Recalled/Assigned: Philip Danault (Sharp to LTIR)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Would you rather package him with other assets to obtain a player that is going to help this year, or for a 4th round pick? Which trade do you value more?

That is the point I am driving at, i.e. he is more valuable as part of a package to obtain a player and not as part of a deal that brings back a pick.
There are no "big deals" to be made this season.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
I admittedly never watch Rockford, so these kids are mostly foreign to me when they jump up, but I have looked at some film and seen some interviews on and with this kid and I am excited to see what he brings to the table.

Definitely making things interesting seeing all these guys hop up to the show.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Morin's best weapon is his shot...which unfortunately he does not use often enough or from the right spot on the ice..not his fault...because the Q system places all forwards in a disadvantage in getting off clear shots from the best shooting positions..Since Morin provides no other advantages....if he can.never use his best weapon in the system dictated by Q,he is essentially worthless to us..he would thrive as a shooter in other systems like CGY.or Montreal...but the Hawks'role for grunts is to generate o-zone time and puck possession even if the grunts never score...The players are not allowed to.leave the board areas to.get to.open spots on the ice that.provide the.best clear shooting opportunities..Instead our grunts are expected to keep up an endless cycle game with trying to.get puck back to our men on point. ..through men occasionally get a shot through on goal but if they miss our grunts must be in position to re-track and retrieve the puck only to stArt the cycle again.Thus you will not see much scoring from any of.our grunts unless they generate the odd break-away chance...but one-timer shots and tap instead off rushes and passes to the open guy at the net...or clear slot shots...you will see so few of these from our grunts simply because under the Q system they can not first get to the open shooting lane and best shooting spot as many other teams do with their guys. THey are stuck along the boards and behind the net trying to keep the cycle game going..In part zone time is actually a defensive strategy because the other team cannot score if the puck is kept mostly in their zone..but it dulls the best offensive opportunities and so unless Morin's generates more break-aways, he like the other grunts simply cannot score.much in this system.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Would you rather package him with other assets to obtain a player that is going to help this year, or for a 4th round pick? Which trade do you value more?

That is the point I am driving at, i.e. he is more valuable as part of a package to obtain a player and not as part of a deal that brings back a pick.

If he is worth a 4th, do you really think he will even add much to the trade value?

Basically, instead of trading a team a 4th round pick, you are trading them Morin. Doesn't really boost the value much more imo.

The fact that he is signed for next year as well, probably doesn't help his case. If he was an RFA like Hayes and Pirri, I think teams might be more inclined to trade for him.

If there is no trade to be made, waive him, hope he goes through and helps Rockford while Danault sticks up here.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
If he is worth a 4th, do you really think he will even add much to the trade value?

Basically, instead of trading a team a 4th round pick, you are trading them Morin. Doesn't really boost the value much more imo.

The fact that he is signed for next year as well, probably doesn't help his case. If he was an RFA like Hayes and Pirri, I think teams might be more inclined to trade for him.

If there is no trade to be made, waive him, hope he goes through and helps Rockford while Danault sticks up here.

If it adds enough marginal value to something to get a return worth something it is a more valuable asset being employed that way. I hope you understand what I am trying to intimate now.

Nothingman*

Thing is, we all wanted Morin to flourish. But he didn't rise to the occasion. So it is on the kid.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Thing is, we all wanted Morin to flourish. But he didn't rise to the occasion. So it is on the kid.

Its the classic case where the player thinks that if the coach would play me more I'd show what I can do and the coach thinking show me what you can do and I'll play you more. I still think the guy could have a good career if he go the right opportunity.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Frolik was put in a rule he wasn't ideal for and worked his butt off to win respect of coaches and excel at it

No excuse for Morin to be absolutely worthless outside of a top 6 role. And at end of day there is 7 wingers better then him on roster who all deserve to play in top 6 more then him

And times he has gotten look at top 9 role this year he has not looked good

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Morin is a 4th line player (at this time) who plays less than 10 minutes a game with Kruger as his center, and who's primary responsibility is keeping the ops off the scoreboard. We have several minus players on this team including Kane, Seabs, Shaw etc.. and Morin is not one of them. I say give him some time, not give up on him 20 games into his first FT season with Hawks.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I didn't realize people thought he was playing poorly. I'm obviously disappointed he hasn't gotten on the score sheet but I think he's played very well and could easily have a couple of goals. If given a bigger role on another team I'm sure he'd flourish.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I didn't realize people thought he was playing poorly. I'm obviously disappointed he hasn't gotten on the score sheet but I think he's played very well and could easily have a couple of goals. If given a bigger role on another team I'm sure he'd flourish.

He's not. They're just obsessed with stats and conveniently ignore the ones they don't like. Like Morin being an even player in a 4th line role, despite no points, and his more seasoned linemate having a whopping 1 goal.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Morin can't skate well enough to play in top 6 in Chicago. Has enough grit to stick on an NHL fourth line. Unfortunately his shot won't be used there. It is what it is. I think he could put up 20 goals in a season a couple times...not in Chicago though.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Morin can't skate well enough to play in top 6 in Chicago. Has enough grit to stick on an NHL fourth line. Unfortunately his shot won't be used there. It is what it is. I think he could put up 20 goals in a season a couple times...not in Chicago though.

Yep, just a bad fit for the Hawks. He'll be a good pro but not here. You have to play defense, have good visions and skate to play in the top 6 here. Those are is three knocks.

I imagine he'd do well with a big physical team like LA, ANA, BOS, and the best fit for him in my opinion is Philly.

LandofLincoln*

It would not surprise me if we got a 55th-60th overall at the trade deadline. Morin at seasons end probably gets a 4th round pick.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Perhaps his output has something to do with his centerman. Afterall, he gets to play with Marcus (I won't create any offense unless it's given to me, and maybe not even then) Kruger for what, 7 or 8 minutes a game. Don't believe me? Look at Ben Smith's totals. Of course it would be nice if Morin got on the scoreboard, but I have no problem with his game, and I don't think Q does either.

The sooner Danault takes over that 4th line center position the better.

Uh, Kruger lead the "4th liners" in scoring last year and he's leading them in scoring this year. Ben Smith's only goal this season was off a nice cross-crease feed from Kruger off a wrap from behind the net.

It's funny.. Ben Smith had great numbers (relative to his playing time) last year - was that because of Kruger? Of course not, he doesn't create any offense. But of course, Smith's lack of production this season has everything to do with Kruger and nothing to do with him. Have you even noticed what Ben Smith has been doing on every, single, shift this season? He spins, spins and spins down low and either loses the puck or gets checked. That's his entire game right now. That's why he's been struggling to produce. People can say whatever they want about Bollig, most of it is warranted, but he really did open up space for Smith and Kruger last year. He was a load to deal with along the boards.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Morin is a 4th line player (at this time) who plays less than 10 minutes a game with Kruger as his center, and who's primary responsibility is keeping the ops off the scoreboard. We have several minus players on this team including Kane, Seabs, Shaw etc.. and Morin is not one of them. I say give him some time, not give up on him 20 games into his first FT season with Hawks.

Plus/minus.. nice.

I'm not a Morin hater, but the thing is Bobby.. this isn't about 20 games. It's about an inability by Morin to find a niche at this level. To find something that keeps him up here besides his contract status.

He's got a great shot and he had a very good season in the AHL last year - his 4th in that league (and yes, I understand he was concussed in his first season). Is Morin all he'll ever be at this point? Probably not.. but what he could be, he probably won't be here. He's not good enough to warrant more playing time, he hasn't played well enough to warrant it, and there's kids coming along in the AHL that bring more to the table than Morin's been able to show in his NHL stints.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Back to Danault though, I'm excited to see him get a shot. Doesn't seem like it will be a long one, but I'm excited to watch him play.

The 2011 class is just outstanding. It's just a matter of time before McNeill gets his chance. Can anyone remember the last time the Hawks - or any team for that matter - graduated all four of their first four picks of a draft? And the fifth guy in the class? Michael Paliotta; I'd bank on him making the NHL at some point.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Back to Danault though, I'm excited to see him get a shot. Doesn't seem like it will be a long one, but I'm excited to watch him play.

The 2011 class is just outstanding. It's just a matter of time before McNeill gets his chance. Can anyone remember the last time the Hawks - or any team for that matter - graduated all four of their first four picks of a draft? And the fifth guy in the class? Michael Paliotta; I'd bank on him making the NHL at some point.

I wouldn't bet against Dahlbeck either and Shaw is in that draft. Just absurd. That draft might be able carry us through the next cap purge on it's own, if we needed it to. Conceivably 7 NHL quality players with Saad as a young star to boot. 7 players is 1/3 of a whole team. Just non stop hits.

I'd really like to know if there has ever been a draft like it around the league.

I saw a tweet and don't remember who sent it. But the Hawks have the most GP and most points out of that draft by far and we haven't even seen Danault, McNeill, Paliotta, Dahlbeck and only had one game of Clendening. Just a franchise saving class for a franchise that didn't need one.

Edit: just looked it up, in 2011 there is only one other team remotely close and that is Tampa with kucherov, namestnikov, palat. In 2010 there is ST Louis with Tarasenko and Shwartz but that's it. 2009 Colorado had a monster with Duchene, oreilly, eliott, Bairrie.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad