Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Lol the top line still sucked ass and Suzuki played worse when he got placed with them(not Suzukis fault). The second Danault went to another line, his line was incredible.
Yeah it is true. Tatar and gally have sucked so far. And if they continue to suck, this series against flyers is over real quick.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yes because clearly Armia deserved to have top 6 minutes. Im sorry. but you are right since he got TOI of a t op 6 means hes top 6 right
Where did I say anything about who deserves what? You said Julien does not consider Danault a top 6 player. I said he does, which is plainly clear from the minutes he's giving him.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I always though Danault was an excellent skater with smart hockey sense , he just doesn't have the same gear for his offensive skill and that's fine.
The comparisons to Bergeron at one point were too much for me , Bergeron even early in his career was very good offensively while coming together on the defensive side (but he was never weak in this category just went from very good to elite).

That being said Danault should be on this team for a long time just as long as he doesn't impede on the development of Suzuki/KK (due to coach preference).
Suzuki is a cloaer comparable to Bergeron than Danault ever was.

dak000

Jan 16, 2017
You guys notice how Danault with Byron and Lehkonen were able to shut down Crosby quite easily, while Tatar and Gallagher with Suzuki were treading water? Maybe it's Danault who made that line go.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
You guys notice how Danault with Byron and Lehkonen were able to shut down Crosby quite easily, while Tatar and Gallagher with Suzuki were treading water? Maybe it's Danault who made that line go.

Danaults playing great sure

But Tatar and Gallagher are playing like absolute garbage right now too

And to boot, Lehky and Byron are playing tremendously, adding danault to that line has created a full fledged shutdown line with blazing speed, they've been a force for 2 games now

Reactions: angusyoung

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Danaults playing great sure

But Tatar and Gallagher are playing like absolute garbage right now too

And to boot, Lehky and Byron are playing tremendously, adding danault to that line has created a full fledged shutdown line with blazing speed, they've been a force for 2 games now
I think we're being to hard on Gallagher and Tatar. Gallagher's obviously not well, but he's still getting chances. Tatar hit a post on a deflection in game 1, made a beautiful pass to set up Gallagher on a breakaway in game 4 and made some smart plays in transition. They're not playing great, but not awful either. Plus they've had their hands full with Crosby.
Danault has gotten progressively better as the series went on and was excellent last game.
I think it's mainly a question of shaking off the rust.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He was able to successfully do part of the job yes but a top center also needs to be a setup man for his wingers, he needs to be able to help them produce does he not?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
In game circumstances dictates time on ice much more than pre-determined roles. If you're winning and have a comfortable lead, the third and fourth lines will play more. If there are lots of penalties, that will also have an effect. Danault is a third line shut down guy. There's nothing about him that says offensive threat. Suzuki and KK belong in the 1 and 2 spots.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tatar and Gally were definitely trash vs Pitts. Useless as it gets

This is the problem in Montreal... Tatar and Gallagher are 2nd tier offensive talent and when they don't put up points... A fan like you says "Useless as it gets". Come on man. Ease off on that attack. They are not stars like Malkin.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He should be used the way Eller was. Give him tough defensive assignments. Let others do the scoring. We'd be much better off that way.

Yup exactly. Use him as a human stop sign for opposing players instead of trying to match blow by blow against players he cant contend with. Such a bad idea overall. Matching a third liner against top players in the league and expecting him to come out on top? Come on.

Ive been asking for this for so long, im still scared he reverts back to the old lines.

Reactions: Mister Ppil and 417

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Danault have success (and he does) by doing plombery instead of pure offensive hockey à la great hockey players. This kind of secondary skilled talent made some difference in the past, especially in play offs. I'm talking about being great in the corners, in the face offs, in cutting passes lines. Just do that, retake puck possession and fill it to offensive skaters who will have a chance to score. Back them if they create a turnover. You get it? Any contender team need players like that. Too many examples.

I do remember when we lost against the Flyers a decade ago, we were beaten by a player just pushing the puck forward and he got lucly in rebounds. He killed us in play offs that round. His play was total opposite of Crosby. His name was Umberger. So let Danault be our 'Umberger'.

There is a lesson how to pronounce his name there is a clip here.
Actor Steve Martin says his name a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad