Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There's taking care and then there's taking care. He's looking for the best care possible.

Life comes at you fast in the business of hockey. I have no problem with Danault looking out for Danault. Vanek cost himself millions in a matter of months by refusing to sign with NYI and coming to play for us.

That said our interests just don't align. He can return some good assets.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There's taking care and then there's taking care. He's looking for the best care possible.

I don't think Danault's 'corrupt' but yeah I mean he's going to be earning very likely in the 10(s) of millions of dollars in the next 4-6 years. Care just is not a question anymore. When 10s of millions are the baseline a difference of a million or two a season, we're not talking about 'care'. Hopefully his family would've been taken care of by now and this is all just taking it up a notch.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't think Danault's 'corrupt' but yeah I mean he's going to be earning very likely in the 10(s) of millions of dollars in the next 4-6 years. Care just is not a question anymore. When 10s of millions are the baseline a difference of a million or two a season, we're not talking about 'care'. Hopefully his family would've been taken care of by now and this is all just taking it up a notch.
I hope you realize whatever figure will be announced that he earns, you need to halve it. With agent and taxes, these guys do not make the money everyone thinks they're making. It's more than you and me for sure but it's not puck you money.

Reactions: DAChampion

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
In a free market it’s about maximizing gain...nothing wrong with that.
At the consequences of weakening your team? That's more selfishness imo, it's not like he's a 70 pts player. He says he wants to keep getting better offensively, but at his age, how much better can he get? At 27, you don't pay for potential, he should be in his prime right now.

Reactions: DAChampion

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I really thought he would be someone who would want to stick with the team, accept a “lesser” role as a premium 3C to step into the top-6 due to injuries and have a chance to help us solidify a strong centre group to move forward as we improve our spot and try to chase a cup eventually. That interview is extremely disappointing that he’s already sulking and pouting about a lesser role.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
At the consequences of weakening your team? That's more selfishness imo, it's not like he's a 70 pts player. He says he wants to keep getting better offensively, but at his age, how much better can he get? At 27, you don't pay for potential, he should be in his prime right now.
Danault is at his peak offensively at ES. The only way he gets to 70 pts is if he starts playing on the PP

Reactions: FLHabs

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we do trade Danault for picks/prospects, it wont hurt us that bad.
Domi will be our 3rd center. Poehling could also be our 3rd line center in a year or 2

Reactions: Gravity

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

His next contract will be the most important one he signs in his life. It's smart to be a little selfish at this point in his career.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzy is our #1C going into next year and the team should let Danault and KK battle it out to see who's #2C. A healthy competition is great and they can figure it out as the year goes on.

Is it healthy for the team to have a veteran sulking if he's the loser of the battle?

Is it healthy for KK's development to have him playing with Lehkonen and Byron?

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Real gamers flair the opportunity and give it their best shot to prove they're worth their money.
Losers whine and cry about not being put in the good role.

I'm incredibly disappointed by these comments. As for those who only speak English and doubt the translation; it's true. He went as far as whining about how his role in the playoffs was strictly defensive and how it would affect his future with the Montreal Canadiens if we kept using him in that role.

For the record, I was a fan of the player before this interview. But this is just bullshit. Between Domi and Danault, the attitude of those players is incredibly telling. Those guys are not winners. And we should not bother keeping on with them.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I never expected such comments from him. What a selfish prick. Even Domi, who is more talented offensively and played on the 4th line to start the playoff did not complain or threaten the team...

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
When you're a multi-millionare the difference of care between making 5mil per year, and 7mil per year is pretty much all luxuries imo, but I'm not a millionare so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about lol

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Don't want any part of a true 1C price tag on Danault long term. To me the Pageau deal is the comparable but that might not be something he's willing to take anymore given he wants to be paid as a top 6C and play that role. Idk I certainly don't think the Habs should do that and I think the Pageau deal is the upper limit of what I'd do but I still don't know how Bergevin could look him in the eye and say he deserves less money than Drouin when he's a monstrously better player.

It's a pretty tough negotiating position to tell the guy you've been gassing up as the underrated 1C on one of the best liens in hockey for 2 years that now he's just a rich man's Lars Eller and should be happy to be a defensive 3C. Even the Pageau deal is kinda hard to argue for when Pageau was always behind Turris/Duchene in Ottawa and then was traded to another team as the obvious platoon 2/3C with Nelson since Barzal is the clear unquestioned 1C while Danault has been gassed up as the 1C for the Habs for 3 years now.

Don't really know what Columbus has but they seem like an obvious fit of a team with a gaping hole at 2C behind Dubois and Torts would cream about Danault's game non-stop if he had him. Think it probably makes the most sense to make the trade now rather than go into this year and have him walk or get less as a rental. Maybe you get lucky and find a mid season sign and trade like Pageau but I wouldn't count on that with the flat cap.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Just as it’s the players god given right to ask for more, it’s the orgs god given right to get the best bang for the buck..no?

Reactions: Runner77 and FLHabs

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Danault is at his peak offensively at ES. The only way he gets to 70 pts is if he starts playing on the PP

We are not giving him more PP, because his skill set is not made for it.
He won't camp in front of the net and battle with defenders in order to get a deflection and score a goal, à la Gallagher.
He can't be the shooter, because his shot is pretty weak.
He can't keep control the puck and create space with his skills, because he has stone hands.
His passing is above average at best.
How do you expect such a player to produce in the power play ? We don't need another leech, we need someone useful for our struggling PP.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It's good a guy wants to be a top line player. I expect that from him. Reality though is a different apple. He's not in position to demand much. His agent will find out not a team in the league considers him first line material. Cold shower time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad