Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Who's being funny?

It took the Fox news commentator yesterday about 20 minutes to start talking about "never forgetting where we were this day" and how this would "forever change the city of Boston" and I'm saying thankfully it wasn't that bad. How many people who weren't on the scene remember where they were for the Atlanta Olympic bombing? Did that "forever change Atlanta?"

Too early to speculate on the suspects or their motivation, but even if this is a socio/religious/political thing, where does it rate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents,_January–June_2012

The world is a dangerous, dangerous place, and if people changed their habit patterns for everything like some will for this, nobody would ever leave the house. Keep calm and carry on, Boston ...
That's not how we handle things, we knee jerk and overreact, measured responses are for fools. :sarcasm:

The media may be overblowing it (that's what they do) but this is a significant event. It's pure foolishness to believe otherwise.

Simply horrifying. Also, I've got to agree with NAURutger, here. When did the news start showing everything? I feel like I used to be protected from the pure gore by watching the news on television, rather than looking on the internet when something like this happened. Yesterday I'm watching CBS (or whatever) and I'm seeing guys with missing limbs, and pools of blood on the streets. I don't need that. I don't want that. I'm absolutely offended when I'm shown it. I don't offend easy. That does it, though. I guess everybody has a button to push. That's mine.
As a country we've got out priorities twisted, violence and gore on TV is perfectly ok but a pair of **** would cause the phone lines to absolutely meltdown. Violent and prude, scary combination!

Read it again until it makes sense to you.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That doesn't make it less sad and disturbing does it?

If you find it genuinely disturbing then you haven't been paying attention to the world lately. While it's 'shocking' for the United States, it's going to receive a disproportionate amount of media attention. People of another nationality don't count I guess. It's only really 'sad' if you share that sentiment. Honestly, I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. It's almost assuredly domestic, and you'd think there'd be plenty of disgruntled people and wackos out there willing to do this sort of thing.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
If you find it genuinely disturbing then you haven't been paying attention to the world lately. While it's 'shocking' for the United States, it's going to receive a disproportionate amount of media attention. People of another nationality don't count I guess. It's only really 'sad' if you share that sentiment. Honestly, I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. It's almost assuredly domestic, and you'd think there'd be plenty of disgruntled people and wackos out there willing to do this sort of thing.

I do feel terribly sad for innocent Syrians. The fact that kids get blown to pieces every day there doesn't really change the fact that I feel really bummed for the poor athletes who their legs blown off. :dunno:

I'm not sure what you all are trying to say? We should just ignore it and tell those people to suck it up?

By the way, I'm not even an American citizen. My country of origin doesn't really affect my empathy though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not sure what you all are trying to say? We should just ignore it and tell those people to suck it up?

Don't ignore it, but definitely suck it up and move on with life. There's no need for dramatic surveillance legislation, or for those events to be replayed over and over again for a month. When they find the people responsible, there will be a media orgy over every little facet of their life. Gobs and gobs of attention heaped upon someone who did this for exactly that reason. Some poor Saudi guy was watching the race, and some idiot tackled him because he looked 'suspicious'. They just turned around a flight because two guys were talking in Arabic on it. One of them had been actually injured in the bombing. This is exactly how Americans should NOT act after such an event.

Find the people who did it, put them on trial, move on with life. I don't need to hear this guy/groups Tea Party manifesto, or how we need more heavy handed policy to prevent such a 'tragedy.' I can name all the big shooters in recent times but I can't name a single victim. In the end, all of this fuss just creates more would be bombers and shooters, as every psychologist has pointed out. I choose to acknowledge those who have lost and simply move on.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Don't ignore it, but definitely suck it up and move on with life. There's no need for dramatic surveillance legislation, or for those events to be replayed over and over again for a month. When they find the people responsible, there will be a media orgy over every little facet of their life. Gobs and gobs of attention heaped upon someone who did this for exactly that reason. Some poor Saudi guy was watching the race, and some idiot tackled him because he looked 'suspicious'. They just turned around a flight because two guys were talking in Arabic on it. One of them had been actually injured in the bombing. This is exactly how Americans should NOT act after such an event.

Find the people who did it, put them on trial, move on with life. I don't need to hear this guy/groups Tea Party manifesto, or how we need more heavy handed policy to prevent such a 'tragedy.' I can name all the big shooters in recent times but I can't name a single victim. In the end, all of this fuss just creates more would be bombers and shooters, as every psychologist has pointed out. I choose to acknowledge those who have lost and simply move on.
Very well said!

Also...Noah Pozner...RIP little dude

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I do feel terribly sad for innocent Syrians. The fact that kids get blown to pieces every day there doesn't really change the fact that I feel really bummed for the poor athletes who their legs blown off. :dunno:

I'm saying that if 3 people had been shot in Boston, it wouldn't even make the news, but for some reason, the unique nature of it being a bomb attack means it dominates the national conversation for a few weeks. And we'll revisit this next year. Maybe the next few years.

... and why do we think there's a threat to the London Marathon?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/w...-for-london-marathon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

One in six Americans who dies this year is going to die of heart disease. 12,000-15,000 of us are going to be murdered this year. These are things we should probably be talking about. Thousands of Pakistanis are going to die in bombings / shootings this year, and American foreign policy has a lot to do with why it's happening. A dialogue we should have as a country?

No, no ... keep eating Burger King and not exercising, keep fathering illegitimate children and keep putting them in crappy, failing schools, keep driving cheap gas and keep buying the newest iPhone ... here, look at this tabloid photograph of a bomb:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22177669

Now the national conversation will be about what type of backpack the bomber used.

32 Iraqis got killed the same day in what WAS a coordinated, nationwide bomb plot.
http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-string-attacks-across-country-kills-32-105942820.html

7 Venezuelans were killed today after their Presidential elections (what's the definition of "terrorism" again?), but again, we're worried about what type of bomb was used in Boston.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/world/americas/venezuela-elections-unrest/index.html

You're allowed to be sad. Just don't act like this is a bigger deal than it is. Unless something radical happens, we aren't going to war over this. This world is an insanely violent place ... why do we focus all our attention and effort on these three particular killings? Lots of attention paid to the fact that one of the people who was killed in Boston was an 8-year old boy.

http://niagara-gazette.com/local/x266748865/Judge-delays-ruling-in-child-murder-case
... sorta like this one? Why the double-standard?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
No, no ... keep eating Burger King and not exercising, keep fathering illegitimate children and keep putting them in crappy, failing schools, keep driving cheap gas and keep buying the newest iPhone ... here, look at this tabloid photograph of a bomb:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22177669
You have some good points but the above generalization is at best counterproductive and at worst stereotypical and smug.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You have some good points but the above generalization is at best counterproductive and at worst stereotypical and smug.

Stereotypes are rooted in shades of truth.

GWI's latest hobby? Suing public health facilities. Because your local YMCA is such a terror to private businesses.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...s-gilbert-shut-rec-center.html?nclick_check=1

The Goldwater Institute is demanding that Gilbert cease operations at its popular Freestone Recreation Center over concerns that the $11 million public facility violates state law and unfairly competes with private fitness centers.

Goldwater attorney Taylor Earl said the conservative think tank hopes to send a message across the state that compels governments “to stay within their constitutional bounds,” something the group believes Gilbert has overstepped in building the public fitness center.

Though Freestone is now nearly 11 years old, a local gym owner complained to the Goldwater Institute last year, prompting the group’s recent legal challenge, Earl said. He refused to identify the owner but said it was a gym in Gilbert.

That this state continues to shelter these trolls is a joke. Strike down the gift clause and strip these buffoons of their legal licenses. Other states have frivolous lawsuit laws. This would certainly qualify. I'm surprised they haven't sued Phoenix Metro for providing subsidized transportation yet. Gotta make sure those cab companies can compete!

I absolutely loathe AZ politics. A state run by ALEC cronies that strives to serve every corporate need.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Stereotypes are rooted in shades of truth.
Yes they can be but in this instance what I read was a simplistic overgeneralization that came off as mean spirited and pompous. I'm merely pointing it out because I think it detracted from what was an otherwise insightful post.

I absolutely loathe AZ politics. A state run by ALEC cronies that strives to serve every corporate need.
I believe AZ is typically ranked toward the very bottom of the 50 states in most intellectual, educational, etc. categories. I'm sure it's one of the main reasons such politics thrive here.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think everyone has said their peace ... anybody headed to the Arizona Barbecue Festival this weekend in Scottsdale?

http://azbbqfestival.com

Nope and I'm going to wait until all of the facts are out given all that has gone on.

I believe AZ is typically ranked toward the very bottom of the 50 states in most intellectual, educational, etc. categories. I'm sure it's one of the main reasons such politics thrive here.

For all of the bad stuff I hear about AZ, and there are plenty of bad things here just like anywhere else in the states, States like California and NY are worse. I hope AZ is never run like those 2 states except for getting rid of Right-to-Work of course.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
It's about understanding risks and evaluating them appropriately.

Terrorism is called TERRORism and is extra scary, but someone is far more likely to be a victim of plain old murder.

Heart disease is downright boring because you'll probably be 50 and you'll see it coming for years in advance, but you're far more likely to kill yourself by the way you live than be killed by someone with a grudge.

Shark attacks? Plane crashes?

People overreact to sensational things and overestimate how likely they are to happen.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's about understanding risks and evaluating them appropriately.

Terrorism is called TERRORism and is extra scary, but someone is far more likely to be a victim of plain old murder.

Heart disease is downright boring because you'll probably be 50 and you'll see it coming for years in advance, but you're far more likely to kill yourself by the way you live than be killed by someone with a grudge.

Shark attacks? Plane crashes?

People overreact to sensational things and overestimate how likely they are to happen.
You're preaching to the choir man. As I mentioned before, I think an entire semester on probability should be required in high school. Then maybe, just maybe people would learn to react proportionally to the perceived dangers of the world.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You're preaching to the choir man. As I mentioned before, I think an entire semester on probability should be required in high school. Then maybe, just maybe people would learn to react proportionally to the perceived dangers of the world.

Probable deaths on April 15 by cause:
Terrorism: 3
Smoking: ~1190
Obesity: ~306
Alcohol: ~232
Toxic agents: ~150
Preventable medical errors: ~120
Traffic collisions: ~117
Firearms deaths: ~79 (~29 homicides)
STIs: ~54
Drug abuse: ~46

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preventable_causes_of_death#Leading_causes_in_the_United_States

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Probable deaths on April 15 by cause:
Terrorism: 3
Smoking: ~1190
Obesity: ~306
Alcohol: ~232
Toxic agents: ~150
Preventable medical errors: ~120
Traffic collisions: ~117
Firearms deaths: ~79 (~29 homicides)
STIs: ~54
Drug abuse: ~46

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preventable_causes_of_death#Leading_causes_in_the_United_States
The funny thing about that is you could combine all of those into one and you'd still be EXTREMELY unlikely to die. The fact is first world humans are pretty damn good at surviving these days.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Nobody going to be in Scottsdale then?
It sounded pretty cool until I looked up the website, is Scottsdale capable of promoting anything in a non-douchey way?!

How poetic if I die of excessive barbecue and alcohol assumption ...
Hey at least over consumption of alcohol and BBQ would be a hell of a way of to go out!! :cheers:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

some language, be warned

They are pretty sure these are the bombing suspects. One in custody, one hiding in a cordoned off area. 1 guard, 1 bpd dead.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What bank do you use?

I've been with Bank of America since I was 18 but I'm thinking about trying somewhere new. The one thing my new bank MUST have is slick online tools, that's one thing I like about BofA, their online banking is pretty solid. Not sure how it stacks up to others but wherever I go it needs to be at least as good as BofA's offering.

So anyway, who do you bank with and do you recommend them? How are their online tools?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I use Desert Schools.

Their online banking lets me check my balance online and make transfers between linked accounts (checking and saving, etc.), but I haven't really tried to do anything else. Not sure if that's what you'd define as "slick" though.

I have pretty much no complaints about them personally.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I use Desert Schools.

I have pretty much no complaints about them personally.
... except that their radio commercials are pretty stupid.

I use Chase ... same as Rundblad, no complaints. Chase has branches all over America, so they might be easier to track down if you're traveling / moving and need a branch office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad