OT: Philadelphia Union Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
Completely disagree, Dellacamera is one of the US PBP guys. Who else are you going to hire?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Completely disagree, Dellacamera is one of the US PBP guys. Who else are you going to hire?

It's not like there's a deep pool of soccer commentators out there, and they hired the one visible, recognizable name/voice there is.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
I meant to say one of the best US PBP guys, probably the best. And my completely disagree was to flyhigh...stupid vicodin.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Point of note: having been a soccer announcer in the US is not really indicative of you being any good at it...it's literally the bottom of the barrel, just because it isn't nearly as lucrative to announce as other sports.

I don't really have an opinion one way or another...but "he's done it before!" doesn't really mean all that much to me. Particularly if you've spent any time listening to EPL guys.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Europe is just such a completely different culture to soccer that it doesn't sound appealing to Americans for the most part, I think.

JP though was a soccer guy from the start. A big reason why SUM wanted JP to be the lead announcer instead of Dave O'Brien (talk about ignorance).

ESPN this year will have Martin Tyler though, which, can't really complain about that.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
To be fair many euro guys are overrated by americans because they are euros. JP is a solid PBP and he is distinctly american. He's good.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
To be fair many euro guys are overrated by americans because they are euros. JP is a solid PBP and he is distinctly american. He's good.

Eh, I think they're just better. It's a premium job meaning it's more competitive, they get to broadcast more games so are better practiced, and whatever you might say about the culture they grow up with a deep understanding/appreciation for the game.

Doesn't mean US guys can't do a perfectly good job...but I'm largely unimpressed with 'em. Doesn't mean they don't do a decent job, but at the same time they're working that gig because they got passed over for the premium jobs here.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
Eh, I think they're just better. It's a premium job meaning it's more competitive, they get to broadcast more games so are better practiced, and whatever you might say about the culture they grow up with a deep understanding/appreciation for the game.

Doesn't mean US guys can't do a perfectly good job...but I'm largely unimpressed with 'em. Doesn't mean they don't do a decent job, but at the same time they're working that gig because they got passed over for the premium jobs here.

Well I don't think an american will ever get a job in the UK doing PBP. The accent is just a death blow. It doesn't mean they are less talented it is just it doesn't make sense to hire an american even if he is as good or better an announcer. Not to mention the stereotyping of being an american announcer.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
I meant to say one of the best US PBP guys, probably the best. And my completely disagree was to flyhigh...stupid vicodin.

That's like saying somebody is the best player in the ECHL. Sure that's okay, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that great.

Europe is just such a completely different culture to soccer that it doesn't sound appealing to Americans for the most part, I think.

JP though was a soccer guy from the start. A big reason why SUM wanted JP to be the lead announcer instead of Dave O'Brien (talk about ignorance).

ESPN this year will have Martin Tyler though, which, can't really complain about that.

Huh? If you think most Americans want biased, over-the-top assessments of American players and of the USNT, then yes, JP Dellacamera is great. If you want a person who actually knows what he's talking about, then you go to Europe. Again, I probably sound like an elitist *********, but I've been watching soccer in 2 different languages for a long time and Dellacamera just blows, that's all there is to it.

Obviously some of the Euro guys are pretty bad (Motson and Tylesley come to mind), but for the most part, they follow the game much better and know what they're talking about, outside of the fawning love for everything British, the Brits are just pretty good at it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Over the top assessments? He's giving information on the players and how they play. Especially compared to what you see in MLS. It doesn't make much sense to say how good a guy is but not as good as a bunch of other guys some people watching never heard of. How is the casual person watching soccer supposed to get excited if they're being kept down to earth since they're watching what is essentially the ECHL of soccer.

I think because you follow what happens in Europe and are so familiar that is skews your opinion of inferior soccer aspects in the States. JP is top of the line here, if anything because there isn't anyone else that is. But I supposed it's like when people here say Jim Jackson and the Flyers broadcasts are so great...until you watch most of every other team and it turns out they might be in the bottom third of the league in that.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
I think if you made for all things equal and you couldn't tell differences in accents and you did an analysis of euro commentators and JP he would end up in the top half. He wouldn't be in the elite but he would be at least average. But whatever this is a dumb argument FlyHigh thinks everything is a failure whether it is the flyers, eagles, or phillies....okay the sixers are a failure.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
He really wouldn't, the accents are meaningless, I don't care who's commentating.

Also, realist = thinks everything is a failure?

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
He really wouldn't, the accents are meaningless, I don't care who's commentating.

Also, realist = thinks everything is a failure?

Haha, you're beyond a realist...you are definitely a pessimist. I am pretty sure you were one of those people who thought Cholly was a bad manager.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Do the Union have a schedule yet? I just see their first 3 games.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
rumor is KYW and their sister station (is it CW or UPN? one of those) will broadcast the games

I like this rumor. Perfect place for them. Rather have them there than CSN/CN.

The full schedule is supposed to be released soon. And I think the new CBA gets hammered out by february. There is no way the MLS could survive a work stoppage and both sides know that.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
yeah KYW would be best for me. if they were on csn, they would get bumped to CN8 b/c of the phils and my cable doesnt carry CN8 :(

sched came out jan 28 last year, so expect it soon

there will be no work stoppage. both sides know that would be suicide for the league. they will hammer it out. last i read, the finances were agreed upon, they were finalizing the players rights issues

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What are the issues in this? I know the salary cap is one of them, but it doesn't seem the salaries are proportionate with what the league brings in now. Expansion fees from from $5M to $40M.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
i'll be the first to admit I am no MLS expert, so maybe someone can help out. but I do know that the minimum salary is a big issue as is players rights (free agency in particular)

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
Guaranteed contracts, free agency, and high min. salaries are the issues the players care about.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Guaranteed contracts, free agency, and high min. salaries are the issues the players care about.

And all legitimate gripes.

I understand why the league runs its business the way it does (they don't want to fall into the financial trap some other leagues have), but it's borderline draconian in how it handles its players within that financial discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad