Phoenix CXXXII: The Upside Down Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Let's just say the numbers being sloshed around here are purely from speculation and be done with it. ;)

That said.... I'll somewhat agree with your estimate on how long Barroway possibly could hold out (I'm looking closer to 2-3 years).

Yeah, all guesswork, theory, speculation..... Bottom line is that the NHL could if they so desired finance the club indefinitely. Collectively, multi-billion dollar business, franchise valuations & entry fee's forgetting Relo's for the moment ever increasing & by huge, insane amounts. However, clearly some are willing to pay that price and as such whatever the number is, $650M today; maybe $800M by 2021 or whatever... the Coyotes able to monetize that number through a LOC... well.... this could go on, they could have lots of life left yet in Glendale.

Granted, a shoe-string operation, no great shakes but it is something thats within the realms of possibilities. Given the lengths to which the Leagues gone, who can say with any certainty that thats not exactly what the future holds? The question remains though; why? What possible reason could they have for not having already cut their losses & bolted? Why hang on to a lost leader, no serious hope of a new building & even if they got one thats got disaster written all over it. On & on. I just dont know. At a loss to try & explain any of this. Perhaps a combination of a multi-billion dollar settlement pursuant to the concussion suit, revenue projections pursuant to the broadcast contracts falling well short... that these factors & more finally forces their hands. Bubble bursts. Smaller leaner league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad