Phoenix CXXXII: The Upside Down Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pretty crazy uh?.... You havent missed much with your absence here Whileee.... franchise running deep & silent.... I;m sure youve been following... season from Hell in terms of performance, only recently stringing together a bunch of wins... tied the record with the 43/44 Rangers for most losses to start a season at 11.... obviously attendance suffering as a result, 10,000 or so avg so 4000 tickets as you point out representing a sizeable chunk of change going to non-active non-performing contracts if you wanna use that as measurement.

Obviously the hole just gets deeper & deeper... absolutely nothing on the new arena front.... nothing solid with respect to any infusions of cash from interested parties.... looks like their parked at GRA for at least another season if not longer.... Neverending Story.... A decade come this fall when Bettman claimed "nothing going on in Arizona, no problems with the franchise" while having to advance Moyes millions to keep things afloat.... Beyond fatigued. Incredible. What a way to run a league, team. Who does this? :dunno:
Yah, I pop in to catch up now and again, but it's pretty stagnant I suppose. A couple of horrendous seasons on the ice and ownership that can't put enough money together to support a good roster even if their GM managed to put one together. You gotta really admire the die-hard fans. Bettman and a long cast of characters have really done a disservice to the community and the fans. At least with nothing going on and nobody saying much, the prevarication quotient is way down. :laugh:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Re: Barroway going BK route.

Won’t happen. The league does not want to go that route again and have themselves completely exposed like it nearly did the last time.

Odds are very good the league has a defacto agreement with Barroway which will allow him to leave unscathed with zero losses if it becomes necessary to sell the franchise into another market.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Re: Barroway going BK route.

Won’t happen. The league does not want to go that route again and have themselves completely exposed like it nearly did the last time.

Odds are very good the league has a defacto agreement with Barroway which will allow him to leave unscathed with zero losses if it becomes necessary to sell the franchise into another market.

Oh ya, totally. No way in Hell we see another BK & absolutely, Barroways' covered. Leagues got his back.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Yah, I pop in to catch up now and again, but it's pretty stagnant I suppose. A couple of horrendous seasons on the ice and ownership that can't put enough money together to support a good roster even if their GM managed to put one together. You gotta really admire the die-hard fans. Bettman and a long cast of characters have really done a disservice to the community and the fans. At least with nothing going on and nobody saying much, the prevarication quotient is way down. :laugh:

That is all on Mr Patterson...

“When we get to the point of having something to say (about the arena search), we will say it.”
Arizona Republic, Jan 11, 2018, Despite poor record, Coyotes trending up in attendance, other figures

The silence is deafening...

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
no kidding.

"are we there yet?"

"no."

x1000

This is precisely what a team owned and operated by the league looks like. Poor AB being sent into the corridors to take a few pictures with some kids all for the purpose of window dressing. His name does not appear to be attached to anything anymore. No appearances with legislators or indications that he is courting additional investors. Both he and Patterson have basically disappeared from the public arena, preferring to sit silently hoping that nobody notices GB behind the curtain pulling the strings of his puppets. The charade continues and even GB seems to be finding it harder and harder to hide his dirty little secret that he has cooked up behind the scenes with Randy Andy. The Gm`s hands have effectively been tied, not allowing him to sign the hot net minder Raanta to a longer term deal, too much strain on the dysfunctional budget. Could well be the worst kept secret in major league sports, come on uncle Gary time to come out of the closet and tell us who the real owner is.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The silence is deafening...

As an example, and because it does involve a previous Arizona Coyotes owner, one has to look no further than Atlantic Canada. Here we have Anthony LeBlanc talking about building a football stadium and putting a new CFL team in it. And at this point all it has been, as reported by LeBlanc , is nothing more than talking about piles of dirt. Yet, there are rumors everyday about where the team is going to end up, specifics about the stadium, who might build it, and so on. Now every one of those rumors could be hogwash and they probably are.... BUT, the point is people other than LeBlanc are talking about it.

Any yet in Phoenix, where I would imagine it is like every other municipality, nobody, absolutely nobody, is even mentioning it. And if you don't even have rumors being floated around, then IMO it's because there is nothing to be talked about because nothing is happening, or worse... nobody cares. Having nobody giving a rats ass about this team is not what they need. Even false rumors would still let people know they team still exists.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is precisely what a team owned and operated by the league looks like. Poor AB being sent into the corridors to take a few pictures with some kids all for the purpose of window dressing. His name does not appear to be attached to anything anymore. No appearances with legislators or indications that he is courting additional investors. Both he and Patterson have basically disappeared from the public arena, preferring to sit silently hoping that nobody notices GB behind the curtain pulling the strings of his puppets. The charade continues and even GB seems to be finding it harder and harder to hide his dirty little secret that he has cooked up behind the scenes with Randy Andy. The Gm`s hands have effectively been tied, not allowing him to sign the hot net minder Raanta to a longer term deal, too much strain on the dysfunctional budget. Could well be the worst kept secret in major league sports, come on uncle Gary time to come out of the closet and tell us who the real owner is.

“Poor AB being sent into the corridors......”

:facepalm:

Um..... ever cross your mind he was there because he wanted to be?? No wait.... skip that. I know answering that would hurt your perpetual narrative and we can’t have that now.

Yeesh.....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... yet in Phoenix, where I would imagine it is like every other municipality, nobody, absolutely nobody, is even mentioning it. And if you don't even have rumors being floated around, then IMO it's because there is nothing to be talked about because nothing is happening, or worse... nobody cares.

Thats pretty much the (blank) sheet I'm working from. Nothing to talk about on that front because there isnt anything actually.... going on. Those who care, namely the faithful, the fans, they'd rather not know that. Cognitive dissonance. No News is Good News & Christ knows the media doesnt give a Flying Frigg... no ones asking Patterson, Barroway, Bettman for specifics, asking about finances, deadlines.... Extremely frustrating situation. Not good enough to have said what little they have in this day & age... that playing out of GRA is completely untenable... new arena site & search underway having failed to address the market fundamentals as to how Metro Phoenix can even support a 3rd major indoor arena.. nor to accept any responsibility for their own epic failure's..... how Andrew Barroway comes up with at minimum a couple of hundred million even if he could garner state or municipal backing which in & of itself given all thats gone down, current climate... a mission beyond impossible.... Obviously they can afford to, plan is they park it for at least another year so...

Reactions: Fairview

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
“Poor AB being sent into the corridors......”

:facepalm:

Um..... ever cross your mind he was there because he wanted to be?? No wait.... skip that. I know answering that would hurt your perpetual narrative and we can’t have that now.

Yeesh.....

I will stick with my opinion of him, nothing he has done has changed my mind that he is nothing more than a carpet bagger without a pot to piss in. Seriously Legend, what has this guy done to engender any kind of positive momentum for this organization? He steadfastly refuses to give anyone, including the lame media (who refuse to ask one probing question) what the future of this franchise is? He himself has said that they cannot remain at GRA, yet he has offered no alternatives to those fans and sponsors who have spent money in support of his organization. Instead, they get deafening silence and a penny pinching owner who is unwilling to spend anything more than the bare minimum to keep the team. Doesn`t he owe his customers some indication of his future plans for the organization? His only communication has been a veiled press release announcing the renewal of the 18-19 lease. Whoopee do! Good for Andy! His passive ownership shows little drive to succeed, just a drivel every now and then suggesting that they are trying. Really, sorry I can`t even believe that, I really do not believe they are doing anything to further their quest to find a new venue. I think it is all big empty show while they wait for Uncle Gary to find a town and owner that will be willing to overpay for this deteriorating asset. I can`t see how anyone could possibly defend this guy and his dream, he is nothing but an empty suit hoping nobody notices!

Reactions: Fairview

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I will stick with my opinion of him, nothing he has done has changed my mind that he is nothing more than a carpet bagger without a pot to piss in. Seriously Legend, what has this guy done to engender any kind of positive momentum for this organization? He steadfastly refuses to give anyone, including the lame media (who refuse to ask one probing question) what the future of this franchise is? He himself has said that they cannot remain at GRA, yet he has offered no alternatives to those fans and sponsors who have spent money in support of his organization. Instead, they get deafening silence and a penny pinching owner who is unwilling to spend anything more than the bare minimum to keep the team. Doesn`t he owe his customers some indication of his future plans for the organization? His only communication has been a veiled press release announcing the renewal of the 18-19 lease. Whoopee do! Good for Andy! His passive ownership shows little drive to succeed, just a drivel every now and then suggesting that they are trying. Really, sorry I can`t even believe that, I really do not believe they are doing anything to further their quest to find a new venue. I think it is all big empty show while they wait for Uncle Gary to find a town and owner that will be willing to overpay for this deteriorating asset. I can`t see how anyone could possibly defend this guy and his dream, he is nothing but an empty suit hoping nobody notices!

Oh I already know you’ll never change your mind about anything in regards to the Coyotes. The rants haven’t changed for the last nine years. In your mind they can’t do one single thing right and the odds of that ever changing are less than zero.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Barroway should do a season ticket drive for his new arena. Collect deposits from 25000 fans at $1000 each with 4-10 year ticket commitments and go to the bank and finance his dream arena. Seems brain dead simple really.

Reactions: cbcwpg and Fairview

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Barroway should do a season ticket drive for his new arena. Collect deposits from 25000 fans at $1000 each with 4-10 year ticket commitments and go to the bank and finance his dream arena. Seems brain dead simple really.
That's only $25,000,000, need ten times that at least.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Oh I already know you’ll never change your mind about anything in regards to the Coyotes. The rants haven’t changed for the last nine years. In your mind they can’t do one single thing right and the odds of that ever changing are less than zero.

Oh I can find good, 2011-12 was a good year and in the early years they had some on ice success. 8 playoff appearances in 20 years is not bad, unfortunately they only made it out of the quarters once. The last six years have been an an abysmal failure to anyone looking at this franchise with an objective mind. To say this is the worst run and one of the least successful franchises in the NHL would not have many arguments the other way, other than yours.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
This team isn't going anywhere. The same naysayers have been talking about the Coyotes leaving for the last 10 years. Here's my prediction: Coyotes will be playing in Scottsdale in 5 years time

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This team isn't going anywhere. The same naysayers have been talking about the Coyotes leaving for the last 10 years. Here's my prediction: Coyotes will be playing in Scottsdale in 5 years time
Who finances the arena construction for the Coyotes?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Who finances the arena construction for the Coyotes?

Well, the financing of it is only the tip of the iceberg. Whoever goes in with the Coyotes will also have to own the building and pay all the upkeep and, on top of that, pay the Coyotes a steep and (frankly) ludicrous "management fee" every year.

Why every city in the Valley isn't jumping all over that deal is beyond me... :sarcasm:

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Bookie, curious, you see ownership paying half of the cost of a new arena. Do you believe AB has the funds, or access to the funds that will allow him to retain full ownership? If yes, why is he delaying the interim steps of securing the pile of dirt on which they will build your anticipated new arena? The idea that a third party is ramping up to buy the team and build a privately funded arena has popped up, however I am highly skeptical that a new buyer is going to spend upwards of one billion to fund a franchise whose potential success is unknown. This franchise could have been bought lock stock and barrel 5 years ago for $170MM with as sweetheart lease at GRA. Today that number is many, many times that number with the teams total revenue not substantially elevated from what it was five years ago. Today the price is more a function of what GB and the BOG believe it is as opposed to what a financial buyer might deem the NPV to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad