Phoenix CXVII: Waiting to Exhale (or see shovels in the ground)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
City makes final payment to NHL

To quote:

"Three years after agreeing to pay the National Hockey League $50 million in order for the team to remain in Glendale while the league ran the team, the city deposited $5 million deposit into an escrow account as the final payment was made Sept. 20.

“Per the agreement dated Sept. 20, 2013, the final $5 million payment from the city into the escrow account occurred yesterday, Sept. 20, 2016 (defined in the agreement as the third anniversary date),†said Assistant City Manager Tom Duensing. “The NHL can withdraw the final $5 million payment from the escrow account on or after Sept. 20, 2017 (defined in the agreement as the fourth anniversary date).â€

Council held a special meeting Sept. 20, but went directly into executive session for, “consideration and possible action regarding final escrow payment to the (NHL).â€

“This final payment satisfies the original agreement between the City and the NHL,†Duensing said. “No additional city payments are due under this agreement.â€"

Source: http://www.glendalestar.com/news/article_f765d102-8430-11e6-91e9-07bcaa2a7f04.html

NALA +9

Wouldn't that have been something if they decided not to pay the NHL for whatever reason. Would've given this thread a shot in the arm, at the very least.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wouldn't that have been something if they decided not to pay the NHL for whatever reason. Would've given this thread a shot in the arm, at the very least.

Would have been a lot more fun if the CoG said to the NHL.... " We aren't paying the last amount.. Bill Daly said it was just insurance " :naughty:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Well, factor into it the fact that IA cancelled or declined to make some of their scheduled GRA upgrades, and also the "real numbers" payroll versus the "cap payroll," and there might be a decline in expenses over time. Like I said, recent developments might have changed the numbers significantly from past numbers. We also don't know when or how their piece of the Vegas expansion pie is going to become part of the story (hell, they could be spending that on credit right now for all we know).

The Yotes finances will not have changed much from the last known and confirmed financials. Attendance is virtually unchanged. Player expenses have gone up slightly. Even with the naming rights and everything else, does anyone really believe that there was any significant dent made in the $25+ mil per year losses?

And one payment from the expansion distribution of $17 mil will not make much of a dent.

Would have been a lot more fun if the CoG said to the NHL.... " We aren't paying the last amount.. Bill Daly said it was just insurance " :naughty:

That is one heck of an insurance premium!!

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Scottsdale car auction joining influx of activity at Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community

To quote:

"The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community has experienced an influx of economic development and activity in recent months: Mainspring Capital is building a 60,000-square-foot, 12-acre retail center; San Francisco-based McKesson announced plans to build a $38 million, 271,000-square-foot twinned office complex on the tribal land; the 200,000-square-foot OdySea Aquarium opened there several weeks ago; the aquarium's companion site, Dolphinaris Arizona, will be opening there in October.

The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is also home to Butterfly Wonderland, TopGolf and Talking Stick Resort. There's been speculation [emphasis mine] that the Arizona Coyotes stadium could land there as well. Other major projects on the tribal land are in the pipeline."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-car-auction-joining-influx-of-activity.html

NALA +9

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Scottsdale car auction joining influx of activity at Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community

To quote:

"The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community has experienced an influx of economic development and activity in recent months: Mainspring Capital is building a 60,000-square-foot, 12-acre retail center; San Francisco-based McKesson announced plans to build a $38 million, 271,000-square-foot twinned office complex on the tribal land; the 200,000-square-foot OdySea Aquarium opened there several weeks ago; the aquarium's companion site, Dolphinaris Arizona, will be opening there in October.

The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is also home to Butterfly Wonderland, TopGolf and Talking Stick Resort. There's been speculation [emphasis mine] that the Arizona Coyotes stadium could land there as well. Other major projects on the tribal land are in the pipeline."

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-car-auction-joining-influx-of-activity.html

NALA +9

Now even the Phoenix Biz Journal is scraping the barrel for Coyotes arena news...... :biglaugh:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Now even the Phoenix Biz Journal is scraping the barrel for Coyotes arena news...... :biglaugh:

Just like at a car auction, with all of these multiple 'speculation' partners, apparently none of them are biting on LeBlanc's minimum 'reserve' pricing figure, either...

NALA +10

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Not sure it's scraping the bottom of the barrel; seems to me it's just a confirmation of what we've been theorizing and talking about here for the past several months about developers moving in on tribal lands. It's as close to actual news about the arena situation as we've gotten in a long time - versus the absolute lack of any sort of evidence that anything is happening either downtown or with ASU.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Just like at a car auction, with all of these multiple 'speculation' partners, apparently none of them are biting on LeBlanc's minimum 'reserve' pricing figure, either...

NALA +10

Well someone has to keep it in the news. Mr. LeBlanc has been peepless for a while. Likely by design.

Considering the speculation in the article is a hyperlink to a Sunnucks piece suggests scraping well below the barrel :laugh:

Curious - what does NALA +10 mean? It was +9 earlier?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well someone has to keep it in the news. Mr. LeBlanc has been peepless for a while. Likely by design.

Considering the speculation in the article is a hyperlink to a Sunnucks piece suggests scraping well below the barrel :laugh:

Curious - what does NALA +10 mean? It was +9 earlier?

I would venture he's counting the days since his presumed arena deadline passed in an attempt to be cute. :help:

Not sure it's scraping the bottom of the barrel; seems to me it's just a confirmation of what we've been theorizing and talking about here for the past several months about developers moving in on tribal lands. It's as close to actual news about the arena situation as we've gotten in a long time - versus the absolute lack of any sort of evidence that anything is happening either downtown or with ASU.

Well if you can find a relevant connection between a car auction company and the Coyotes' arena plans I'm all ears. :laugh:

NALA +10

Yet you have no idea what IA's plans are , if there are any. Nobody does.

Everyone's on a fishing expedition and they all forgot the bait. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Il0r0wo.jpg

Open letter to fans. I like it, but it kind of has to work, otherwise you cant go back to try anything else. In that sense bit of a hail mary

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Open letter to fans. I like it, but it kind of has to work, otherwise you cant go back to try anything else. In that sense bit of a hail mary

I shudder to think what sort of responses to the "No promises" line we'll see here over the next few hours... :D

I've seen this anti-marketing marketing platform before. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The apology part is a nice touch, though, although apologizing for their previous taglines and marketing themes is not what they should be sorry for, IMO.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I shudder to think what sort of responses to the "No promises" line we'll see here over the next few hours... :D

I've seen this anti-marketing marketing platform before. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The apology part is a nice touch, though, although apologizing for their previous taglines and marketing themes is not what they should be sorry for, IMO.

"No promises" is the first thing that stood out for me.

Other than the 100+ jokes we could come up with, at least by claiming "no promises" they are being honest. IA is in no position to promise anything to anyone, so don't even try.

"Do or do not...there is no try" - Yoda

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Still no arena announcement, but Coyotes president is ‘more confident and excited’ than ever

“I’ve never been more confident and excited about the process than I am today,†team president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said Sunday, per Arizona Sports. “Admittedly, these things take more time than any of us expected and humbly, this is the first time I’ve ever been involved in such an extensive development project so I didn’t appreciate that, but people should be comforted by the knowledge that we anticipate communication in the very near future.â€

You're confident about what Anthony? That you have nothing new to announce? :help:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It feels like they are setting the table for some bad news... it's a desperate move at least!

Well, it does say they aren't goin to talk about their commitment to stay, they're going to show it. I don't know how you can interpret that as bracing your market for relocation :dunno: Sounds like more wishful thinking on your part.
But the bottom line is that until they actually "show" it instead of talking about it, there is plenty of reason for doubt about this process.
I think this is just a misguided "anti-marketing" attempt. At least they're trying something different, I suppose.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Sorry??? About what? I thought it was everyone elses fault that the GRA deal did not work and that the piles of dirt were taking longer to materialize etc. etc. Tony the mouthpiece has been dishing his innuendos and lies forever. Finally he admits he is sorry? What a joke this group is, GB must have lowered the boom on these idiots and now they the gig is over, i believe I hear a duck quacking in the distance!

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Why would you be sorry for "hockey headquarters? Together we are full strength and not your fathers original six?" They are all good slogans dreamed up to excite fans and get them to come out and enjoy hockey join the Valley! Nothing to be sorry about here unless you knew all along that you were a house of cards and full of deception and lies!

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
"No promises" is the first thing that stood out for me.

Other than the 100+ jokes we could come up with, at least by claiming "no promises" they are being honest. IA is in no position to promise anything to anyone, so don't even try.

"Do or do not...there is no try" - Yoda

I think we have the next thread title: Phoenix CXVIII: No Promises (and this time we mean it)

NALA +13

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

This is real? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad