Phoenix CI: TeA.R.S. for FeA.R.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Would this be days, weeks, months???

I am not sure Leblanc will be able to pronounce " Interlocutory injunction". He is having problems making himself clear these days.

Okay, so the request for the temporary restraining order is being made today. A decision on that one way or another would have to be made fairly quickly, likely within a few days. If it stretches out to weeks then the Coyotes are done - they need to know where they are going to play next season right away.

The TRO then remains in place until there has been a final hearing. That likely takes at least a year to get to.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
I don't see the Coyotes playing in Phoenix.

The sole reason this team didn't leave long ago was the CoG giving away huge amounts of money.

Even free rent in Phoenix is not even close to what they've had in Glendale.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If the City owns the arena, the Yotes dont have to pay rent to the Suns. In fact, the City could effectively waive rent on the team as an enticement to get them to move their short term. Now there's no rent, they dont have to run an arena, and theyre better situated near the fanbase. Not sure that makes up for the shortfall, but its a start.

Stanton said on local radio that they are in negotiations with the Coyotes, and that the Suns are very open to the Coyotes joining in on a new arena.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Thinking about this, the Coyotes probably have a strong case to make for an interlocutory injunction. The overall case is going to take months before it comes to a final hearing. But the Coyotes would need to know very soon whether or not they can continue to play at Gila River.

But here's where it might get tricky. Part of what the Coyotes would want is for Glendale to pay them next year's $15 mil. However Glendale would want some assurance that if the ultimate hearing goes in Glendale's favour, that the Coyotes would have the ability to pay back the $15 million. Given their shakey finances, that might be more challenging...

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
So there'll be one of two things soon:

1. The injunction is given: This is kinda good for the Yotes, they'll have somewhere to play.... for a while. But if the courts decide the City is correct (and thus cancels the injunction)..... say at 4:55 PM someday in May, the very same day Game 6 of a series Between the Yotes and.... say the LA Kings, is about to be played in Glendale at 7PM..... Well.... OUPS! I guess the Coyotes (and the NHL) will be the laughing stock of the sports world for the next few years!

2. The injunction isn't given: Well, for the Yotes, it's either you cut a new deal with the City, or you find some other place to play in the region, or you relocate!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Thinking about this, the Coyotes probably have a strong case to make for an interlocutory injunction. The overall case is going to take months before it comes to a final hearing. But the Coyotes would need to know very soon whether or not they can continue to play at Gila River.

But here's where it might get tricky. Part of what the Coyotes would want is for Glendale to pay them next year's $15 mil. However Glendale would want some assurance that if the ultimate hearing goes in Glendale's favour, that the Coyotes would have the ability to pay back the $15 million. Given their shakey finances, that might be more challenging...

I dont think that'll be decided today or within a few days YJ, huh? Even if there was any goodwill remaining.... after the scorched earth media blitzkrieg by Leblanc & Bettman? Wouldnt the Attorneys for the City be pretty adamant that no, no way does that get paid or guaranteed to paid over the next 12mnths. Agreements voided. They pay that, contrary to, complete opposite of "void".

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
I don't see the Coyotes playing in Phoenix.

The sole reason this team didn't leave long ago was the CoG giving away huge amounts of money.

Even free rent in Phoenix is not even close to what they've had in Glendale.

+1

IA will do the good PR move and say they are interested, but without the $15M yearly subsidy, there's no way the Coyotes survive financially, even with a growth due to the team being in Phoenix. It's not like the owners have deep pockets either, they had a financial model that they thought was on the line. It's mostly debt now. They cannot afford to lose an extra 15M/year for a couple years. It'll work with the current lease (or anything comparable) or it simply won't work.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I dont think that'll be decided today or within a few days YJ, huh? Even if there was any goodwill remaining.... after the scorched earth media blitzkrieg by Leblanc & Bettman? Wouldnt the Attorneys for the City be pretty adamant that no, no way does that get paid or guaranteed to paid over the next 12mnths. Agreements voided. They pay that, contrary to, complete opposite of "void".

On an interim basis I would think it is decided.

As I said though, the Coyotes would need to demonstrate they have sufficient assets to pay that money back if the final hearing goes against them.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Okay, so the request for the temporary restraining order is being made today. A decision on that one way or another would have to be made fairly quickly, likely within a few days. If it stretches out to weeks then the Coyotes are done - they need to know where they are going to play next season right away.

The TRO then remains in place until there has been a final hearing. That likely takes at least a year to get to.

The TRO without notice is usually granted same day. They're prob in pool with all other TRO applicants waiting to be called. Judge would have to be nutty not to grant the TRO and calendar hearing

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So there'll be one of two things soon:

1. The injunction is given: This is kinda good for the Yotes, they'll have somewhere to play.... for a while. But if the courts decide the City is correct (and thus cancels the injunction)..... say at 4:55 PM someday in May, the very same day Game 6 of a series Between the Yotes and.... say the LA Kings, is about to be played in Glendale at 7PM..... Well.... OUPS! I guess the Coyotes (and the NHL) will be the laughing stock of the sports world for the next few years!

WHile I don't think that particular nightmare scenario would happen, more generally you're right - even with a temporary restraining order there will be a huge cloud of uncertainty hanging over the Coyotes. That's going to be murder on ticket sales and advertising.

You do wonder if IA has really thought this through...

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The TRO without notice is usually granted same day. They're prob in pool with all other TRO applicants waiting to be called. Judge would have to be nutty not to grant the TRO and calendar hearing

This doesn't appear to be an ex parte application though - IA has been very vocal about making the application, and lawyers for Glendale are almost certainly present.

And obviously, this case is a little bit different that most TRO matters I've ever dealt with...

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
WHile I don't think that particular nightmare scenario would happen, more generally you're right - even with a temporary restraining order there will be a huge cloud of uncertainty hanging over the Coyotes. That's going to be murder on ticket sales and advertising.

You do wonder if IA has really thought this through...

I wonder the same.... CEO Leblanc appears to be running rather than strutting around like a chicken minus its head the past few days.

SunDancer

Jan 4, 2015
on the Range
How are the Coyotes supposed to be viable in a situation where they pay rent when they're barely viable now running their own arena with $15 million being kicked their way each season?

Not to mention that if they are "homeless," they'll have absolutely zero leverage negotiating anything with their new land lords.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Here's another note gleaned from this that I wasnt aware of:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/12/back-downtown-phoenix-mayor-reaches-out-to-coyotes/

If the City owns the arena, the Yotes dont have to pay rent to the Suns. In fact, the City could effectively waive rent on the team as an enticement to get them to move their short term. Now there's no rent, they dont have to run an arena, and theyre better situated near the fanbase. Not sure that makes up for the shortfall, but its a start.

Stanton said on local radio that they are in negotiations with the Coyotes, and that the Suns are very open to the Coyotes joining in on a new arena.

That's a good first step for keeping the Coyotes in the valley. I don't think there was much chance of the Suns initially saying no to the mayor, particularly if they think they may need him as an ally to get an arena in the future, with or without the Coyotes. Still, it brings hope to the fanbase, something it needs.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
This doesn't appear to be an ex parte application though - IA has been very vocal about making the application, and lawyers for Glendale are almost certainly present.

And obviously, this case is a little bit different that most TRO matters I've ever dealt with...

Haven't seen any docs. Just refreshing BOH when possible - It seems more in spirit of mega-thread to just wildly guess instead of using legit references :handclap:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Craig Morgan heavily implying the NHL's expansion desires are no secret behind the scenes, which works in favor of the Coyotes staying in AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad