Phoenix CXX: High Tempe-rature

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
They chose to stay in Glendale because COG agreed to pay an exorbitant amount to keep them there, probably enough for them to limp to their 5 yr losses point, while having worked on some other deal.

I still believe most of their fans are in Scottsdale-Mesa-Tempe area.

Fugu,

Are you suggesting that the long-range plan that IA and NHL had in mind at the start of this was a 5th year escape to the East Valley and a new arena?

If so, then their negotiating with Glendale seems even more unethical.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Fugu,

Are you suggesting that the long-range plan that IA and NHL had in mind at the start of this was a 5th year escape to the East Valley and a new arena?

If so, then their negotiating with Glendale seems even more unethical.

Mostly I'm suggesting that I don't trust either group very much. Then they inserted that 5 Year exit clause. Really? You're getting $15 MM from the city, and you add that on top of it? Why? You also hide the information that the audit required for the city report? Oh really?

Something isn't quite right.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Mostly I'm suggesting that I don't trust either group very much. Then they inserted that 5 Year exit clause. Really? You're getting $15 MM from the city, and you add that on top of it? Why? You also hide the information that the audit required for the city report? Oh really?

Something is quite right.

(I presume you meant "is not quite right"?}

If that was the case.... they did a very poor job in concealing it.

But if you're going to take that farther in suggesting that they deliberately hired Tindall to bait Glendale into kicking them out (and taking the public blame) then your trekking into Killion territory. :D

But do not forget that had they walked away after five years, they were still obligated to pay Glendale the shortages to that extra $9 million per year in the lease.

Frankly..... I have to conclude IA just made a lot of rookie mistakes in how they handled their accounting with the city.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
(I presume you meant "is not quite right"?}

Yes, I did. I fixed it. Thanks.

If that was the case.... they did a very poor job in concealing it.

But if you're going to take that farther in suggesting that they deliberately hired Tindall to bait Glendale into kicking them out (and taking the public blame) then your trekking into Killion territory. :D

But do not forget that had they walked away after five years, they were still obligated to pay Glendale the shortages to that extra $9 million per year in the lease.

Frankly..... I have to conclude IA just made a lot of rookie mistakes in how they handled their accounting with the city.

I think there were some rookie mistakes, but at the same time, given that these are successful businessmen otherwise, are those kinds of mistakes acceptable? You don't "hide" information from the city that you agreed to provide. You don't ask for concessions from them but blow the mayor off otherwise. These were rather unprofessional antics, truth-be-told.

No, the Tindall thing was a surprise to me too, especially seeing that he was an Arizona attorney who should have known they could pull the plug if they wanted. There's something there perhaps we just don't know about given how quickly that was resolved in COG's favor. In essence, IA is scrambling. Is it all due to arrogance?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes, I did. I fixed it. Thanks.

I think there were some rookie mistakes, but at the same time, given that these are successful businessmen otherwise, are those kinds of mistakes acceptable? You don't "hide" information from the city that you agreed to provide. You don't ask for concessions from them but blow the mayor off otherwise. These were rather unprofessional antics, truth-be-told.

No, the Tindall thing was a surprise to me too, especially seeing that he was an Arizona attorney who should have known they could pull the plug if they wanted. There's something there perhaps we just don't know about given how quickly that was resolved in COG's favor. In essence, IA is scrambling. Is it all due to arrogance?

I have mixed thoughts about IA's lack of forthcoming with the financial statements.

Remember that was a time when Glendale had all their upheaval with Ed Beasley and his own manipulation of the city's accounts. Everything was being laid out in the open at the point, people were running to the media, etc. One could presume that IA was leery of turning over financial numbers to a city that was in the middle a feeding frenzy.

Plus, I recall there were accusations from IA that when the city sent the auditors in they wanted to see more than what they were actually entitled to. But everything was so disjointed at that stage it's difficult to really know what the truth was.... other than IA was definitely slacking in reporting their first year financials on the arena.

YMMV

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... :laugh: no, that theory doesnt hold water. they just made a real dumb hire in Lawyer Tindall. just not a whole lot of solid critical thought individually or collectively
when it comes to IA I'm afraid. the optics of that from the get go real bad... no, no Im afraid most conspiracy theoris are like the moon landings TL... fake....

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I have mixed thoughts about IA's lack of forthcoming with the financial statements.

Remember that was a time when Glendale had all their upheaval with Ed Beasley and his own manipulation of the city's accounts. Everything was being laid out in the open at the point, people were running to the media, etc. One could presume that IA was leery of turning over financial numbers to a city that was in the middle a feeding frenzy.

Plus, I recall there were accusations from IA that when the city sent the auditors in they wanted to see more than what they were actually entitled to. But everything was so disjointed at that stage it's difficult to really know what the truth was.... other than IA was definitely slacking in reporting their first year financials on the arena.

YMMV

I think it was intentional because they didn't take COG seriously, and COG figured that out. Which is rather egregious to do to a govt that was giving you the kind of money Glendale had given the Coyotes overall. I think they owed COG that data, but were going to delay or ignore as long as possible. That's why the 5-yr clause intrigued me when all this came out.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

YMMV

... well, they did take action.... would you have just had them turn the other cheek?... wait it out and hope IA doesnt blow like Vesuvias in year 5?...
still... I suppose theres something to be said for inaction... People of Pompeii for example... World Champion Mannequin Performers since 79AD.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
... :laugh: no, that theory doesnt hold water. they just made a real dumb hire in Lawyer Tindall. just not a whole lot of solid critical thought individually or collectively
when it comes to IA I'm afraid. the optics of that from the get go real bad... no, no Im afraid most conspiracy theoris are like the moon landings TL... fake....

hehehe...... I knew I could smoke you out.... :D

Remember how Tindall got that COI waiver from the council prior to leaving? You have to pretty much know now that was on purpose so he could try making the jump to IA and make them think they couldn't touch him.

Of course as CF pointed out the waiver was useless up against the state law.

I think it was intentional because they didn't take COG seriously, and COG figured that out. Which is rather egregious to do to a govt that was giving you the kind of money Glendale had given the Coyotes overall. I think they owed COG that data, but were going to delay or ignore as long as possible. That's why the 5-yr clause intrigued me when all this came out.

There's lots of conclusions we can come up with but yeah... I agree that even if they had reservations about what might happen with the data in Glendale's hands they should have given it to them.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Of course as CF pointed out the waiver was useless up against the state law.

... yeah, and as a Lawyer you'd have thought that Tindall wouldve been well aware of the fact that most "waivers" no matter how well written and in almost any situation are not in most cases worth the paper their written on.... and as Sid Vicious once said, today, everything's a conflict of interest... So be it a case of poorly written public policy in restricting freedom of movement, the right of an individual to seek & or accept employment... that forbids a public sector employee from accepting a position with a private interest with whom they have had dealings is something that many people feel should not exist at all... well, it does exist, and for very good reason, borne as it was out of the corruption that was Tammany Hall NYC, Chicago Politics etc etc etc.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Everything is going well in Arizona! :shakehead

I guess LeBlanc's original business plan, or any updates thereof, did not pan out as originally stated...

Re-watch the video from 07/02/13: http://glendale-az.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=8f3c0fd5-3556-1031-a604-3f6f72ec48a5

Starting approx. at time mark: 03:40:45 to 03:44:30

My transcript:

Councilmember Chavira: Mr. LeBlanc, do you have a very 'aggressive' marketing plan?

LeBlanc: My background is in sales and marketing. Yes, we have spent the lion share of our time on the business side of the Phoenix Coyotes. The hockey side is ticking along nicely. We are concerned about the business side (i.e., a 75 page plan) and the revenue streams we plan on enhancing.

I wonder how well his new 'special tax district' plan will play out with the State Legislature...

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
how do you know its the club selling these tix? there appear to be hundreds of them.

Why would anyone else purchase that many upper level tickets for a game with Calgary on a Thursday in December?

Why would anyone else end up trying to re-sell them on StubHub?

The most logical idea is that it's the club itself, simply because they are the ones who would have the seats, and would like any revenue possible for selling them.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Why would anyone else purchase that many upper level tickets for a game with Calgary on a Thursday in December?

The most logical idea is that it's the club itself, simply because they are the ones who would have the seats, and would like any revenue possible for selling them.

When faced with financial shortfalls, in business, it is called “Eating one's youngâ€...

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

dunno. just not necessarily convinced it's the team selling them.

one pair in 216, row B, seats 11 and 10 are offered on Stubhub for $15 each but those same tix are also offered on TM at resellers for $36 each. regular price appears to be $35 each. so, im just confused.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Exactly. If 2nd or 3rd outside parties speculatively purchased that much inventory at regular prices hoping to turn even a modest profit... well, none too bright, swift.... and yes, "confusing" GS but theres just no way it could be anyone other than the club itself.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
When faced with financial shortfalls, in business, it is called “Eating one's young”...

It's also called treating your loyal customers like crap ( if it's the team flooding StubHub ).

Unless you are in a market where ticket supply is short and you want to go to a large number of games, there is no reason to ever be a Season Ticket Holder in a market where hundreds of cheap tickets are available every game, and being put up by the club. Doesn't matter what the sport is.

Fans putting up tickets happens in almost every market and that's fine. The fan wants to sell at a loss, that's their choice. But if it's the club... these are unsold tickets and they are undercutting their loyal customers. No different then giving them away for free, which is what people complained about Florida doing.

It's just not good business. If people know they can always get cheap seats by waiting the team out, then that's exactly what they will do.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Exactly. If 2nd or 3rd outside parties speculatively purchased that much inventory at regular prices hoping to turn even a modest profit... well, none too bright, swift.... and yes, "confusing" GS but theres just no way it could be anyone other than the club itself.

Those 2nd and 3rd parties are just trying to 'cash-in' on all of LeBlanc's touted Canadian snowbirds...

To quote (from 2013):

"Canadian travelers are ideal customers for the Coyotes, said [Coyotes President and CEO Anthony] LeBlanc, a former marketing executive for BlackBerry manufacturer Research in Motion.

“One thing you learn when you become a salesperson is the expression ‘Fish where the fish are.’ There is no question that we have a very resilient and devoted fan base here, but there’s also no question that we have to grow that fan base,†he said.

The Coyotes’ owners plan to expand the base by drawing in their countrymen.

The Coyotes offer the lowest average ticket price in the NHL at $78 a seat, LeBlanc said. In contrast, western Canadian teams’ prices all average more than $260 a seat.

With that price difference, it’s fairly economical for hockey-loving Canadians to fly to Arizona, catch a couple of Coyotes games and take in a round or two of golf while they’re in town, LeBlanc said."

Source (with video): http://www.azcentral.com/community/...es-court-canadians-bolster-nhl-franchise.html

I guess he does not need those East valley fans... ;)

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It's also called treating your loyal customers like crap ( if it's the team flooding StubHub ).

Unless you are in a market where ticket supply is short and you want to go to a large number of games, there is no reason to ever be a Season Ticket Holder in a market where hundreds of cheap tickets are available every game, and being put up by the club. Doesn't matter what the sport is.

Fans putting up tickets happens in almost every market and that's fine. The fan wants to sell at a loss, that's their choice. But if it's the club... these are unsold tickets and they are undercutting their loyal customers. No different then giving them away for free, which is what people complained about Florida doing.

It's just not good business. If people know they can always get cheap seats by waiting the team out, then that's exactly what they will do.

to play devil's advocate, if you're still a season ticket holder in Arizona, you have a loyalty to that team that cannot be defeated by 6 dollar cheap seats.

I know I would be mad if I were a ST holder there, but I'm not, and I assume the current season ticket holders understand the position, otherwise they would have ditched them a long time ago.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
dunno. just not necessarily convinced it's the team selling them.

one pair in 216, row B, seats 11 and 10 are offered on Stubhub for $15 each but those same tix are also offered on TM at resellers for $36 each. regular price appears to be $35 each. so, im just confused.

Could be brokers who bought those tickets to sell to visitors and what not. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to IA to use StubHub to sell a ticket for $6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad