Player Discussion Phillip Danault 1st line 3rd C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I love him as a player, but we need to judge his value objectively. On the defensive end, he's great, no debate at all.

On the offensive end, yes he gets 50-55 points a year mostly at ES, but that's also because of his deployment and linemates. You'd expect any player to produce some offense playing with the best wingers of the team and 20 minutes a night.

Us Habs fans actually have the best example of this with Plekanec. We saw Plekanec be a consistent 45-55 points/season guy even with terrible linemates. In 2012, we had Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole, which left Plekanec with a mix of Moen, Kostitsyn, Bourque, Gionta, & Cammalleri and he still produced as much as Danault does when he gets 1st line minutes with Danault and Tatar.

There's a huge difference between the 2 and I think that Danault thinks that he comparable to Plekanec, when in reality he's closer to Eller. Had we played Danault with other wingers, he probably would have gotten 35-40 points at best and we'd be paying him MAX 4 millions a year. (Danault > Eller, don't misinterpret this part)

Put Eller at 3.5 million/year between Tatar and Gallagher and he'll get 45 points, so why should we pay Danault like he was a Bergeron ?

Jul 6, 2016
I love him as a player, but we need to judge his value objectively. On the defensive end, he's great, no debate at all.

On the offensive end, yes he gets 50-55 points a year mostly at ES, but that's also because of his deployment and linemates. You'd expect any player to produce some offense playing with the best wingers of the team and 20 minutes a night.

Us Habs fans actually have the best example of this with Plekanec. We saw Plekanec be a consistent 45-55 points/season guy even with terrible linemates. In 2012, we had Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole, which left Plekanec with a mix of Moen, Kostitsyn, Bourque, Gionta, & Cammalleri and he still produced as much as Danault does when he gets 1st line minutes with Danault and Tatar.

There's a huge difference between the 2 and I think that Danault thinks that he comparable to Plekanec, when in reality he's closer to Eller. Had we played Danault with other wingers, he probably would have gotten 35-40 points at best and we'd be paying him MAX 4 millions a year. (Danault > Eller, don't misinterpret this part)

Put Eller at 3.5 million/year between Tatar and Gallagher and he'll get 45 points, so why should we pay Danault like he was a Bergeron ?

Danault is a better player than Eller, and OF course, not as good as Bergeron. So we should expect him to be played 5M$ per season.

Jason Wadden

Danault is a talented 3rd line C...if he doesn't like it, MB better tell him to take a look at other destinations for his next home...yes, it would suck to lose him, but continuing to play him above his offensive talent level, especially if Suzuki & JK continue their upward trajectory, would be much worse for us...and he'll learn rather quickly, if he does leave, that he's not gonna play Top 6 on any contending team, at least any that pop quickly to mind...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Amen brother.

Id go up to 4.5 with Danault, but over that, its too expensive.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
MB should just make decisions on Danault and Tatar this offseason.
Don’t run the risk of letting them walk.
Get an asset. Sign budget replacements to hold the spots until the kids are ready.
Say, Haula and AA.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
honestly i hope Phil understands he has a chance to be a key contributer, even thou it might not always be in the top 6/pp role. He'll see just as much minutes if not more than KK and Zi just based off his pk and 5on5 play, and matchups too. And Clod

Like anyone else, you earn your pp time; a "top 6 forward" doesn't always guarentee pp time and 30+ goals on a season. Phil plays on a steady line with Gally and T, and the line is having success and they have decent numbers.

Just as much, Habs have the chance to sign a great 2 way player. Still has some upside, improves every year, still pyoung with tonnes of hockey in him still.

I think its seriously win-win. Id be shocked totally if they move Danault because of money. I'm sure they'd look at other options, thats what im hoping if it comes to that!

my 2 cents

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
honestly i hope Phil understands he has a chance to be a key contributer, even thou it might not always be in the top 6/pp role. He'll see just as much minutes if not more than KK and Zi just based off his pk and 5on5 play, and matchups too. And Clod

Like anyone else, you earn your pp time; a "top 6 forward" doesn't always guarentee pp time and 30+ goals on a season. Phil plays on a steady line with Gally and T, and the line is having success and they have decent numbers.

Just as much, Habs have the chance to sign a great 2 way player. Still has some upside, improves every year, still pyoung with tonnes of hockey in him still.

I think its seriously win-win. Id be shocked totally if they move Danault because of money. I'm sure they'd look at other options, thats what im hoping if it comes to that!

my 2 cents
I think they need to sit down with Phil to make him realize, his 1st line minutes were a result of not having anyone else for a few seasons...he is a perfect, absolutely perfect 3rd line C. He has never been a #1 guy, and and he needs to realize when he was, we finished out of the playoffs, year after year.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Danault better eat some humble pie or get ready to be traded as MB sounds like he isn't gonna break the bank for him

lol.

On any given time in the past I would have felt bad for the guy. But after the comments he made after the playoffs? Good for him.

Danault won't be signed before next offseason. It makes perfect sense, as signing him would all but send the message Tatar has no future with the Habs.

I fully expect Bergevin to keep his cards close to his vest all season long, and wait next offseason to strike a deal with either Tatar or Danault, in accordance with the evolution of our young centers and of what might be available or not on the trade or UFA market.

Meanwhile, brace yourselves for French media pumping the tires of Danault tirelessly and bashing Tatar every opportunity they got.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
lol.

On any given time in the past I would have felt bad for the guy. But after the comments he made after the playoffs? Good for him.

Danault won't be signed before next offseason. It makes perfect sense, as signing him would all but send the message Tatar has no future with the Habs.

I fully expect Bergevin to keep his cards close to his vest all season long, and wait next offseason to strike a deal with either Tatar or Danault, in accordance with the evolution of our young centers and of what might be available or not on the trade or UFA market.

Meanwhile, brace yourselves for French media pumping the tires of Danault tirelessly and bashing Tatar every opportunity they got.
You mean future Bergeron, Selke winner, top line centre Danault? Ya I'm sure we will hear all about him this year.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Danault didnt help himself while crying about his ice time and future with the Habs, he literally said he didnt want to re-sign here to play in a third line cente role...

Bergy about Gallagher: "He never complained about anything, 0 maintenance, has that capacity to look at himself in the mirror when things dont go his way"

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You mean future Bergeron, Selke winner, top line centre Danault? Ya I'm sure we will hear all about him this year.

I've seen the French media play this game with Ribeiro vs Koivu, Latendresse vs Kostitsyn, Lapierre vs Plekanec, Desharnais vs every possible alternative. You can bet your ass they will do everything in their power to influence the fans opinions of Danault vs Tatar. Just you guys wait.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think they need to sit down with Phil to make him realize, his 1st line minutes were a result of not having anyone else for a few seasons...he is a perfect, absolutely perfect 3rd line C. He has never been a #1 guy, and and he needs to realize when he was, we finished out of the playoffs, year after year.

If he doesn't realize that himself, sitting him down won't change anything. Danault is as dumb as Drouin.

lol.

Id be pretty happy if Danault+Drouin+prospect+1st brought us a top 6 LW and Tatar was resigned to a cap friendly contract.

Imma say it right here, but if Bergevin does this i wont say a single bad thing about him ever again, quote me on that.

Lmao

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If he doesn't realize that himself, sitting him down won't change anything. Danault is as dumb as Drouin.

Id be pretty happy if Danault+Drouin+prospect+1st brought us a top 6 LW and Tatar was resigned to a cap friendly contract.

Imma say it right here, but if Bergevin does this i wont say a single bad thing about him ever again, quote me on that.

Lmao

That's quite the statement right here :laugh:

Jul 6, 2016
Danault is at the present time still and at least one of the top-two line centerman on this club. He has proven he deserves it while KK has still to prove he is one of them. A regular season and hopefully Playoffs, will show in which chair they belong.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is at the present time still and at least one of the top-two line centerman on this club. He has proven he deserves it while KK has still to prove he is one of them. A regular season and hopefully Playoffs, will show in which chair they belong.
Danault proved he was not good enough for the top 6, thats what he proved.

Its time to win, not time to hang in there until a better C comes around. Ride or die.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
1 fact that will always stay with Danault for me is , How much Claude Julien loves him to death and would probably like to have 12 Danault as forward. But at the same time , it's the same coach that never put him on the ice during a powerplay. We saw it this season even with injuries , Weal Cousins and even Lekhonen were on the PP before him. Says it all about his role into a good playoff team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad