Player Discussion Philip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You know what both of those acquisitions have in common?

The "hockey experts" here denounced them both as "more fourth liners" acquired by Bergevin sifting through the bargain bin.

These were the same hockey geniuses that were screaming about how badly Bergevin got ripped off when he traded Sekac and went on and on about how he was inexperienced and had just been robbed blind by the Ducks.

Of course, none of these people learned any lessons from this and they still pollute the board with their under informed rantings on players they know precious little about.

Bergevin said that last year's debacle was "on him". He did not elaborate, but with ACTIONS, not words, he went about repairing his errors.

We have a better backup goalie.

We got a strong defensive defenceman with leadership to anchor our D corps.

We brought in and are PLAYING some young talents like Danault and Lehkonen.

He signed Radulov to boost the offence.

He brought in Shaw (only 25 yo) to elevate the compete level.

He listened to his head coach and acquired Kirk Muller to help improve the staff.

For me, the jury is still out on his decision to stick with Therrien, a decision I criticized often. I'm still a bit worried about that one, to be honest, but so far, Therrien has used his players better than last year and the group has battled through adversity better, perhaps due to the players brought in?! Whatever the reasons, so far so good but I still want to wait and see.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Fans are just lack patience. They want young kids to become impact players overnight. Look at Dylan Larkin in Detroit. He has been moved to center this year and it's a disaster. He is now back to the wing. Therrien was wrongly blamed on how he handled Galchenyuk. It did it perfectly bringing the kid up smoothly. He is now an elite player but it took four years.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not when they were acquired, what Ferris is saying is true.

I was one who was skeptical when Bergevin said that Danault would replace Eller. I'm very happy that he's even better than I could have hoped for. I don't think it was unreasonable to be questioning that move. It's not like all of MB's acquisitions were successful.

I liked the Byron claim from the beginning. I'm in Calgary and used to work for the Flames. I watch virtually all their games. I don't think the Flames wanted to lose him. They took a shot at waivers and lost out.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
For me, the jury is still out on his decision to stick with Therrien, a decision I criticized often. I'm still a bit worried about that one, to be honest, but so far, Therrien has used his players better than last year and the group has battled through adversity better, perhaps due to the players brought in?! Whatever the reasons, so far so good but I still want to wait and see.

Therrien only has a better team. He is the same coach. As you showed it. It is a much better roster. So much better that even if Price struggles and we had a lot of injuries, we were able to stay afloat. Danault Lekhonen, Shaw and Radulov were not there last year and Byron is better. And replace Subban by Weber...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I was one who was skeptical when Bergevin said that Danault would replace Eller. I'm very happy that he's even better than I could have hoped for. I don't think it was unreasonable to be questioning that move. It's not like all of MB's acquisitions were successful.

I liked the Byron claim from the beginning. I'm in Calgary and used to work for the Flames. I watch virtually all their games. I don't think the Flames wanted to lose him. They took a shot at waivers and lost out.

Its ironic because another one of "bargainbins" acquisitions is tied with Lars right now in pts and has more goals. I think if someone would of suggested after draft day that Flynn would have as many points and more goals then Lars Eller they would of been laughed of the board.

I am sure though we are all still waiting for Trotz to unlock Ellers 2nd line potential. Wonder why such a smart coach hasn't played him with Ovie to create a true offensive powerhouse line ??? :sarcasm::sarcasm:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Its ironic because another one of "bargainbins" acquisitions is tied with Lars right now in pts and has more goals. I think if someone would of suggested after draft day that Flynn would have as many points and more goals then Lars Eller they would of been laughed of the board.

I am sure though we are all still waiting for Trotz to unlock Ellers 2nd line potential. Wonder why such a smart coach hasn't played him with Ovie to create a true offensive powerhouse line ??? :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Bergevin has made some outstanding acquisitions recently. Let's not pretend that everyone who he signed was a success.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

I definitely agree with you on the former, and on the latter I was skeptical about another "smurf", but I'm always open minded until I see what happens on the ice.

I'm also old by HFBoards standards.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I definitely agree with you on the former, and on the latter I was skeptical about another "smurf", but I'm always open minded until I see what happens on the ice.

I'm also old by HFBoards standards.

Hehe pretty sure I have a decade or 2 on you. Your point is well taken though. MB had way more failures than successes when he took the reins. The recent acquisitions have been magnificent.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Therrien only has a better team. He is the same coach. As you showed it. It is a much better roster. So much better that even if Price struggles and we had a lot of injuries, we were able to stay afloat. Danault Lekhonen, Shaw and Radulov were not there last year and Byron is better. And replace Subban by Weber...

And Desharnais is out of the lineup, a factor not to be underestimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad