Player Discussion Phillip Danault - Damn-oh ! Edition

During this 2018/2019 season where should be playing Phillip Danault?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lack of superstar talent ? Bergeron, Chara, Thomas, Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Staal, etc.

These team literally had two centers each that would beat out our own 1C.

Price and Weber with a very good young core in Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Mete, Juulsen, Brook, Poehling, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau. We have just as much superstar talent as the Kings, Canes, and Bruins had when they won cups.

Reactions: David25

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I meant Nelson, I have always confused the two every since they were picked.

Dylan Strome has 40 points in 42 games, there's no way he's equal to Danault.
Stepan is coming off his fifth season of producing more than 50 points, lets relax in calling Danault better than him, it's not like Stepan isn't good defensively either. Stepan is, to me, the last 2C I'd consider for my contender.

Soderberg/Bozak/Henrique are in the same role as Danault, they're ideally 3C, but Henrique is better offensively so I rank him ahead.

Nelson is not better than Danault.

D Strome is having a good offensive year with the Blackhawks. But he is also playing on the #1 PP as well. Yeah, he has more offensive potential but he has a lot to learn in being a trusted 200' center. The potential is certainly there for him to be better vs Danault.

Stepan, Soderberg, Bozak, Henrique are not better than Danault. Some can be equal at best but Danault is the young one hear on the rise. You should believe in him man.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price and Weber with a very good young core in Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin, Mete, Juulsen, Brook, Poehling, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau. We have just as much superstar talent as the Kings, Canes, and Bruins had when they won cups.

This is not a core, this is a whole team.

Danault is not a core player, never was, never should be. Core players are players you choose to build around.

You generally build around your best offensive player, your best defensive player and your best goaltender.
Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Thomas
Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Quick
Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Letang
Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson, Kuznetsov, Holtby

This is a core, it's exactly what I'm adressing here, the love for depth players this teams and its fan has is driving me insane. Getting too attached to those players should never happen. A few pages back theres someone that say Danault should finish his career here ? This isn't a charity, it's a multi million dollar business.

Anyhow, you're looking at
Price, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Gallagher as core pieces, so far. I'm confident in Brook, but he's still not there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is not a core, this is a whole team.

Danault is not a core player, never was, never should be. Core players are players you choose to build around.

You generally build around your best offensive player, your best defensive player and your best goaltender.
Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Thomas
Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Quick
Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Letang
Ovi, Backstrom, Carlson, Kuznetsov, Holtby

This is a core, it's exactly what I'm adressing here, the love for depth players this teams and its fan has is driving me insane. Getting too attached to those players should never happen. A few pages back theres someone that say Danault should finish his career here ? This isn't a charity, it's a multi million dollar business.

Anyhow, you're looking at
Price, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Gallagher as core pieces, so far. I'm confident in Brook, but he's still not there.

I would consider Danault part of our core until someone knocks him off of it. If I'm building a cup contender and I'm using what we have right now... this is how I see it when our grade A prospects are closer to their prime and our current youth improves

Domi / ??? / Drouin
Tatar / Kotkaniemi / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Danault / Armia
Byron / Poehling / Shaw

No idea where Suzuki fits

Romanov / Petry
Mete / Weber
Brook / Juulsen

Fleury

Price

You can look at this roster today and say there is no way this is a cup contender but then you are assuming our youth don't grow and improve.

* If we can't find the center we need, then we go with Drouin / Domi / Suzuki

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nelson is not better than Danault.

D Strome is having a good offensive year with the Blackhawks. But he is also playing on the #1 PP as well. Yeah, he has more offensive potential but he has a lot to learn in being a trusted 200' center. The potential is certainly there for him to be better vs Danault.

Stepan, Soderberg, Bozak, Henrique are not better than Danault. Some can be equal at best but Danault is the young one hear on the rise. You should believe in him man.

As usual you just overrate our players and chose to willingly ignore any input others have on other players.

My guess is you don't know who Brock Nelson is. He's scored 20 goals for like four years in a row now, he's huge, uses his size. Ultimately, he's a 3C too, but he's still better than Danault.

Strome is still a PPG player, you can't tell me he has a similar impact to Danault, that's freaking ridiculous, and he's actually doing it with Kahun on his line.

Reactions: bsl

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would consider Danault part of our core until someone knocks him off of it. If I'm building a cup contender and I'm using what we have right now... this is how I see it when our grade A prospects are closer to their prime and our current youth improves

Domi / ??? / Drouin
Tatar / Kotkaniemi / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Danault / Armia
Byron / Poehling / Shaw

No idea where Suzuki fits

Romanov / Petry
Mete / Weber
Brook / Juulsen

Fleury

Price

You can look at this roster today and say there is no way this is a cup contender but then you are assuming our youth don't grow and improve.

* If we can't find the center we need, then we go with Drouin / Domi / Suzuki
The whole point of a core is that this is the players you are sticking too, notice Sharp, Byfuglien, Bolland, Bonino, etc aren't part of the core of the Hawks/Pens ? They got rid of them real quick because theyre just not core players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As usual you just overrate our players and chose to willingly ignore any input others have on other players.

My guess is you don't know who Brock Nelson is. He's scored 20 goals for like four years in a row now, he's huge, uses his size. Ultimately, he's a 3C too, but he's still better than Danault.

Strome is still a PPG player, you can't tell me he has a similar impact to Danault, that's freaking ridiculous, and he's actually doing it with Kahun on his line.

I can use the same BS approach you are trying to take towards me... "as usual, you deflate and exaggerate how bad our players are" We are even. You clearly only look at point production. It's very clear but somehow you ignore it. Very weird.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The whole point of a core is that this is the players you are sticking too, notice Sharp, Byfuglien, Bolland, Bonino, etc aren't part of the core of the Hawks/Pens ? They got rid of them real quick because theyre just not core players.

They got rid of them cause they couldn't fit them in the cap, not cause they wanted to get rid of them. Give your head a shake. They all played very important roles in their cup run years.

A team core is not just the top offensive players. You need players like Danault behind your top producers.

Depth is important. Winning cups like the Pens is a fools dreams.

Reactions: Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can use the same BS approach you are trying to take towards me... "as usual, you deflate and exaggerate how bad our players are" We are even. You clearly only look at point production. It's very clear but somehow you ignore it. Very weird.
Bigly weird, you have no more argument so you chose the Donald Trump ways.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They got rid of them cause they couldn't fit them in the cap, not cause they wanted to get rid of them. Give your head a shake. They all played very important roles in their cup run years.
Important, but not essantial. Why did they decide to move those guys exactly ? Why not move Toews ? Kane ? Hossa? Keith?

Because thats a core.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bigly weird, you have no more argument so you chose the Donald Trump ways.

Ah... you are the one who used an old card first buddy with your "you always overrate our players". It's disgusting how you don't look in the mirror and think I'm the only one being difficult. And I'm not the one who brought Trump into the mix. You are. This is hilarious. Please... keep acting like you are the reasonable one here and I'm not. I'm sure this makes you feel good about yourself. :biglaugh:

Danault has earned middle 2C status. Since you are getting nasty, I will join you. Do you even watch the games? :sarcasm:

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Go in the Gallagher thread to see my opinion of him instead of making dumb comparisons. Gallagher is a two time thirty goal scorer now, Danault has broken 10 goals twice. That's pathetic. He's not a skilled player and nothing you guys will try and make me believe will change my opinion of him. Stop parading him as something he is not.

So, he's an overused 3C... Since he's a third line center player first line minutes.

????
Scoring 10 goals twice in the NHL is now pathetic, we've heard more idiotic stuff before but this one is worth a mention for the effort level.

Also, if you play NHL games you,ll notice that they have attributes for players, and they're not all shooting and passing. Things like defensive awareness, toughness, stamina, etc. Danault is good for our third line in the future and a bandaid right now. Too bad you don't find him to be 'skilled' but to me his 'skills' make him a valuable piece as a mid six player, who gives a honest 100% effort almost every game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You know your appeal to authority doesn't prove anything either ?

I didn't use the words "fact" in my debate. You did.

You are sticking your neck out and calling Danault a 3C at best right? Well, this goes against the grain and you have shown us nothing to say he is not a #2C or a middle 2C.

All you have done is cherry pick points production and ignore everything else that makes a center valuable in today's NHL. Danault has earned middle 2C status.

Reactions: dralaf

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Are you defending a 10 goals scorer now ? :laugh: Nico Deslaurier did that in 50 gameas last year, thats how pathetic it is.
10 goals in the NHL is something much harder to do than you think it is. I would agree with you that he's not the most talented offensive player but I'm pointing at his other attributes that make him a valuable piece down the road.

Tell me, do you think 3rd liners and 4th liners in the NHL are all pathetic players ? Can't you see in the Playoffs how a good bottom six is extremely valuable ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't use the words "fact" in my debate. You did.

You are sticking your neck out and calling Danault a 3C at best right? Well, this goes against the grain and you have shown us nothing to say he is not a #2C or a middle 2C.

All you have done is cherry pick points production and ignore everything else that makes a center valuable in today's NHL. Danault has earned middle 2C status.
I literally just mentionned 55 players that universally rank ahead of Danault, you chose to ignore that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
10 goals in the NHL is something much harder to do than you think it is. I would agree with you that he's not the most talented offensive player but I'm pointing at his other attributes that make him a valuable piece down the road.

Tell me, do you think 3rd liners and 4th liners in the NHL are all pathetic players ? Can't you see in the Playoffs how a good bottom six is extremely valuable ?
3rd liners and 4th liners that play 1st line are pathetic, thank you, seems like we don't disagree on what Danault is, a 3rd liner.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not ignoring his 200' game, I just don't use it as a crutch to explain his offensive shortcomings as you all do.

News flash, Danault has offensive shortcomings. So do almost all 2nd line centers. Even first line centers can have SOME shortcomings. Saku Koivu had some, for example.

Second line centers have MORE shortcomings, unless they are really first line centers like Malkin.

At the end of the day, you can measure the RESULTS obtained, both offensively and defensively.

Danault measures as a second line center.

Therefore, a great goal is to have him as your third center, because that means you have two first-liners or a first-liner and a top second-liner ahead of him!

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Are you defending a 10 goals scorer now ? :laugh: Nico Deslaurier did that in 50 gameas last year, thats how pathetic it is.
I'm guessing post-2011 Joe Thornton, Ryan Johansen (hasn't scored more than 15 since 2014-2015) and Daniel Sedin are pathetic players too?

A guy like Nick Backstrom has 4 more goals than Danault this year.

I get that you don't like Danault and that the players I named are better than him but no, not scoring 20 goals every year in the NHL does not make you pathetic.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

If only goals count then Ryan Johansen is a pathetic 3/4th liner. Danault is on pace for Johansen's season of last year, a few assists behind Johansen this year. If Danault were on the PP instead of killing penalties, he might be ahead of Johansen. He is ahead at ES by 5 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad