dealing with a hot bench. If only they can find conflicting trial court decisions and cases to support them.

No time to research, but can they appeal as of right on this decision?

Or do they need to obtain leave to appeal in some form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad