Phoenix L; AllByDesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
From Gary Bettman press conference, a couple of minutes ago, about Greg Jamison(precise words of Bettman):"He continues to put his equity together". It's May 30th, 2012. Are we in a Monty Python movie? That whole thing is not serious.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
The reason I ask this was because in the letter that the Arizona Cardinals sent the City of Glendale, they make reference to the 6000 shared Coyotes parking spaces, and more importantly, they accuse the City of Glendale of taking the $25 million, that they were going to use last year for the building of the parking garage, and giving half to Ellman and the other half of sliding into their general fund.

And what was used to pay the AMF to the NHL? the general fund.

There's the connection I was reffering to. I think the AZ Cardinals know full well where their money was going and they're not happy about it.

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/cardinals-letter-glendale.pdf

I think the Coyotes are irrelevant to the Cards issue with the parking. The "shared Coyotes parking spaces" are called that, but beyond the name, the Coyotes have no claim to those spaces on Cardinals game days. I probably misunderstand your point and I apologize for that - my point is that - say if the Coyotes left for Quebec tomorrow for good - it does nothing to mollify the Cards issues - it has nothing to do with it; it's unrelated to the hockey team, despite the name attached in the agreements to the parking spaces.

Sure, many folks in Quebec might stop caring about the Cards issues with Glendale if Gary announced tonight the Yotes were moving to Quebec, but the issues here for the Cards would not just go away because the NHL team did.

With a superficial read through of that letter, I think the Cards have merit in their arguments with the city, especially in regards to long term issues. And whether the NHL team stays or goes away, those issues will remain. I think long term they are solvable, but of course that's no guarantee they will be, nor a suggestion that I have the 'answers'.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
From Gary Bettman press conference, a couple of minutes ago, about Greg Jamison(precise words of Bettman):"He continues to put his equity together". It's May 30th, 2012. Are we in a Monty Python movie? That whole thing is not serious.

It conjures an image in my mind of a younger person stacking legos into a pyramid of imaginary millions, and the parent looking on "Oh look, little Greg is putting his equity together, I think he might be halfway there. Greg? Honey? Would you like to take a break? Mom will make you a PB&J sandwich and nice glass of milk, and then you can go back to putting your equity together."

As if there was no deadline, no pressure on Greg to finish stacking those legos today...

hmmm...

who's timetable is the NHL on anyway?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

or "he continues to scour the planet earth for suckers" or "he doesn't have the money but he has only been searching for 10 months" or "does anyone remember Hulsizer's fax #" or " who has IEH's twitter" or forget it this guy doesn't appear to have the financing this late in the game. :shakehead

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
or "he continues to scour the planet earth for suckers" or "he doesn't have the money but he has only been searching for 10 months" or "does anyone remember Hulsizer's fax #" or " who has IEH's twitter" or forget it this guy doesn't appear to have the financing this late in the game. :shakehead

As far as the NHL is concerned it'll never be too late, as long as the city keeps sending cash.:)

Obvious to me now. The league didn't ask for and get 10 one year lease deals because they wanted to end the deal in year 3.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Makes you wonder how far away he is. This thing will never end. :(

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Nobody can say the contrary.

As to Gary Bettman, the PHX bid is still looking for cash, while the Qc bid has its cash in the Brinks truck, somewhere between MTL and NYC.:yo::yo:

........... that is if I believe Gary Bettman.

Its very confusing by times !!!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Nobody can say the contrary.

As to Gary Bettman, the PHX bid is still looking for cash, while the Qc bid has its cash in the Brinks truck, somewhere between MTL and NYC.:yo::yo:

........... that is if I believe Gary Bettman.

Its very confusing by times !!!

Lol. Very true.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Bingo. It's all connected.

There may be investors who may have financing, but it's all contingent on the deal and potential cash flows. What you refer to as "the lease" is actually the amount of subsidy for the so-called "arena management fee".

If you are going to receive say $300 million over 20 years as a subsidy for your business guaranteed by a public body do you think that might make a difference in the number of investors you could attract? Of course it would -- whether the investors are using their own money or doing some debt financing (in which case financial institutions would be very interest to see the projected numbers with and without the "arena management fee.") Of course, if the amount of the "arena management fee" was subject to substantial "legal risk" -- i.e., could be challenged -- that could change the entire picture.

can I quote myself and then add this?

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika

Daly said Jamison doesn't need more equity, but he needs arena management deal done so he can secure equity he has lined up.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I swear, the past several topics, I keep thinking that this is gonna be the last one before a decision is finally made one way or other....

Nooooooope.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Soo after this press confernce, what do the experts at hfboards think of Quebec City's chances for a team.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Soo after this press confernce, what do the experts at hfboards think of Quebec City's chances for a team.

I'm no expert but I think the chances of Quebec having a team next season are slim to none. If worse comes to worse the league will own the team for one more lame duck season

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Some seems to think GJ does have his financing but need to come to an agreement with COG. COG already accepted a 17M AMF for next year.

If GJ does have 170M (which I don't believe), why is'nt there a sale? What are they waiting for? A snowfall in Glendale?

Did'nt Beasley stated for many weeks they were working on a lease and AMF contracts with Greggie?

Me think he wants way more then 17M plus a 5 years out clause which COG does not want, and I fully undestand them or Greg simply does not have the money period.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm no expert but I think the chances of Quebec having a team next season are slim to none. If worse comes to worse the league will own the team for one more lame duck season

I would agree with this. And the question is why? Legal obligation as the result of the bankruptcy? Maybe they don't feel comfortable with any of the potential owners in the other cities. Probably the former.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hey Legend, I agree here, it's true that if a someone really wanted to make a go of it in Glendale it would be hard but maybe not impossible to make it work.

For the bolded part, i think it's a misconception that Jamison turned the sharks franchise around, I believe they were already mildly succesful and Jamison just kept it going. The other thing is, when he left the franchise he was taking it in a direction the Sharks org were not comfortable with and he might have been outed from his post. I posted the article on that story here somewhere.

I do have a question, it's recently been reported that the AZ Cardinals are not happy with the parking arrangements made by Glendale and that they still have not respected the agreement. The lawsuit seems to be still alive. What do you think happens if a lawsuit for $67 million is underway? or do you not think those 2 issues, a sale of the Coyotes,an AMF and the lawsuit can be related?

The parking issue will get resolved. CoG has already arranged to rent property nearby and put up construction funds to convert the property for parking. hether that pleases the Cardinals remains to be seen, but they knew Westgate development would mean losing the spaces they had. The Cardinals (IMO) were trying to bully their way into having a couple of parking garages built for them on somebody else's dime other than their own. They were given a green light by Glendale last year to develop the area surrounding UoP stadium as they saw fit. Parking garages would be part of that.

Glendale's biggest pending problem is with Camelback Ranch (the spring training facility). The loan payments are coming due now, and the amenities that were supposed to be built around it (hotels, restaurants, etc) never broke ground because the contractor went under.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Some seems to think GJ does have his financing but need to come to an agreement with COG. COG already accepted a 17M AMF for next year....If GJ does have 170M (which I don't believe), why is'nt there a sale? What are they waiting for?.

...all they did was vote to "vote" Qc, set supposedly for the 5th or 12th. If it passes, Daly claims GJ will receive his $$$, sale takes place, perhaps GW or whoever raises a ruckus. Hard to say. Heres more;

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-7&id=179725&cmpid=embed-share-video

Maloney

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=179713&cmpid=embed-share-video

Bettman

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Soo after this press conference, what do the experts at hfboards think of Quebec City's chances for a team.

I am going to go with 60%. First the lease has to pass council, then Goldwater has to fail in getting an injunction, then Jameson has to make enough progress in lining up investors by about July 1st. I give all that a 40% chance of happening.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

So what equity is Bettman referring to? The $170M to buy the team or the $400M + his group is going to need to run the team over the next 10 years, or both.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
...all they did was vote to "vote" Qc, set supposedly for the 5th or 12th. If it passes, Daly claims GJ will receive his $$$, sale takes place, perhaps GW or whoever raises a ruckus. Hard to say.

Seems straight forward... Investors to Jamison..."Get us an AMF of ~$15M per year or we are out!"

Reiterates that nobody will touch the Coyotes without a subsidy.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Seems straight forward... Investors to Jamison..."Get us an AMF of ~$15M per year or we are out!"

Reiterates that nobody will touch the Coyotes without a subsidy.

Even at that, the AMF/susidy will be front loaded and also contain an outclause which could possibly be in only 3-5 years. Can't wait to see the lease that Beasley has been cooking up for the past 10 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad