Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree, but its not what were seeing right now.
Right now KK is 18. He's being brought along slowly.

I think the more he develops the more we'll see him take a more prominent role. I expect that eventually Danno will be our 3rd line guy. In the meantime though it's fine for him to be used as he is. He's putting up decent numbers in a hard role.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Right now KK is 18. He's being brought along slowly.

I think the more he develops the more we'll see him take a more prominent role. I expect that eventually Danno will be our 3rd line guy. In the meantime though it's fine for him to be used as he is. He's putting up decent numbers in a hard role.
What about Domi whos played with Lekh, Shaw, Byron, Drouin, Armia, Agostino?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Its a bold theory that Gallagher would have more than 12 assists if he played with a better goalscorer?
No. I think it's bold to claim you can squeeze more even strenght offense out of this group. Gallagher's, or any other individual player's, assists are irrelevant. 5 on 5 offense is generated by 18 players and so far, with the current lines combinations, the Habs are doing a kickass job scoring goals.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What about Domi whos played with Lekh, Shaw, Byron, Drouin, Armia, Agostino?
I think Domi's clearly our best offensive center. For now he'll be our number one. If/when KK develops, Domi will become our number two. And that should be a pretty good one two punch.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Cause for concern? Are the Leafs concerned that Matthews has more goals than assists as a NHL Center in his career? What's wrong with Matthews in terms of play making center? He has 30 assists and Danault has 34.

Gallagher is a shooter.

The concern is that he's had a major drop in his assist totals.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
On pace for =/= Actual reality
Hypothetical production =/= Actual Production

Im not holding his injuries against him, but dont make me laugh with this goals and assists business when it comes to Gallagher lmao, you're practically arguing semantics. You're going to use injury skewed AND hypothetical statistics to try and PROVE that gallagher is somehow more of an assister than scorer? really?

Bottom line: Gallagher is more of a goal scorer than a helper on them. Danault is more of a assister on goals than actually scoring them. Just is what it is. Thats what they are.

So answer the question which years has he SEVERELY under-performed goal scoring wise? And then let's see how much you're not holding his injuries against him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Tatar-Domi-Gallagher
Drouin-Danault-Shaw

Or even...

Drouin-Domi-Gally
Tatar-Danault-Armia
Byron/Lekhonen-Kotkaniemi-Shaw

I don't think putting Drouin on Danaults wing is a bad idea, this leaves Domi or Kotkaniemi for him, but Danault could do exactly the same thing with Armia, who's a fantastic player and plays exactly the same way as Danault, but is a black hole of offense, too. He was fantastic with Lowry in Winnipeg.

Ultimately you'd use Byron on Danault's wing too, but just freeing up ONE of our better winger completely changes the make up of the team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
does it what we call trolling ?
Trust me, I'm probably a lot more Quebecer than you think I am.

I don't hate Danault, he's a fine player and I was a big fan of him at first, but any player that plays over his talent is going to get hate from me for sure.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Trust me, I'm probably a lot more Quebecer than you think I am.

I don't hate Danault, he's a fine player and I was a big fan of him at first, but any player that plays over his talent is going to get hate from me for sure.
Stupid if you consider that he isn't the one who decides the lines

Reactions: dralaf

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Danault, Gallagher and Tatar have been great 5v5 whenever they have played together. Obviously our coach likes that trio as they haven't let him down for long periods when together.

Danault gets very little PP time, so if one has issue with him playing with perhaps more offensively gifted players on a regular shift, he certainly doesn't get the opportunity to do so when up a man.

I actually like how he's been deployed this year and I don't think he's had a negative impact on either of Gallagher or Tatar's seasons. They are both on pace for career years, that has to account for something.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault, Gallagher and Tatar have been great 5v5 whenever they have played together. Obviously our coach likes that trio as they haven't let him down for long periods when together.

Danault gets very little PP time, so if one has issue with him playing with perhaps more offensively gifted players on a regular shift, he certainly doesn't get the opportunity to do so when up a man.

I actually like how he's been deployed this year and I don't think he's had a negative impact on either of Gallagher or Tatar's seasons. They are both on pace for career years, that has to account for something.
Again, Gallagher is a full 10 assists under his career average, if thats not "negatively impacted" I don't know what the heck it is.

Have they been good together? For sure. Is it optimal ? I doubt it.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
o
Again, Gallagher is a full 10 assists under his career average, if thats not "negatively impacted" I don't know what the heck it is.

Have they been good together? For sure. Is it optimal ? I doubt it.
Gallagher is also about to best his career high in goals. Has anyone ever confused Brendan for a playmaker?

I think they have been good together and are the line this team counts on for consistency. Who knows what optimal is for this team, but right now, switching up those 3 would not be what I was looking to change now or next.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
o

Gallagher is also about to best his career high in goals. Has anyone ever confused Brendan for a playmaker?

I think they have been good together and are the line this team counts on for consistency. Who knows what optimal is for this team, but right now, switching up those 3 would not be what I was looking to change now or next.
Gallagher has as 12 more goals than assists in his career.... This year alone, he's got 16 more goals than assists.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Gallagher has as 12 more goals than assists in his career.... This year alone, he's got 16 more goals than assists.
If you think this is only due to his centerman, you're seriously reaching...

What if Gallagher had 10 more assists yet Danault had the same amount of goals?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you think this is only due to his centerman, you're seriously reaching...

What if Gallagher had 10 more assists yet Danault had the same amount of goals?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I don't really understand how that has any bearing on Danault's effectiveness as a center on his line. If you are looking for goals out of Danault with Gallagher setting him up I think you are looking in the wrong places.

How does a team's best defensive center lead to his wingers having career seasons? I think you are discounting his value the 47% of the time they don't have the puck.

Reactions: schnapshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->