Phoenix CI: TeA.R.S. for FeA.R.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I found the Nurse's arguments to be pretty pointless. Olberman, though, is paid to make coherent points and he completley failed to do so. That's more embarassing. I wouldn't blame Olberman for being a terrible nurse any more than I blame Rhonda for being a poor orator. But his segment was unfunny, unclear, and painfully delivered. Maybe he should look into nursing school. He's obviously not well suited for his current profession. Speaking of suits, a man dressed as a cartoon version of a 1970s used car salesman is in no position to be judging anyone else for their apparel choices.

His attack on the woman wasn't the best. His argument about governments subsidizing sports venues is correct.

Do Economists Reach a Conclusion on Subsidies for Sports Franchises, Stadiums, and Mega-Events?

GF

Nov 4, 2012

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Ding! Ding!

Sounds like CoG caved in.

No way were the Coyotes going to die. This close-door meeting will end up in a resolution and BAM! the Coyotes are saved once again. Until next time...

CoG caved?

this is what they wanted all along.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
CoG caved?

Yeah, this is probably an offer of a lower AMF, giving the Coyotes a chance to settle privately or at least begin renegotiations. But if the Coyotes think they can win on the court path or COG takes a hardline on the maximum AMF they're willing to give, this will go nowhere.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
Ding! Ding!

Sounds like CoG caved in.

No way were the Coyotes going to die. This close-door meeting will end up in a resolution and BAM! the Coyotes are saved once again. Until next time...

CoG caving? No this is the Coyotes caving CoG wanted to negotiate Coyotes wouldn't now that the CoG has basically kicked them out of the arena the Coyotes caved. We will see what happens but I doubt this is anywhere close to being over.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
CoG caving? No this is the Coyotes caving CoG wanted to negotiate Coyotes wouldn't now that the CoG has basically kicked them out of the arena the Coyotes caved. We will see what happens but I doubt this is anywhere close to being over.

Who says Coyotes is caving? Team has said they don't want to negotiate.

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
I don't know if what I'm about to say has been said before. It may have. Nevertheless, there's only one set of victims in all of this: the fans.

Granted, some of the people in here are fans with a vested interest in Glendale's failure, but for most of us, the villains are many. There's the sitting city council way back in 1999 that thought a western suburb of Phoenix could be a sporting Mecca from nothing. There's Steve Ellman. There's a naive city council that sat from 2009-2012 that just wanted the dream to stay alive. There's the line of carpetbaggers trotted out to Glendale, from LeBlanc the first, to Hulsizer, to Jamieson, to Zombie LeBlanc, and now Barroway, whose vision of the fan base and taxpayers was that of a mobile revenue source. And of course, there's Gary, whose hubris couldn't let him lose a market, not because he believed in it, but because statistics and perception. The next man to own the Coyotes with the intent to run it on his own NS the right way will be the first.

Coyotes fans, you so deserved better. So did Thrashers fans. And Whalers fans. And Nordiques fans. And Jets fans. And Flames fans. Maybe someday, that'll be the priority instead of owners that want to pay nothing but get everything.

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-brings-ncaa-competition-to-arizona/71097928/

"In its first season as an NCAA Division I hockey team, Arizona State will host the Desert Hockey Classic, the only NCAA games in Arizona until the following season.

The tournament, which does not yet have a location, will feature Yale, Michigan Tech and Connecticut during the weekend of Jan. 8, 2016".

Arizona has not hosted NCAA Division I hockey games since 1985 when Northern Arizona had a team".

CT article:
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-uconn-yale-hockey-0612-20150611-story.html

"The Huskies and Bulldogs are part of the four-team field at a tournament hosted by Arizona State at Gila River Arena in Glendale, Ariz. UConn opens against Michigan Tech on Jan. 8, a Friday. Yale opens against Arizona State the same day. The consolation game and championship game are Jan. 10".

I'm not from AZ, so please help me out and I know this isn't the NHL, but

IF the coyotes do get kicked out, could they even have this tournament? Is there any other place they could play for NCAA hockey? If the the yotes get booted, will GRA get rid of hockey arena equipment and no more ICE? Does ASU have a regular hockey rink they'll use for their future home games?

Thanks

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well since now the Coyotes are having a meeting with CoG to talk about negotiations, that sounds like caving to me.

And what if COG demands that coyotes take out their out clause? Then its going to be a very very short meeting.

If coyotes cave to every demand COG wants then we'll probably see coyotes filing for another bankruptcy in the near future.

BeardedCanuck

Oct 13, 2012
And what if COG demands that coyotes take out their out clause? Then its going to be a very very short meeting.

If coyotes cave to every demand COG wants then we'll probably see coyotes filing for another bankruptcy in the near future.

That's why in my original post replying to someone saying the CoG was caving is that this is far from over.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
CoG caved?

Well, I predict an agreement between IA and CoG. The NHL has nowhere to go. They'll settle on an okayish deal just to buy some more time.

No way is CoG gets out of this with a great deal ie on par with the market AMF and IA giving up the out-close. Kicking the can one year down the road is what Bettman/IA will look for.

I just can't see CoG standing firm and getting a good deal. I can't see Bettman moving the team anywhere this late in the season. The NHL will foot the bill for 2015-16 and move to LV first chance they get. This is how I see it ends.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
At most this is probably just a 1 year lease deal to cover 15-16 is what the meeting is going on in Tuesday in case the team loses in the lawsuit.
Well, I predict an agreement between IA and CoG. The NHL has nowhere to go. They'll settle on an okayish deal just to buy some more time.

No way is CoG gets out of this with a great deal ie on par with the market AMF and IA giving up the out-close. Kicking the can one year down the road is what Bettman/IA will look for.

I just can't see CoG standing firm and getting a good deal. I can't see Bettman moving the team anywhere this late in the season. The NHL will foot the bill for 2015-16 and move to LV first chance they get. This is how I see it ends.

Vegas will get a team via expansion.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
When talking about relocation options you also have to consider if Barroway would still own the team. Likely yes since he tried to buy several other teams before. As such they aren't probably going to screw over the group interested in a Vegas team by moving a team there under their nose.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW

Good deal, no. Wiers and the others who initiated this action arnt idiots, they're just looking for something better than the status quo. Political and financial victory for them, but keeping the yotes in Glendale, at least for the next few years.

They finally found some leverage, and so far it looks like they're doing a solid job using it.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
Well, I predict an agreement between IA and CoG. The NHL has nowhere to go. (...)

Wrong: Quebec City's arena's almost completed. And I dont buy this 14-16 alignement issue thing from Bettman since realignment is scheduled to be reevaluated after next season.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No one is caving. Adversarial parties meet and confer regularly. They have a common ground to start from: neither side wants to litigate this matter.

I agree entirely. This is not "caving" -- it's merely common sense.

Glendale has the Coyotes' attention now and they're both going to see if they can avoid disaster: neither of them should really want to litigate (even though litigation might be the NHL's second-favourite sport).

They might not reach a deal, but it sure as heck is worth trying.

I would give Glendale the upper hand in this, but I don't think it's even possible to form an opinion on the probable result of any litigation. The best result for both parties is to negotiate something that keeps them both out of court.

If they do end up in court, it's because one or both of them are acting stupid. I hope that doesn't happen.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I don't see how an agreement can be reached. The Coyotes need every red cent they can get their hands on just to keep the lights on.

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm gonna be the Arizonan that calls Coyotes ownership a bunch of frauds and stooges.

I really don't like how Leblanc doesn't like to share how much money his team has lost money wise when he's asked. And let's make this clear, he knows that answer the question. Anything that isn't a figure isn't the right answer and should be scrutinized. Also, I wish Barroway we knew more about Barroway, he seems like shady character to me. There needs to be a legit explanation as to why he's stepping back down to minority owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese