Phoenix CXXIX: I buy you out, you don't buy me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Maybe I'm missing something and not to get OT, but why do these MLB teams need such elaborate and expensive spring training facilities? Can't a simple ball diamond do?

You're looking for an entire team's system worth of players that were invited (40-60) to live, eat, and play on the grounds during spring training. This includes dining facilities, weight training, offices, and with more amenities comes more admin facilities. There is also extended spring training and other leagues (Coastal league, Single A) that take place in these facilities. While they are facilities perceptually seen as spring training facility, they can be all around development camps for prospects all year round. Just easier to have those amenities/facilities/ballparks all centrally located.

Also, for the times that I went to spring training the Minnesota Twins stadium was sold out. That's ~9,300 people. That's a lot of money to be made for the month of spring training.

They also have softball fields for college and community use.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Right. Whats troubling is that the existing economic impact study they'd commissioned clearly demonstrates this things a Dog, however.... "lets just commission another study" and I guess rather cynically I fully expect the next study will be altered, made to make the numbers crunch, workout in favor of the City & the Brewers. Total work of fiction of the exact same kind we saw in Glendale, last winter with the Coyotes presentation to Worsleys "Transportation Committee".

Hmmm...I wonder what Coyotes CEO Steve Patterson will come up with... :naughty: :popcorn:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not sure why we're talking about spring training facilities here........ but any time someone can find a way to mock the Coyotes out of it I guess it's cool. :help:

But FWIW.... the Brewers have the absolutely worst facility (location, age.... etc. ) of all the spring training teams in the valley. The heart of Maryvale district isn't the most attractive place to go unless you want to go back and live in the 60's when it was all built. Or need to visit the unemployment office nearby or get an official Arizona ID at the MVD. I think to closest example of fine dining in the area is a Sizzler. :laugh:

Really surprised they haven't done something like this this sooner.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not sure why we're talking about spring training facilities here........ but any time someone can find a way to mock the Coyotes out of it I guess it's cool. :help:

But FWIW.... the Brewers have the absolutely worst facility (location, age.... etc. ) of all the spring training teams in the valley. The heart of Maryvale district isn't the most attractive place to go unless you want to go back and live in the 60's when it was all built. Or need to visit the unemployment office nearby or get an official Arizona ID at the MVD. I think to closest example of fine dining in the area is a Sizzler. :laugh:

Really surprised they haven't done something like this this sooner.

Not so much. Its all part of the same pattern in Arizona be it the NBA, MLB, the NHL or the Cactus League with demands being put on the taxpayers "or else".... also.... and just for fun mind ye'.... a lot of decent Mexican & Asian restaurants in that district though ya, lots of the ubiquitous Subways, Jack in the Box, Dennys' etc as well. As for Sizzlers... they do a real nice Rib~Eye TL..... Smoky Chicken Avocado Burger. You ever havee? :P

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Maybe I'm missing something and not to get OT, but why do these MLB teams need such elaborate and expensive spring training facilities? Can't a simple ball diamond do?

Well no, because you have a minor league side too and if there's only one diamond, that means that it can't be used while spring training games are going on.

This would also house the Brewers Arizona League team too (mainly for high school players that were just drafted or foreign born players who signed from Latin America but are too advanced for the Dominican League.) This would also hold facilities for rehab since the Brewers and I'm assuming most other teams send their players down to their rookie league affiliates, whether in Arizona or Florida to rehab long term injuries like Tommy John surgery.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ No, Pattersons not referring to arena locations for those who dont hit the link..... Re-launching of limited game bundled tickets. "Flex Pack"....

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
^^^ No, Pattersons not referring to arena locations for those who dont hit the link..... Re-launching of limited game bundled tickets. "Flex Pack"....

Must really be a slow news period to be talking about stuff that came out over a week ago. Micro bumping at its finest. ;)

Might as well dust off the old Pierre The Hockey Snowman ads on YouTube. :laugh:

Super secret edit update....

Psssssssst........ single game tickets go on sale August 17. (but that's also been known for a week).

Super duper secret edit update....... (and this one is hot off the Twitter press)

[Tweet]897155893753556992[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
So it's been about 6 months or so since i have been on this thread and in that time, still no suckers building them a new arena, they are still in AZ, they are still having money issues, and the NHL still thinks hockey in AZ can be successful and is trying to bully politicians into subsidizing the team.

Did I miss anything?

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
still no suckers building them a new arena, they are still in AZ, they are still having money issues, and the NHL still thinks hockey in AZ can be successful and is trying to bully politicians into subsidizing the team.

Did I miss anything?

I condensed your post into a decade of coyotes news, you just need to pick a year from the last decade and apply it :D

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So it's been about 6 months or so since i have been on this thread and in that time, still no suckers building them a new arena, they are still in AZ, they are still having money issues, and the NHL still thinks hockey in AZ can be successful and is trying to bully politicians into subsidizing the team.

Did I miss anything?

Nope, come back in 5 years, the coyotes will still be in AZ, it's not changing:)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Did I miss anything?

No suckers building a new arena...Check
Still in Arizona...Check
Still having money issues...Check
NHL thinks hockey can be successful in AZ...Check
NHL still bullying politicians in subsidizing team...Check

Missed anything...Nope... :D

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Did I miss anything?

I dunno.... How long did it take Katz to finally get Edmonton and/or Alberta to pony up some coin for their portion of the Oilers' new arena?? :dunno:

Right now I really don't think the NHL or the Coyotes are in that big of a hurry.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I dunno.... How long did it take Katz to finally get Edmonton and/or Alberta to pony up some coin for their portion of the Oilers' new arena?? :dunno:

Right now I really don't think the NHL or the Coyotes are in that big of a hurry.

The Oilers stated their intent for the new building shortly after Katz's purchase in 2008 with the initial framework approved in 2011 and the final deal approved early 2014.

But the Oilers had a lease that ran until 2014 at the time so there's wasn't any urgency at first. If the Coyotes are looking into a similar timeframe (already 2 years in), perhaps they can remove the year to year component for a few years? Show that they'll put some roots down a bit?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Oilers stated their intent for the new building shortly after Katz's purchase in 2008 with the initial framework approved in 2011 and the final deal approved early 2014.

But the Oilers had a lease that ran until 2014 at the time so there's wasn't any urgency at first. If the Coyotes are looking into a similar timeframe (already 2 years in), perhaps they can remove the year to year component for a few years? Show that they'll put some roots down a bit?

Certainly a good point. Although at this point I don't think it'll matter. Plus any way they can stay away from dealing with the Glendale city council is probably best for them???

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
People still bizarrely upset there's still a team in Arizona...check

And yet...somehow...life and hockey goes on. :laugh:

:)

I find it amusing that an organization is willing to lose tens of millions a year with no end in sight and think it is a successful business venture.

I also find it very amusing how stupid government officials are, always believing their own hype. See you guys again in 6 to 9 months, not two weeks.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

I find it amusing that an organization is willing to lose tens of millions a year with no end in sight and think it is a successful business venture.

I also find it very amusing how stupid government officials are, always believing their own hype. See you guys again in 6 to 9 months, not two weeks.

Don't leave now, Tommy Hawk...the party is just getting started... :D

In fact, we are still waiting (since the contract was extended in March) for the Barrett Sports Group to release their report which was to be released late spring or early summer...even though the end of summer is just weeks away...on whether the existing arena could be made more compatible for hockey...

From this delay alone...maybe a re-aligned hockey configuration is not viable for a joint basketball/hockey venture from a cost perspective...so where oh where will the Coyotes go...since they will not stay in Glendale any longer...

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don't leave now, Tommy Hawk...the party is just getting started... :D

In fact, we are still waiting (since the contract was extended in March) for the Barrett Sports Group to release their report which was to be released late spring or early summer...even though the end of summer is just weeks away...on whether the existing arena could be made more compatible for hockey...

From this delay alone...maybe a re-aligned hockey configuration is not viable for a joint basketball/hockey venture from a cost perspective...so where oh where will the Coyotes go...since they will not stay in Glendale any longer...

Ah...... okay. Seems like a logical conclusion if all you want to look for is the worst in things. ;)

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

You realize, of course, those two paragraphs are completely interchangeable. :naughty:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
So...could ASU build a hockey arena and get CEO Steve Patterson to partner up again?

Nah... ;)

ASU’s Crow and Anderson address Graham’s future, stadium renovations

To quote:

"[Vice President for University Athletics Ray] Anderson on the progress toward building a hockey and Olympic sports arena:

“We’re making progress. We’re still having some discussions with the fundraising, the partners, in how we put it all together, but I am extremely optimistic in where that is going. I’m hoping sooner rather than later than we can go forward. We made a commitment to this hockey program and a part of that commitment was that we’re going to be playing in a Division I quality arena — and we’re going to deliver.

“I always remain open [to other options] but our preference, no question, is to build it within the [athletic facilities] district. If you press me, I’ll tell you straight out I would anticipate within the next 18 months or two years maybe even having an arena operational. Now that’s my aspiration. You know I’m pretty aggressive and half the time they think I’m kind of crazy.â€"

Source: http://arizonasports.com/story/1210...ddress-todd-graham-future-stadium-renovations

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
People still bizarrely upset there's still a team in Arizona...check

And yet...somehow...life and hockey goes on. :laugh:

I wouldn't qualify anything out of this thread as ''people upset there's still a team in Arizona''.

The state has an NHL team and that's good for them (and all of you folks), but no one can ignore the obvious particularities under which this team is still where it is.

You guys got a nice young team with a lot of potential including some of guys who I loved following right here in QcCity during their junior years (Domingue and Duclair), so I wish your team can get another 20 years of history in AZ and even write its name into the books by winning a cup.

But again, its hard to ignore that the business side of the adventure is...adventurous to say the least.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
But again, its hard to ignore that the business side of the adventure is...adventurous to say the least.

Oh, of that there is no doubt. There is certainly an academic discussion worthy of having occurring on these pages, to say the least.

There is also no doubt in my mind that some of the observers and participants have some...how to say this...prejudice? bias? an agenda? which colors, affects their contributions to that discussion, to the point where one wonders if it doesn't permit any objectivity in that discussion. The question is whether that effect on some is excessive and actually *detracts* from the discussion (I claim it is and it does, and were it permitted to name names on here, I would. Others believe not, apparently.)

Ah, but that's what makes the internet what it is, I suppose. For better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad