Post-Game Talk: Phoenix 3, Penguins 1. One? ONE? ONE *** **** GOAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkin112*

Took this picture from emptynetters blog:

BjTrMZO.jpg

Game against Phoenix Nov. 6, 2010

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Haven't liked what I've seen from 87 and 14 lately, especially Sid. He looks disinterested and disengaged on more shifts than not. Maybe they're trying to save up a bit for the Olympics. Fatigue? Slump? Tired from carrying the team when it was half Baby Pens?

I dunno, but I hope these guys come back from Sochi reinvigorated to get into playoff form down the stretch.

Tired of he's winger situation? About how much bylsma/shero cares about that etc..

PGHSports

Feb 24, 2007
Malkin melted? I agree he should have done way better than he did in the Boston series, but it didn't help that he had Iginla on his LW. If Malkin has a real LW on his line in that series, maybe it makes a difference.

It also didn't help he was totally taken off his game, was fighting on the PP, and took needless penalties.

I said it before a good coach going against the Pens will have his team smother Crosby and play very physical against Neal and Malkin. Those two hate getting hit.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Bødker didn't even have that great of a game and I still want him on the Pens so badly. Would be such a great Dupuis replacement. Does so many small things well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I enjoy games in which Sid is useless and Bylsma is thoroughly out coached.

One happens rarely, the other happens far too often.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bødker didn't even have that great of a game and I still want him on the Pens so badly. Would be such a great Dupuis replacement. Does so many small things well.

I've always wanted him on the Pens, kid has so much speed and untapped potential, I think he can be a better player than he has shown to be in Phoenix.

If Phoenix ever showed interest in Sutter, I'd do that in a heart beat, see ya later Sutter, don't pack, we'll fed-ex your stuff.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It also didn't help he was totally taken off his game, was fighting on the PP, and took needless penalties.

I said it before a good coach going against the Pens will have his team smother Crosby and play very physical against Neal and Malkin. Those two hate getting hit.

Hello Madden!
Lets just agree that our best forward in the series was the biggest problem. And let's dig this topic up after a game where 71 took an unsportsmanlike late in a game where he was by far our best player. It makes tremendous sense. Raa ra rah!

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Oh no. I'm not picking on Gibbons. Gibbons has given more than I reasonably could have expected.

Point was that part of Sid and 14s late drop in production is attributable to Dupuis not being there. Gibbons can only do what he can do. But it's also not lost on me that Sid is obviously banking **** for Sochi.

Alas, no.

Sid's line isn't going because Sid isn't going, just like Geno's line wasn't going earlier in the season because Geno wasn't going. Christ are people new here? Their lines will ALWAYS depend on how THEY are playing.

Sid's production suffering because Dupuis is gone is one of the funniest things I've heard. Gibbons made a play to a pinching Martin in the second period that should have been a goal. He also made about about 2 or 3 other type plays I have never seen Dupuis make. Gibbons is actually faster than Dupuis, and since that's pretty much the only use Dupuis has...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Is it wrong that I'd rather have Letestu than Sutter atm? I'm 100% sure my view is skewed by Sutter sucking recently, and Letestu being far removed from my memory, but still.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Gibbons has done some nice things with Sid, but hes had 2 open nets that he missed in the last 3 games, and hes had 2 awful turnovers in the last 3 games(buffalo phoenix) that led to a goal and a great scoring chance.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Gibbons has done some nice things with Sid, but hes had 2 open nets that he missed in the last 3 games, and hes had 2 awful turnovers in the last 3 games(buffalo phoenix) that led to a goal and a great scoring chance.

He had a good 2nd period yesterday, forgettable 1st and 3rd.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I don't understand the thought process some people have with Gibbons vs Dupuis and Sid's line. Dupuis' play has never been that of a first liner. And he was playing like absolute ******* before he was injured. So exactly how has his absence hurt Crosby?

On the other hand, I think Gibbons has looked very good on Sid's wing. He is fast and way more creative than Dupuis has ever been. I see 4-5 good offensive opportunities from Gibbons per game. I kind of feel bad for him, though, because he's working his ass off to stick in the NHL and Crosby just hasn't been himself lately.

But let's blame Gibbons for Sid's line not clicking.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I don't understand the thought process some people have with Gibbons vs Dupuis and Sid's line. Dupuis' play has never been that of a first liner. And he was playing like absolute ******* before he was injured. So exactly how has his absence hurt Crosby?

On the other hand, I think Gibbons has looked very good on Sid's wing. He is fast and way more creative than Dupuis has ever been. I see 4-5 good offensive opportunities from Gibbons per game. I kind of feel bad for him, though, because he's working his ass off to stick in the NHL and Crosby just hasn't been himself lately.

I would say Crosby probably misses Dupuis of last year more than anything.

I don't blame Gibbons totally for the line not clicking. Kunitz hasn't played particularly well, and Crosby has looked average. Gibbons has shown great individual efforts. He has had some nice forechecking and passes. His speed is a great asset like in yesterday's powerplay

However, Gibbons also makes rookie mistakes. He forces passes that are not open and telegraphs his passes which has resulted in at least two goals. His off-puck positioning is out-of-sync with the rest of his line and on occassion the defensive pairing particularly transitioning out of the defensive and neutral zones and cycling in the offensive zone. He has missed some wide open shots. His defensive decision making and positioning is questionable.

I think people underrate how important positioning and predictability (knowing where a person is going to be and what they are going to do) particularly with Crosby's style. Gibbons doesn't have spectacular talent to make up the deficit and Crosby/Kunitz haven't been able to either, yet. In terms of options, I think Gibbons should be on the first line, and Crosby/Kunitz need to simplify their playing.

Gibbons isn't a bad player, and he works hard. But, how many teams in the NHL would Gibbons be starting or playing significant minutes on the first line?

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I think the bottom 6 accounted for a mighty 4 shots on goal. No offensive pressure, and frequently hemmed in on the D end way too often.

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
I thought Geno was going to pot a few more, Smith played well though. Finally got to see a full game of OEL, my god he is good. Kinda let the game slip away when Geno chirped the ref, but what can you do.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Gibbons can make all the rookie mistakes he wants as long as he doesn't make bad player mistakes like Dupuis.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

It's funny how people quickly forget how good Dupuis was just because of his play this year( less than half a season). 25 goals(59 pts) two years ago and 20 goals(38pts) in 40 games last year. I haven't even been a supporter of his, but it's comedy seeing people already think Gibbons is better . I've yet to see another winger put up the numbers Dupuis has with Sid. Sad thing is most fans didn't even look at Pascal as a loss when he went down for the year, just because they didn't like him on Sid's line. Well we better hope we land Crosby's winger in a trade because he will be missed.

It's also funny seeing people basically wanting us to go in the playoffs with about 5 rookies .

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd rather go into the playoffs with unknowns (Despres, Maatta, Gibbons, Megna, Bortuzzo) vs guys we know suck (Glass, Adams, Engelland, Orpik)

But going into the playoffs with no rookies has WORKED OUT SO WELL.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't understand... why DON'T we want rookies in the playoffs? How many times have you seen rookies step up and play big time parts? Guys that make huge names for themselves and become playoff performers.

That pisses me off when people say rookies don't deserve the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad