Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So you're saying:

- this roster has the potential to generate more 5 on 5 scoring (currently #6 in the league) by means of using different line combinations
- Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line is in fact counterproductive, as it prevents us from being a more potent offensive team with the same roster

Is that what you're saying?
Exactly what Im saying.

Were also riding unsustainable success on the Domi line.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Exactly what Im saying.

Thanks for clarification. If nothing else, it's certainly a bold theory. Up until now I just thought you're dissatisfied, because you feel certain players are not getting the amount of points you imagine they'd get if our personnel was deployed differently.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly what Im saying.

We are not riding unsustainable success... our team is what it is when we are healthy. We have proven this all season long and there is less than 20% of the season left now.

Why do you still have doubts? Cause you thought we were for sure a bottom 5 team even when we are healthy heading into the year? It's 2019, not 2018 anymore. :laugh:

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thanks for clarification. If nothing else, it's certainly a bold theory. Up until now I just thought you're dissatisfied, because you feel certain players are not getting the amount of points you imagine they'd get if our personnel was deployed differently.
Its a bold theory that Gallagher would have more than 12 assists if he played with a better goalscorer?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Since when is Gallagher a playmaker?

Excluding this year Gallagher averaged 24.4 assists per 82 games played. This year he's on pace for 17.1. You don't have to be a playmaker to hit 20 assists, the fact that Gallagher isn't doing it this year is a cause for concern.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Excluding this year Gallagher averaged 24.4 assists per 82 games played. This year he's on pace for 17.1. You don't have to be a playmaker to hit 20 assists, the fact that Gallagher isn't doing it this year is a cause for concern.
We should be concerned about him hitting 30 goals this year once again ? Come back whenever you feel the need though...

Reactions: dralaf

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Gallagher will always be a "more goals than assists" guy, how do you not know this by now? he plays most of the time with bulldog tunnel vision, which is great for goals, not so great for vision, he's one of the worst passers on the team...

How any of this is Danaults fault? well im sure the haters will find a way. Doesnt look like Danault has any probs assisting on a lot of Gallaghers goals... all of a sudden people want the inverse of that?

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Gallagher will ALWAYS be a "more goals than assists" guy, how do you not know this by now? he plays most of the time with bulldog tunnel vision, which is great for goals, not so great for vision, he's one of the worst passers on the team...

How any of this is Danaults fault? well im sure the haters will find a way. Doesnt look like Danault has any probs assisting on a lot of Gallaghers goals... all of a sudden people want the inverse of that?

Except that's not true. Excluding this season he had 118 career goals and 121 career assists.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Gallagher will ALWAYS be a "more goals than assists" guy, how do you not know this by now? he plays most of the time with bulldog tunnel vision, which is great for goals, not so great for vision, he's one of the worst passers on the team...

Gallagher has 2 assists in 178 minutes on the powerplay this year (4th most minutes on the team), I am sure Danault will somehow get blamed for that too.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Except that's not true. Excluding this season he had 118 career goals and 121 career assists.

Sure, ill concede that stat

But if you take a closer look at them, the years he had more assists he SEVERELy under performed goal scoring wise, to his and our standards anyway.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
So you're saying:

- this roster has the potential to generate more 5 on 5 scoring (currently #6 in the league) by means of using different line combinations
- Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line is in fact counterproductive, as it prevents us from being a more potent offensive team with the same roster

Is that what you're saying?
:laugh:
Everyday .

Tatar, who put a total of 34 points last year and was benched during the playoffs, is our best winger . Don't you know ?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sure, ill concede that stat

But if you take a closer look at them, the years he had more assists he SEVERELy under performed goal scoring wise, to his and our standards anyway.

Which years do you think he severely under perform goal scoring wise?

Because most years he had right around the same number of goals as assists. Some years it was a few more goals and others it was a few more assists. For example his most productive year in terms of ppg was 2015-2016 where he was on pace for 29 goals and 32 assists. Do you consider that to be SEVERLY under performing?

I see one bad year, 2016-2017 where he was coming back from a severe injury.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Which years do you think he severely under perform goal scoring wise?

Because most years he had right around the same number of goals as assists. Some years it was a few more goals and others it was a few more assists. For example his most productive year in terms of ppg was 2015-2016 where he was on pace for 29 goals and 32 assists. Do you consider that to be SEVERLY under performing?

I see one bad year, 2016-2017 where he was coming back from a severe injury.

On pace for =/= Actual reality
Hypothetical production =/= Actual Production

Im not holding his injuries against him, but dont make me laugh with this goals and assists business when it comes to Gallagher lmao, you're practically arguing semantics. You're going to use injury skewed AND hypothetical statistics to try and PROVE that gallagher is somehow more of an assister than scorer? really?

Bottom line: Gallagher is more of a goal scorer than a helper on them. Danault is more of a assister on goals than actually scoring them. Just is what it is. Thats what they are.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's great but the offensive numbers are there! How can you guys can keep parroting the same thing while he actually brings offense is mindboggling to be honest!
Why do you keep using exclamation points??????????????

I don't remember saying that his offensive numbers were bad.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Would he have these numbers with Lekhonen and Byron though? Thats the big question, its sometbhing weve never seen from Danault, but weve seen it from Gally and Tatar without Danault. Its pretty evident hes being carried. That doesnt mean Danault is an Ahl player, its means hes just not a top 6 player.
As I said, I think he's better suited to the 3rd line. That's no insult though, Carbonneau was a 3rd liner and he matched up against all the great opposing centers.

Dannault chipping in some decent numbers while shutting down opposition is great. KK and Domi will be the scoring lines and Danno can log the harder shut down minutes. I think our center woes are finally solved.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
As I said, I think he's better suited to the 3rd line. That's no insult though, Carbonneau was a 3rd liner and he matched up against all the great opposing centers.

Dannault chipping in some decent numbers while shutting down opposition is great. KK and Domi will be the scoring lines and Danno can log the harder shut down minutes. I think our center woes are finally solved.

Why cant everyone view it like this?

Why does Danault get trashed on constantly for the situation he was put in... And he's doing reasonably well?

Only conclusion is people are brutally impatient, and legitimately think danault will take Kotkaniemis spot for the next 4 years, a la desharnais with galchenyuk

So people develop an agenda against Danault, who's done nothing but HELP this team, in a variety of ways. Where as with desharnais, Therrien clearly overvalued him, and DD actually HURT the team.

We'll deal with Poehling once he GETS here. But for now, there is no reason to believe Danault isnt a big part of this team for the foreseeable future.
And when the time comes, and it WILL. Kotkaniemi will be given top 6 center reigns, and Danault can GLADLY become the best 3rd line Center we've ever had

Reactions: dralaf

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Why cant everyone view it like this?

Why does Danault get trashed on constantly for the situation he was put in... And he's doing reasonably well?

Only conclusion is people are brutally impatient, and legitimately think danault will take Kotkaniemis spot for the next 4 years, a la desharnais with galchenyuk

So people develop an agenda against Danault, who's done nothing but HELP this team, in a variety of ways

We'll deal with Poehling once he GETS here. But for now, there is no reason to believe Danault isnt a big part of this team for the foreseeable future.
And when the time comes, and it WILL. Kotkaniemi will be given top 6 center reigns, and Danault can GLADLY become the best 3rd line Center we've ever had
I think you nailed it... it's the Desharnais factor.

People are legit paranoid that what happened to Chuck will happen to KK. And if MT were still here I'd say they had reason to be. Then again, Clode didn't help things last game by sitting KK... :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Cause for concern? Are the Leafs concerned that Matthews has more goals than assists as a NHL Center in his career? What's wrong with Matthews in terms of play making center? He has 30 assists and Danault has 34.

Gallagher is a shooter.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
3rd liners and 4th liners that play 1st line are pathetic, thank you, seems like we don't disagree on what Danault is, a 3rd liner.
I dont disagree with that. I disagree with the notion that you don't need talent to play well defensively in the NHL. I don't agree and I think you're an idiot if you think that 3rd liners and 4th liners are 'pathetic'. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I agree, but its not what were seeing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille