Phoenix CV: CoG went full-on haboob, man. Never go full-on haboob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, and its lazy. Lack of creativity (beyond the constructs of the agreement which deserves a special place in the Hockey Hall of Infamy) mind numbing. What is the problem here with embracing Southwestern culture, the market & the fans and making a proper stand? Playing off of and to their audience casual & hardcore included. This whole Canadian novelty act is beyond thin gruel, small town, small minded provincial to say the least. When in Rome...

The Coyotes do spend a lot of time doing local charitable functions and promoting to get more youth involvement in the sport.

Yet all I see for the past few pages are just the same bunch of snarky comments I've read multiple times in other megathreads on just one facet to how they promote the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, and its lazy. Lack of creativity (beyond the constructs of the agreement which deserves a special place in the Hockey Hall of Infamy) mind numbing. What is the problem here with embracing Southwestern culture, the market & the fans and making a proper stand? Playing off of and to their audience casual & hardcore included. This whole Canadian novelty act is beyond thin gruel, small town, small minded provincial to say the least. When in Rome...

Here's the thing I don't understand.....

Why do so many Coyotes' fans and the local "friendly" media keep giving LeBlanc and the NHL a pass? LeBlanc and crew seem so obviously to be in over their heads financially and in terms of creativity and management expertise. I think they might also be lazy, compared to other enterprises. As we noted in 2013 when the "sale" was completed, they needed to hit the ground running with both building up the Coyotes franchise and creating value from the arena management of non-hockey events. Instead, they seem to be more or less directionless in both the hockey and the business side of the Coyotes (are they rebuilding or aiming for the playoffs, can anyone convince me?). Going into their third year, it seems that one of their key strategies is to "lure" Canadian fans to come down and watch the Coyotes. This makes the mind-blowing assumption that Canadian fans haven't already figured out that they can get cheap tickets in Glendale, Arizona. Also, this marketing strategy comes at perhaps the least opportune time, when the Canadian (especially Alberta) economy is in a funk, and the Canadian dollar is low.

The non-hockey aspect of the arena business looks pretty dismal, too, and you wonder whether they are even putting much effort into that.

Meanwhile, the most newsworthy activity that they've managed to generate was having the contract with Glendale cancelled, and then getting embroiled in a lawsuit because for hiring two former CoG employees, neither of whom have exemplary credentials.

Behind all of this is the fact that they are cash-poor, own the team based on a rather dubious "sale", and have an out-clause in 3 years (which they insisted upon) that seems like the only solution for solving their growing debt problem.

Again, it's puzzling why Coyotes fans and the local media aren't asking LeBlanc more hard questions. The first question I would have asked him at the "town hall" is whether he still needs the "out clause", and whether he'd be prepared to waive it now. Don't let the guy off the hook so easily. Seriously. He's not the savior you (and Sam Chavira) think he is. He really isn't.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I forgot how all those other successful NHL teams counted on people to spend hundreds of dollars on a consistent basis to come watch their favourite team play in another city :sarcasm: . Man, it is just ridiculous how bad Leblanc is at this.

What's scary for me is that there's mention in the Vegas model as well of relying on transient fans, many of whom cheer for another team.

The Coyotes do spend a lot of time doing local charitable functions and promoting to get more youth involvement in the sport.

Yet all I see for the past few pages are just the same bunch of snarky comments I've read multiple times in other megathreads on just one facet to how they promote the team.

Some of the derision leveled at LeBlanc seems to be deserved. I do feel badly for Tippett and Maloney because I think they're very good at what they do and it's unfortunate that they don't have a deeper budget, inclusive of the draft/development side of things. The latter is the only way to build a solid franchise. If you're watching Shanahan and Babcock in Toronto, they are telling fans not to expect any better for 3+ years, or longer.

The Coyotes franchise and fans deserved better than COG, the NHL (wrt to Moyes and JB as well), Beasley, Scruggs, IA, Hulsizer....

@TL. Do you see a difference between IA/LeBlanc and the Coyotes franchise, and which do wish to defend?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

TL, I respect you as a fan and fair-minded commentator. Really, I don't have a beef against Phoenix fans. I just think that you are giving LeBlanc and the NHL way too much credit. Unless they get a real owner with a real plan, this isn't going to work in Glendale. It just isn't. I make fun of LeBlanc because I think he deserves it, and I'm surprised that more Coyotes' fans haven't seen through his act.

Next time you or another fan sees him, look him in the eye and ask him if he'd be prepared to waive the "out clause" as a positive gesture to the fans and other supporters.

habsinottawa

May 9, 2011

I would suggest that the reason these points keep getting brought up is that the Coyotes needed (and probably still do need) a far more comprehensive marketing strategy. Grass-roots promotion and charities are great, but they need more to draw people in and their CEO/Owner actually said that getting people to come from thousands of miles away is part of their strategy. That is stupid, and it puts the focus on the wrong demographic. It's just one example of an ownership group that appears to be completely over-matched by their challenge.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

"One facet"?. No. Were talking the whole enchilada. Sure their to be commended for supporting youth hockey in the State, particularly GMDM, Tippett & the players themselves but were talking far more than that TL. Its just "everything" and its not just LeBlancs' or IA shortcomings, its the NHL itself thats responsible, authored this situation. This whole meme of "grow the game" empty rhetoric, sloganeering of the worst kind. When has this league ever put its money where its mouth is? They go for the money grab, "here we are, growing the game again" then just expect that growth to happen through osmosis while teams like the Coyotes, Stars, Panthers & others struggle to make payroll. Intransigence be thy name. LeBlanc has no background in this sector, not a "marketing guy" and everything he's done coming off looking totally amateur. Hasnt got the knowledge nor the money to pull this off and the NHL knew that, knows it, they had to have which only opens up Pandoras' Box in terms of motive. As in what is really going on? So of course our Members posting here will reignite conversation on topics already discussed as new inf & activities relate to them. Everyones frustrated. Thats what happens when clearly people are not being honest, that somethings very rotten in the State of Arizona. Its not the fans fault, its not Maloneys, Tippets or the players faults. So of course were all interested, but should we blamed for asking questions ourselves? Opining on this or that? This is a ****ing chatboard Pal. Thats what its for. Why were here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Coyotes franchise and fans deserved better than COG, the NHL (wrt to Moyes and JB as well), Beasley, Scruggs, IA, Hulsizer....

@TL. Do you see a difference between IA/LeBlanc and the Coyotes franchise, and which do wish to defend?

^^^

Yup. Too many self-serving and incompetent people involved. Maybe the NHL didn't have options, or maybe they overplayed their hand, but LeBlanc and co. are not the answer, and they have never been the answer. I think that they are just going to disappoint in the end.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I would suggest that the reason these points keep getting brought up is that the Coyotes needed (and probably still do need) a far more comprehensive marketing strategy. Grass-roots promotion and charities are great, but they need more to draw people in and their CEO/Owner actually said that getting people to come from thousands of miles away is part of their strategy. That is stupid, and it puts the focus on the wrong demographic. It's just one example of an ownership group that appears to be completely over-matched by their challenge.

I think it's okay to ask the question, "How do we get the visitors to come to games," which may number 200K or so iirc, and who will be in the Valley. This may end up being 5-10% of their audience on any given night, noting that 22 of the visiting teams are not Canadian, and still more skewed towards Western Conference teams.

However this is in the "other" or "secondary" category of their marketing plan. Ninety percent of available seats need to be targeted at the local population. The effort needs to match the dollars expended and expected.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
^^^

Yup. Too many self-serving and incompetent people involved. Maybe the NHL didn't have options, or maybe they overplayed their hand, but LeBlanc and co. are not the answer, and they have never been the answer. I think that they are just going to disappoint in the end.

When the only people looking to buy the team were people who lack the funds, that should say something about the business. Outside of Reinsdorf, was there anyone who we know had the money? With LeBlanc, he kept trying and eventually was the last one standing.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What's scary for me is that there's mention in the Vegas model as well of relying on transient fans, many of whom cheer for another team.

Meh, I think the Vegas model is a little different in that there's already going to be a good number of other team's fans visiting here, and they've been coming here for years and decades. There also likely won't be a targeting of a specific fanbase.

Every pro game I've been to in football, baseball, hockey, that didn't involve a Chicago team was a result of me being in town when the home team happened to also be in town and it was just another activity to enjoy. I don't think I'm unusual in that aspect.

However, even if the Vegas plan involved luring the opposing team's fans into the arena, you've got to admit that Las Vegas' apparatus to lure those fans is significantly larger, better prepared, and more experienced at doing so than most every other team in the league now.

I really don't think the effort will be much other than a marquee on the Strip announcing that night's game and the availability of tickets to be quite honest. If some high roller/high level loyalty person happens to ask for suite tickets to the game in lieu of a $500 food/alcohol tab I'm sure the MGM group would be happy to oblige, but those folks would have likely been coming down anyways.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Here's the thing I don't understand.....

Why do so many Coyotes' fans and the local "friendly" media keep giving LeBlanc and the NHL a pass? LeBlanc and crew seem so obviously to be in over their heads financially and in terms of creativity and management expertise. I think they might also be lazy, compared to other enterprises. As we noted in 2013 when the "sale" was completed, they needed to hit the ground running with both building up the Coyotes franchise and creating value from the arena management of non-hockey events. Instead, they seem to be more or less directionless in both the hockey and the business side of the Coyotes (are they rebuilding or aiming for the playoffs, can anyone convince me?). Going into their third year, it seems that one of their key strategies is to "lure" Canadian fans to come down and watch the Coyotes. This makes the mind-blowing assumption that Canadian fans haven't already figured out that they can get cheap tickets in Glendale, Arizona. Also, this marketing strategy comes at perhaps the least opportune time, when the Canadian (especially Alberta) economy is in a funk, and the Canadian dollar is low.

The non-hockey aspect of the arena business looks pretty dismal, too, and you wonder whether they are even putting much effort into that.

Meanwhile, the most newsworthy activity that they've managed to generate was having the contract with Glendale cancelled, and then getting embroiled in a lawsuit because for hiring two former CoG employees, neither of whom have exemplary credentials.

Behind all of this is the fact that they are cash-poor, own the team based on a rather dubious "sale", and have an out-clause in 3 years (which they insisted upon) that seems like the only solution for solving their growing debt problem.

Again, it's puzzling why Coyotes fans and the local media aren't asking LeBlanc more hard questions. The first question I would have asked him at the "town hall" is whether he still needs the "out clause", and whether he'd be prepared to waive it now. Don't let the guy off the hook so easily. Seriously. He's not the savior you (and Sam Chavira) think he is. He really isn't.

As for fans, nobody in Phoenix thinks that LeBlanc and the NHL are saviors, and nobody thinks that the COG made a great deal. Nobody thinks the ownership group is awesome and that they will spend to be a top 5 salary team. Most fans just want an entertaining team with a shot at the playoffs.

The COG court proceedings is just viewed as more drama by fans. They have had years of this type of drama, so they are used to it. The old COG members made a deal the new COG members do not like. They are trying to unwind it, but like most deals, they will have to live with it. Business's and individuals enter into contracts they later regret all the time, so this is nothing new or out of the ordinary, basically, so what?

At the end of the day, everyone knows the NHL will keep hockey in Phoenix with the prospects of 500 mill to 1 billion in new franchise fee's coming there way. They won't screw that up by letting the Coyotes move to Vegas/Seattle/wherever.The only move the Coyotes might make is to a new arena downtown in a few years.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Yeah, that so called "Town Hall Meeting" at the Ice Den in Scottsdale little more than a Love-In, Kumbaya. Id imagine anyone standing up & asking real questions about the dire business situation wouldve been jeered off the mic, confronted by a couple of 275 pounders out in the parking lot afterwards. The Coyotes do have a small but very hardcore fanbase, some of whom wont stomach any needles directed at their rapidly deflating balloon. Seriously emotionally & financially invested & thats cool. But at the same time, if you really care, why wouldnt you be asking those questions of LeBlanc? To date the only real "sponsorship" activity with decent dollar value the building naming rights deal & that a no brainer dead simple, yet even then, the financials, what Glendale is supposed to receive or not yet another bone of contention. Beyond that, Canadiana nonsense. A Tim Hortons kiosk. Re-do, finally, of the uniforms and they didnt get that right either. Looks like a Senators 3rd jersey or something. I mean, are you kiddin me?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, that so called "Town Hall Meeting" at the Ice Den in Scottsdale little more than a Love-In, Kumbaya. Id imagine anyone standing up & asking real questions about the dire business situation wouldve been jeered off the mic, confronted by a couple of 275 pounders out in the parking lot afterwards. The Coyotes do have a small but very hardcore fanbase, some of whom wont stomach any needles directed at their rapidly deflating balloon. Seriously emotionally & financially invested & thats cool. But at the same time, if you really care, why wouldnt you be asking those questions of LeBlanc? To date the only real "sponsorship" activity with decent dollar value the building naming rights deal & that a no brainer dead simple, yet even then, the financials, what Glendale is supposed to receive or not yet another bone of contention. Beyond that, Canadiana nonsense. A Tim Hortons kiosk. Re-do, finally, of the uniforms and they didnt get that right either. Looks like a Senators 3rd jersey or something. I mean, are you kiddin me?

...or tased in the back by a smirking nurse with a BeavisPAC t-shirt and a black bandana. :help:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As for fans, nobody in Phoenix thinks that LeBlanc and the NHL are saviors, and nobody thinks that the COG made a great deal. Nobody thinks the ownership group is awesome and that they will spend to be a top 5 salary team. Most fans just want an entertaining team with a shot at the playoffs.

The COG court proceedings is just viewed as more drama by fans. They have had years of this type of drama, so they are used to it. The old COG members made a deal the new COG members do not like. They are trying to unwind it, but like most deals, they will have to live with it. Business's and individuals enter into contracts they later regret all the time, so this is nothing new or out of the ordinary, basically, so what?

At the end of the day, everyone knows the NHL will keep hockey in Phoenix with the prospects of 500 mill to 1 billion in new franchise fee's coming there way. They won't screw that up by letting the Coyotes move to Vegas/Seattle/wherever.The only move the Coyotes might make is to a new arena downtown in a few years.

Just my opinion, but carry on with the legal extortion/drama chatter:)

Actually, check out BeavisPAC (aka "Glendale First") for a group of ardent fans that thinks that the CoG has a sweet deal, LeBlanc is awesome, and the NHL can do no wrong.

If the NHL is really willing to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix to preserve $500M to $1B in fees, then they should have just handed the franchise over to Reinsdorf for a dollar or two, arranged to have Glendale give him $15 million a year (with no out clause), and let the franchise try to make a real go of it in that market.

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
"One facet"?. No. Were talking the whole enchilada. Sure their to be commended for supporting youth hockey in the State, particularly GMDM, Tippett & the players themselves but were talking far more than that TL. Its just "everything" and its not just LeBlancs' or IA shortcomings, its the NHL itself thats responsible, authored this situation. This whole meme of "grow the game" empty rhetoric, sloganeering of the worst kind. When has this league ever put its money where its mouth is? They go for the money grab, "here we are, growing the game again" then just expect that growth to happen through osmosis while teams like the Coyotes, Stars, Panthers & others struggle to make payroll. Intransigence be thy name. LeBlanc has no background in this sector, not a "marketing guy" and everything he's done coming off looking totally amateur. Hasnt got the knowledge nor the money to pull this off and the NHL knew that, knows it, they had to have which only opens up Pandoras' Box in terms of motive. As in what is really going on? So of course our Members posting here will reignite conversation on topics already discussed as new inf & activities relate to them. Everyones frustrated. Thats what happens when clearly people are not being honest, that somethings very rotten in the State of Arizona. Its not the fans fault, its not Maloneys, Tippets or the players faults. So of course were all interested, but should we blamed for asking questions ourselves? Opining on this or that? This is a ****ing chatboard Pal. Thats what its for. Why were here.

Gary Bettman seems to go after owners who love the money... not the game... his sales pitch is about the money. This, to me, is the big problem with markets like Phoenix. You need someone who understands the market, and also the product. Gary Bettman admitted day 1 when he was hired as commish of his lack of understanding of the game . His understanding of business is different - he gets it.... but his failing is not understanding the product and thus, the product's consumers. Bettman's business isn't hockey... the product is... but the business Bettman is in is Sports Franchising.... not hockey.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The old COG members made a deal the new COG members do not like. They are trying to unwind it, but like most deals, they will have to live with it.

Actually, that's for a judge to decide. Or the parties by way of settlement. Obviously a settlement would be quite a reversal for the party that said this whole thing was going to be laughed out of court. That was the Coyotes and there don't seem to be many LOLs coming from TeamTony now, do there?

Business's and individuals enter into contracts they later regret all the time, so this is nothing new or out of the ordinary, basically, so what?

Generally speaking, sure. But this isn't generally, this is a specific case and here's the so what: LeBlanc is an ineffective CEO and he hired Tindall and Frisoni quite possibly in violation of a law that would allow the entire agreement to be cancelled. That type of sheer stupidity is a bit out of the ordinary. At least it is to me. It's very funny to watch though.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Gary Bettman seems to go after owners who love the money... not the game... his sales pitch is about the money. This, to me, is the big problem with markets like Phoenix. You need someone who understands the market, and also the product. Gary Bettman admitted day 1 when he was hired as commish of his lack of understanding of the game . His understanding of business is different - he gets it.... but his failing is not understanding the product and thus, the product's consumers. Bettman's business isn't hockey... the product is... but the business Bettman is in is Sports Franchising.... not hockey.

He's been at this for over two decades now. I think he's smart enough to have learned something during that time, no?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
There's some debate as to whether or not this is the case:

http://nebulousverbosity.com/blog/moodys-glendale-upgrade/

Ahhh..... Ummm..... that would be called "spin"

What's been missed so far in the discussion here about Mr. Fallar's piece

A request for the RFPs submitted before IceArizona was aboard with the Coyotes and as arena managers was denied, so there’s no way of knowing what company bid what. It’s important to remember that an extension had to be granted for reviewing RFPs because not enough companies were interested in taking on a non-hockey venue.

Yet, several days ago a certain someone here pointed him the right direction regarding those and yet... :naughty:

Perhaps still digesting the data dump :dunno:

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
He's been at this for over two decades now. I think he's smart enough to have learned something during that time, no?

Definitely. We've seen him embrace the game more... but it's not his primary concern (which is a good thing business-wise, because his judgment isn't clouded about how to increase revenues and chase down the most profitable deals at the loss of tradition... for example, the Rogers deal ... but when it comes to these tough hockey markets like Phoenix, it becomes a problem, because he doesn't pick the right people to promote hockey in a way that is compelling to the market). I still don't think I've ever seen him in skates .... I Googled "Gary Bettman in skates" and this pic was one of the first 20 results and was the only pic of someone wearing skates:laugh:

2dbd71468d864dc41c1ffc8c20dacc00.jpg

EDIT: to expand on "compelling to the market"... which can be construed as just empty rhetoric..... In everything I read about Bettman's initial ideas about hockey in Phoenix... his big selling point to the world was "hockey ... in the desert!!!" .... which is selling hockey as a novelty.... which egotistically, I can see how that's a compelling sales pitch from Bettman: "Look what I did.. I did the impossible and brought hockey - a game played on ice - to the desert"..... but hockey is not just a "game played on ice".... and selling a sport based on its features like "speed", "tough game", "finesse" .. etc.. is lame. That whole Samurai ad campaign after the lockout is what I'm talking about. It gave chills (d-chills and genuine f-yeah chills alike) to people who already love hockey.. to everyone else.. the message wasn't unique.. any athlete can be likened to a warrior... I know these decisions aren't his ultimately... but he's at the top of the organization, and hires the people who make these decisions. He's money-motivated, so his "human touch" isn't his strongest suit... but he doesn't seem humble enough to see this as a problem.

Last edited:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON

like what?

preaching to the converted is useless. they need to get and keep the attention of folks who have never heard of hockey. i wasnt joking when i said leblanc should have had the players out carrying groceries to people's car for them.

activities that grow the game these past few years in phoenix have obviously been unproductive as far as the survival of the franchise matters. sure, its nice but big deal that you play hockey in high schools now. leblanc has utterly failed to gain any sort of foothold in getting more paid customers.

leblanc failed to understand that he needed to hit the ground running. he utterly failed to do that.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Yeah, and its lazy. Lack of creativity (beyond the constructs of the agreement which deserves a special place in the Hockey Hall of Infamy mind numbing. What is the problem here with embracing Southwestern culture, the market & the fans and making a proper stand? Playing off of and to their audience casual & hardcore included. This whole Canadian novelty act is beyond thin gruel, small town, small minded provincial to say the least. When in Rome...

A few points to at least consider, K. You know marketing, promotion and advertising. If you were running the state's outreach effort to attract more visitors to the Valley, wouldn't you be laser-focused on marketing to the state's top-grossing international market? More than 700,000 Canadians visit AZ each year and spend >$900m when they're here. Wouldn't failing to put on a full-court press to draw even more of them here get you fired?

"Literally thousands of Canadian citizens plan Arizona visits up to six months in length each year. Often considered their second home, the state has become such an important partner in trade that the Government of Canada opened a consulate in Phoenix in fall 2004. The consulate promotes and expands the bilateral trade, tourism, investment and innovation relations between Canada and Arizona, as well as under-taking general relations and advocacy throughout the state. It works closely with a variety of Arizona groups and non-governmental organizations including the Canada Arizona Business Council in Phoenix..."

http://www.experiencescottsdale.com/scottsdales-canadian-connections-cool-deals/

As someone who lives here I don't care why Canadians (or any snowbirds) winter here. Whether it's the weather, Cardinals, Suns, Coyotes, Spring Training, golf, or family vacation, I just want them to visit, enjoy what we have to offer, and go home and tell their friends what a great time they had.

And, of course, an even a bigger reason to go after Canadians is that you all can get cheap airline tickets and book bargain-priced hotels during our peak visitors season, plus get a ticket to a Coyotes game for < the price of a hockey ticket in Canada. (Or so I've been told many times ;)).

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
IceArizona's annual arena rent of $125,000 has been posted...

Source: http://www.glendaleaz.com/FollowYou...ndAccountingGrpID=X01&CatID=X4046&FundID=1000

Even though the city council 'vacated' all workshops and meetings for the month of July,
a 'special workshop' has just been posted for Monday, July 13, where
the council will immediately go into Executive Session on 'legal' matters...

Source: https://glendale-az.legistar.com/Me...8-47D7-9E8D-0F5EEF6B5617&Options=info&Search=

And everyone thought it was going to be a slow news day... ;)

:popcorn:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
A few points to at least consider, K. You know marketing, promotion and advertising. If you were running the state's outreach effort to attract more visitors to the Valley, wouldn't you be laser-focused on marketing to the state's top-grossing international market? More than 700,000 Canadians visit AZ each year and spend >$900m when they're here. Wouldn't failing to put on a full-court press to draw even more of them here get you fired?

If I was running that, yes, absolutely. If I was running the Arizona Coyotes then no, it would be a very small, minute component of my focus.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If I was running that, yes, absolutely. If I was running the Arizona Coyotes then no, it would be a very small, minute component of my focus.

Agreed, 700K visiting anywhere from a week to 6 months vs. 4.5 million living year around.

Mr. Leblanc, do you know where the fish are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad