Value of: Phillip Danault to Winnipeg

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Habs can't give up two centres (if you call Domi a centre) in one trade for a winger IMO. Not even talking values at this point.

True but Connor is a 35+ goal scorer. If Habs go all in on the future down the middle, it's far easier to get a 3C than it is a 35+ goal scorer. Connor instantly fixes a lot of Montreal's struggles (PP, low shooting/scoring percentage, top 6 winger gap).

A month ago I would have said no way to trading Danault. Now, I would still say no to most trades but 35+ goal scorers are too tantalizing to pass on.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
True but Connor is a 35+ goal scorer. If Habs go all in on the future down the middle, it's far easier to get a 3C than it is a 35+ goal scorer. Connor instantly fixes a lot of Montreal's struggles (PP, low shooting/scoring percentage, top 6 winger gap).

A month ago I would have said no way to trading Danault. Now, I would still say no to most trades but 35+ goal scorers are too tantalizing to pass on.

Fair enough. I still wouldn't do it as a Jets fan, b/c of Danault contract status. Good chance it would be only Domi after next year as a return after Danault bolts to UFA and that would be a bad trade for the Jets. Nothing even is sure thing about Domi signing anything more then a bridge to get to UFA (if you believe the reports by the scout & Domi feelings on weather in Canada), in a flat cap period team friendly contracts are too valuable IMO. Too much risk with both guys contracts for me to do it.......albeit I like both guys. No offense I just don't see a fit that I would be comfortable with regarding these three guys.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
It’s hard to say what you should get for Danault, but one of kotka or Suzuki need t turn into a boss two way centre before our selke nominee gets shipped out.

Suzuki is just about there, but I think Kotkaniemi has a ways to go as far as showing consistency. Even then, I'd want to keep Danault if the cap allows it.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
is this a joke? hope it is :(

Yes and no. Just because the Jets can negotiate doesn't mean it makes sense for the Jets because it's it's still a third 1st round pick for the Jets spent on short term fixes for the 2C position. They shouldn't spend any more than that without any assurances that Danault will sign long term.

Obviously it doesn't work for Montreal and thus any such proposal doesn't work. Montreal can keep him or trade him for better value and the Jets can use their 1st/9th/10th overall pick on a long term solution, not yet another short term one.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

If one of (or both) Suzuki and Kotkaniemi develops into a genuine #1 center then yes, you don't necessarily need a player of Danault's calibre (and future salary) as your #3. Problem is, what if they don't? Instead of a strong center line build on depth you then go back to square one of not having a true #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad