Speculation: Philip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't believe the Habs are going to trade Danault. Not with the other two centers being 20 and 21 next year and with guys like Weber, Price, Petry, Gallagher looking to move up the standings. Add management too... they don't have plans to do another re-set or re-tool.

If Danault is moved, there would have to be a major trade package and other moves that the Habs make. That's not probable. Possible but not probable
Makes a lot of sense for the Habs to keep Danault.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Buffalo might pay considerably for Danault, but I can't see them or any team give the #8 overall pick for a player like Danault, especially given his contract circumstances. At this point, top-10 picks are too valuable. Buffalo needs much more than Danault to be a reliable playoff team, too. If he's so good that he vaults Buffalo into the playoffs, the Habs would be really, really bad without him. At what point do the Habs need to actually make the playoffs?

Considering what Buffalo was asking for from Montreal for ROR, I have very little doubt Montreal's initial ask will be a ridiculous overpay.

Reactions: malcb33

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
For Danault extended it could be a lot honestly, I like him as our 2nd center, he does everything well but with KK and Suzuki he is pretty much done. I would rather pay Domi at that point to be 3rd C.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Considering what Buffalo was asking for from Montreal for ROR, I have very little doubt Montreal's initial ask will be a ridiculous overpay.

You are comparing a guy who was signed for 5 more years to a guy that is 1 year away from UFA. A guy who had multiple 20+ goal seasons to a guy who has 15 goals as his best season. A guy who had 6 50+ point seasons to a guy with 1.

At best Danault is worth what JT Miller got. At best. A conditional 1st + a B level prospect.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
You are comparing a guy who was signed for 5 more years to a guy that is 1 year away from UFA. A guy who had multiple 20+ goal seasons to a guy who has 15 goals as his best season. A guy who had 6 50+ point seasons to a guy with 1.

At best Danault is worth what JT Miller got. At best. A conditional 1st + a B level prospect.

It was reported that Buffalo was asking from Montreal in 2018 for the 3rd OA pick, Ryan Poehling (when he was near the peak of his value) and Danault for ROR. Any way you shake it that is a ridiculous demand, especially in light of what Buffalo was actually willing to trade him for.

There is no conceivable way Montreal doesn't demand a ridiculous return from Buffalo if they inquire.

And Montreal isn't going to trade Danault now for a 1st + a B level prospect unless that 1st was really high. Montreal has no need to move him and that is the floor of what a C like Danault gets as a deadline rental.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I'm stunned that this thread still going on. There is zero chance of Danault being traded. Zero.

Although he may not be a "star" he may just be the Habs' most important forward.

- Most icetime overall.
- Most PK time by far.
- 2nd in points.
- Best FO% by far.
- Selke-caliber defensive play.

With Thompson gone they have absolutely nobody to replace him with. Danault had 178 min of PK time in the regular season vs 45 min for all the other Cs left on the roster combined.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I'm stunned that this thread still going on. There is zero chance of Danault being traded. Zero.

Although he may not be a "star" he may just be the Habs' most important forward.

- Most icetime overall.
- Most PK time by far.
- 2nd in points.
- Best FO% by far.
- Selke-caliber defensive play.

With Thompson gone they have absolutely nobody to replace him with. Danault had 178 min of PK time in the regular season vs 45 min for all the other Cs left on the roster combined.

I agree it doesn't make any sense to move him but they also seem hell bent to give Kotkainiemi a top 2 spot. I think Danault wants to play top 2 and have a long term deal. Does he get that in Montreal?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I agree it doesn't make any sense to move him but they also seem hell bent to give Kotkainiemi a top 2 spot. I think Danault wants to play top 2 and have a long term deal. Does he get that in Montreal?

Probably, depending on the contract demands. I think the plan is for Montreal is to roll 3 lines. Its not hard to give Danault the minutes he's already getting, since its primarily at ES and PK, and he's very good at ES and the PK.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

Kotka had a grand total of 9 seconds of PK time during the regular season. He's not replacing Danault anytime soon and Suzuki shouldn't either (for his own sake).

Danault is impossible to replace, at least right now.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Danault should be given his line with gally and tatar and 16-17min icetime like usual. Who cares if it’s the « 3rd line » as long as they produce and win I don’t get why he is so pissed. He never played on PP so why now ? He is one of the less skilled guy, very useful but not really skilled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad