Phoenix L; AllByDesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Reality is not: Well, Glendale can chip in $15M a year just to have a team, plus the team gets all the revenue from the arena.
No. What I am saying is: Face the reality. Can someone see a way to make it work? That's reality.

Well, that's Glendale's reality. Regardless of some posts that say all it takes is a new owner with some thinking outside the box to turn it around...Nobody is going to touch this team without a subsidy. That's reality. If the tire kickers looking at the Coyotes really thought they just have to run things properly to make this team financially viable, it would have been sold by now. Can it be turned around? Sure, but only to a point, and the problem is that "point" would mean the team will still be losing money. Hence the asking of a subsidy by all potential buyers to move it from money loser to possible breakeven.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
If I was a Coyotes fan I would be worry...Tonight may be the last game. Why would the NHL wait until there season is over to announce that the team is staying? The logical is that they would of announced it already... a move somewhere else is imminent at this point. This is the only thing that make sense...Unless Im wrong. Tonight is "Da" night!! :yo:

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Buddy of mine is currently in Phoenix on business. He picked up 3 tickets yesterday afternoon for tonight's game. Paid $60.00 a piece. Game wasn't sold out as of yesterday afternoon... assuming that will change by puck drop tonight.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
BrahmResnik ‏@brahmresnik
#Glendale council expected to review a draft lease & non-relo agreement w Jamison in closed session today. Formal vote day after Mem Day?

Well once they have the vote we will at least start going down the path...next up Goldwater!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think he needs to do a take-off on American Pie and we will be there for sure.

....the lyrics & theorems would easily fill an entire page of this thread Fourier. Highly complex. Like Dylans Subterranean Homesick Blues. Serious memory stick with alotta giga bytes required. Like taking on a Martha Stewart home crafts project. Wasted time you can never get back. Hundreds of dollars wasted on willow twigs, very expensive kindling.... :shakehead

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
BrahmResnik ‏@brahmresnik
#Glendale council expected to review a draft lease & non-relo agreement w Jamison in closed session today. Formal vote day after Mem Day?

Well once they have the vote we will at least start going down the path...next up Goldwater!

If Jamison is dumb enough to sign a lease with a non-relocation agreement, then let him buy the team and go bankrupt in a few years, so the NHL is still stuck with the team once again!

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
If Jamison is dumb enough to sign a lease with a non-relocation agreement, then let him buy the team and go bankrupt in a few years, so the NHL is still stuck with the team once again!

I'm getting to the point at which I believe nothing that I read, either pro-QC or pro-Phoenix. Logic would dictate that they are done in Phoenix, but logic doesn't always apply. So basically I am relaxed until we get the final word one way or the other (although deep down inside I still think they're going to La Vielle Capitale).

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Playoffs Lure Coyotes Buyer As Losses Force City Firings

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...yer-as-losses-force-city-to-fire-workers.html

Looks like Glendale well on way to being the financial laughing stock of all North American cities!

Quoting from that article the James guy says:

“The long-term question is the viability of a Phoenix ice- hockey team,†James said. “Can ice hockey work in Phoenix and generate a large enough revenue stream?â€

lmao. He calls HOCKEY "ice hockey".

Dammit Jim, I'm a hockey fan, not a doctor.

James is a laughing stock to me, for expressing an opinion about 'ice hockey'. Someone tell him we have this thing in Arizona called 'air-conditioning'. Maybe one of his Canadian friends can whisper him to call it 'hockey'.

Here's an idear - dig a deep hole and dump all those pinheads in it and then seal it with fast set concrete. And if you do it close enough to UoP stadium, we can let Cardinals fans park on top. Now I don't care who you are dat dere's funny. :sarcasm:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

James is a laughing stock to me, for expressing an opinion about 'ice hockey'. Someone tell him we have this thing in Arizona called 'air-conditioning'. Maybe one of his Canadian friends can whisper him to call it 'hockey'.

Here's an idear - dig a deep hole and dump all those pinheads in it and then seal it with fast set concrete. And if you do it close enough to UoP stadium, we can let Cardinals fans park on top. Now I don't care who you are dat dere's funny. :sarcasm:

And while you argue semantics, hockey has been losing money in the desert ever since it arrived.

I decided a little while ago not to be so negative about the Yotes so as not to antagonize you guys... but really, the James guy is absolutely right, even if you don't like his terminology.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012

Yes of course, what was he thinking? that all readers of Bloomberg news understand that there is an ice hockey team in the desert? no one could have mistaken it for Ohhh let's say, field hockey or roller hockey for example?

Stop with the character assasination. It just makes you look bad.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It has been discussed on here the fact that with the extra playoff games the Coyotes are playing, that losses for the season will be reduced. Given these are "bonus" revenue games being played, it makes sense to say this. But when you read something like this:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...obingcom-arena-ice-crews-work-to-maintain-ice

This NHL postseason, the Coyotes have advanced further than any other year. As a result, the team has been playing in Arizona later than usual. Jobing.com crews have kept air conditioning high and carefully scheduled deliveries to preserve the cold air. Meanwhile, the outside temperature Tuesday is expected to be 107 degrees. The last game they played Sunday, the outside heat measured a dry 105 degrees. Before each game, workers are adjusting settings for temperature, humidity and dew point. According to the NHL, an arena should be about 60 degrees with 40 percent humidity and a dew point at 35 degrees.

You have to wonder just how much the Coyotes are making after all the expenses are taken into account. With these temps and NHL requirements, it must be costing quite a bit to keep the building and ice in a playable condition as compared to the Coyotes take in from ticket sales.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
It has been discussed on here the fact that with the extra playoff games the Coyotes are playing, that losses for the season will be reduced. Given these are "bonus" revenue games being played, it makes sense to say this. But when you read something like this:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...obingcom-arena-ice-crews-work-to-maintain-ice

This NHL postseason, the Coyotes have advanced further than any other year. As a result, the team has been playing in Arizona later than usual. Jobing.com crews have kept air conditioning high and carefully scheduled deliveries to preserve the cold air. Meanwhile, the outside temperature Tuesday is expected to be 107 degrees. The last game they played Sunday, the outside heat measured a dry 105 degrees. Before each game, workers are adjusting settings for temperature, humidity and dew point. According to the NHL, an arena should be about 60 degrees with 40 percent humidity and a dew point at 35 degrees.

You have to wonder just how much the Coyotes are making after all the expenses are taken into account. With these temps and NHL requirements, it must be costing quite a bit to keep the building and ice in a playable condition as compared to the Coyotes take in from ticket sales.

I would hope they have taken the AZ historical climate data and invested a fair amount of money in such equipement upon building the arena itself. Maybe they are playing later than ever this season, but that's not a excuse to not have take into account a fact that they built an arena in a region known for higher temperatures that start in mid-february.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Yes of course, what was he thinking? that all readers of Bloomberg news understand that there is an ice hockey team in the desert? no one could have mistaken it for Ohhh let's say, field hockey or roller hockey for example?

Stop with the character assasination. It just makes you look bad.

This Bloomberg thing appears to be an American publication. *Ice* hockey is the standard in North America. Yes, field, roller, ball, floor, street, hands-and-knees etc. hockeys all exist, but when you say "hockey," the assumption is, by the vast majority of people in Canada and the US, that we're not talking about ****ing *roller* hockey.

It's like football. In Canada and the US, you say "football" and you mean the game where fat guys jump on each other and do a lot of standing around. If you say "football" in pretty much every other part of the world, it means "soccer."

People broadcasting NFL or CFL games, or people just commenting on the sport in the media, don't need to be specific about what *kind* of football it is, because "American" football is the standard. Most of us in Canada and the US don't refer to soccer as "football," so there's no need to further describe it. Football is football, and everyone understands it as such.

If you were reading the media in the UK, you would assume "football" to mean "soccer." They wouldn't have to explain it.

Hockey is hockey. Anyone who thinks they need to add "ice" to the name is either *very* unfamiliar with the game or is just a moron.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
This Bloomberg thing appears to be an American publication. *Ice* hockey is the standard in North America. Yes, field, roller, ball, floor, street, hands-and-knees etc. hockeys all exist, but when you say "hockey," the assumption is, by the vast majority of people in Canada and the US, that we're not talking about ****ing *roller* hockey.

It's like football. In Canada and the US, you say "football" and you mean the game where fat guys jump on each other and do a lot of standing around. If you say "football" in pretty much every other part of the world, it means "soccer."

People broadcasting NFL or CFL games, or people just commenting on the sport in the media, don't need to be specific about what *kind* of football it is, because "American" football is the standard. Most of us in Canada and the US don't refer to soccer as "football," so there's no need to further describe it. Football is football, and everyone understands it as such.

If you were reading the media in the UK, you would assume "football" to mean "soccer." They wouldn't have to explain it.

Hockey is hockey. Anyone who thinks they need to add "ice" to the name is either *very* unfamiliar with the game or is just a moron.

Bloomberg is International.

Get top headlines on international business news, world markets, global economy, finance and politics. Read breaking news stories & articles from around the world.

So forgive me but I'm going to have to disagree with your view point.

Morons don't usually get hired by Bloomberg.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
For what it's worth, the "ice hockey" quote was by an economics professor at Arizona State. It's still irrelevant... the question is whether what he's saying about the team's and the city's finances is accurate, and it sure looks that way.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
For what it's worth, the "ice hockey" quote was by an economics professor at Arizona State. It's still irrelevant... the question is whether what he's saying about the team's and the city's finances is accurate, and it sure looks that way.

Sensible and true.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Seriously? Who cares whether he said ice hockey or not

Its specific. It might be the nature of his job. Maybe he has to be exceptionally accurate with his words by habit. Maybe its his nature to add prefixes to words. Maybe he says Airplane instead of Plane.

Sensible and true.

x2

There's a sports team, that has serious money trouble in the desert. That's a little more relevant, than whether someone refers to said sport as "ice" hockey or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad