Feb 19, 2010
Yes - one of the fireman that lost their jobs

xchXUJm.gif

... nice try kihekah. :laugh:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
That Westhead article makes it sounds like IA has no intention of re negotiating. It also make Barroway sound like more and more of a farce. Just like the whole thing.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Well that didn't take too long.

I guess Mr. Bailey gave good advice to the council after all.

How long now until that letter is filed to AI ?
They have to wait until the TRO expires on the 29th.

BTW, can anybody local in Glendale forward links to Joyce's blog http://joyceclarkunfiltered.com/all-councilmembers-not-equal/ and http://joyceclarkunfiltered.com/please-delete-this-email-after-you-read-it/ entries to Mayor Weiers? This could be very ugly for IA. His email address is listed on the web page http://www.glendaleaz.com/mayor/contact.cfm I didn't quote it directly in the post to save it being scraped by spambots.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Coyotes will look elsewhere if they lose lawsuit.....

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-will-eye-other-cities-if-team-loses-lawsuit-1.310073

Interesting note regarding Barroway

I have a question here...

Does the league have a say in where this franchise could end up, or is the relocation fee number their only true power? I know usually the BoG has to approve a sale, but with this special context where ...

1) the actual owners could declare bankrupt because they lose a 15MM/year subsidy on an already extremely risky investment
2) the NHL loaned money to the group (might not want to lose it)
3) the league already knows (and I guess appreciates) most groups interested

Could IA simply go for the highest bid without taking location into account?

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Oh, and is it possible the "bad actors" refer to the numerous violations of Open Meeting Law to influence the councilors who voted in favor of the agreement? (above)
Let's not forget the over due audit that still hasn't been release.

Also the little spat between auditors over shenanigans with the arena audit that made the assistant auditor resign. Is the lead auditor simply trying to CYA "from being thrown under the bus" or does IA a friend in the auditors office?
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2015/06/01/glendale-staffer-resigns-arena-audit/28289641/

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
COYOTES STATEMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, June 16, 2015

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - The Arizona Coyotes issued the following statement today:

"We expect the City of Glendale to honor its contractual commitments. We intend to continue to honor ours."

Coyotes keep the media blitz going....

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
The version I'm more familiar with is...
  • if the law is on your side, pound on the law
  • if the facts are on your side, pound on the facts
  • if neither the law nor the facts are on your side, then pound on the table

That's what I was told during my 1st year moot court when the judge complimented me on pounding the podium (I didn't even realize I was doing it).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What is the timeline of the lawsuit? I can't imagine the NHL wants this hanging over the draft and free agency, but time was already short.

According to this ... http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-will-eye-other-cities-if-team-loses-lawsuit-1.310073 ... if proceeding after the 29th of June Discover would unfold late July/August followed by a Trial at some point thereafter, as in during the 2015/16 season.

That Westhead article makes it sounds like IA has no intention of re negotiating.

I dont believe they do MNN. I suppose its possible with Barroway stepping back these 2 new guys come in trying to play Good Cop & "all a misunderstanding" reaching out to the City but I have my doubts. The NHL could well step from behind the curtain & start throwing Haymakers. Not sure how their gunna play it quite yet. Things in the IA/NHL Dressing Room appear to be in a state of flux.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
From Mr. Morgan

Here is Glendale's full statement following today's executive session of the City Council: The Glendale City Council held an Executive Session meeting this afternoon to discuss the city's management agreement with the Arizona Coyotes. Following the meeting, Glendale Interim Assistant City Manager Tom Duensing said: "Let's be clear. This isn't about hockey. We want the Arizona Coyotes in Glendale and we want them to succeed. As we've consistently indicated to the team, we are prepared to negotiate a mutually beneficial approach to address concerns."

Duensing went on to say, "This issue is about the law and the process and to ensure the law is followed. We have an obligation to the law and to the citizens first. We continue to believe in the strength of our case which is rooted in facts. Over time, those facts will come out. But they'll only come out in the appropriate venue, and that's a court of law.

"Please know, we have not and will not litigate this case in the media," Duensing said.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Only one home preseason game for the Coyotes this fall. Definitely in response to what has unfolded this past week.

Most likely no correlation to what has unfolded, they've had only one in the past. Nobody goes to preseason, depressing, but true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
(per some posts from earlier today with the NHL source speaking to TSN)
Hmmm. They sound like IceArizona intends to relocate the team themselves if the court case doesn't go their way, not sell it to someone who will relocate. That also suggests they might not be pursuing the Phoenix avenue as much as it seemed (as there would be no relocation fee... unless they are as silly as Glendale was with wanting to pay for parking rights they owned already).

And if discovery comes after 6/29, does it seem like the NHL may not want any undesirable revelations to emerge and might basically pre-empt IceArizona and give them orders to withdraw the lawsuit and pursue plan B?

COYOTES STATEMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, June 16, 2015

GLENDALE, ARIZONA - The Arizona Coyotes issued the following statement today:

"We expect the City of Glendale to honor its contractual commitments. We intend to continue to honor ours."

Coyotes keep the media blitz going....

Wait, is this the same Coyotes organization that shirked on paying some company they contracted, I think for PR?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
The yotes position is that they will not negotiate a new agreement and will win in court.
the CoG's position is that they're willing to negotiate a new agreement and will win in court.
Both want the coyotes to stay in glendale, but with the deal that is most favorable to them.

looks like this will be messy, and drag on for a while. The critical question to me is weather the AMF has to be paid while this is litigated. If not, the coyotes could be forced to the table, at least for a temporary 1-year agreement, or they could be forced to pick up and leave - if they even can at this point in time.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Not sure this has been posted, but ...

Fact Check: Coyotes CEO mostly wrong on arena cost

For 600,000 people to generate $2.5 million in sales taxes, each person would have to produce an average of $4.17 in sales tax. Glendale's retail sales-tax rate is 2.9 percent, meaning each person would have to spend $143.68 on retail items at Westgate. That number falls to $106.84 if those customers spend money only at restaurants and bars, where the local sales tax is 3.9 percent.

That figure assumes each person visiting Westgate is a unique paying customer. It does not account for non-paying adults, children or repeat attendees who visit Westgate. The more non-paying customers, the more money paying customers would have to spend to generate $2.5 million in sales tax.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/fact-check/2015/06/16/fact-check-leblanc-arizona-coyotes/28832885/

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Didn't Sherwood say that it would be the opposite? That council was going to reverse their decision? Sounds like a certain councillor has been sidelined, being fed disinformation....

It was the Coyotes, but I get the impression they got their information from Sherwood.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Follow-up article: Glendale won't back down on killing Coyotes arena deal

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...oyotes-arena-deal-executive-session/28820491/

Didn't Sherwood say that it would be the opposite? That council was going to reverse their decision? Sounds like a certain councillor has been sidelined, being fed disinformation....

It was the Coyotes, but I get the impression they got their information from Sherwood.

Again, I would love this thing to go to discovery. Can you imagine Sherwood being exposed for all the 'less-than-totally-straight-forward' dealings he was involved with in the last negotiation? It would be a glorious day of truth winning over deception.

Of course, Glendale as a city would look very foolish, or at least the prior council. But the current council, attorney, and manager seem to want to shoot straight. Finally.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Coyotes will look elsewhere if they lose lawsuit.....

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-will-eye-other-cities-if-team-loses-lawsuit-1.310073

Interesting note regarding Barroway

Also interesting that this source is dismissing a return downtown.
Either way, an NHL source dismissed the possibility that the Coyotes might return to the U.S. Airways Center this year.

"There's just not enough time, the schedule is out in a week, and the schedule for the arena is already booked up with NBA and arena football, it can't work," the source said

Translation: More money to be made via relocation than being a secondary tenant with limited revenue streams

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Again, I would love this thing to go to discovery. Can you imagine Sherwood being exposed for all the 'less-than-totally-straight-forward' dealings he was involved with in the last negotiation? It would be a glorious day of truth winning over deception.

Of course, Glendale as a city would look very foolish, or at least the prior council. But the current council, attorney, and manager seem to want to shoot straight. Finally.

It sure looks like the disinformation campaign has come to an end. Well, not for LeBlanc and Sherwood but for the staff and majority of council. I want to see if the Defendants bring in an Article 9 Section 7 claim that would conceivably allow them to discover the FIG terms as well as whatever the successor mechanism is. It would be interesting to hear argument about the public purpose of routing $15MM from the city to a lender for the express purpose of paying the team owners debt on asset acquisition. Of course, the Plaintiff would point out that they've already cured the FIG situation. If it would please the court, let's have discovery on exactly what the cure is.

I doubt they'll get there but no harm in hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad