Status
Not open for further replies.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
rendell030708.jpg

What's not to love?

Rendell and I were in the same frat at Penn (of course, he was like 35 years ahead of me). His nickname was "Stench." :laugh:

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
He also hit on probably the hottest chick that lived on my block whilst at Penn.

I got his signature in my pledge book as a freshman. He was teaching some BS "Who Gets Elected and Why" class then. When I told I was pledging Pi Lam, he seems ready to ditch his own class to head back to the house to knock back some Yuenglings. I think it actually was a Thursday, so we would have at least one keg.

jb**

that's hysterical

all along 291 there are streets , many of them, with houses that are just abanded. it is truely amazing. a good 2 mile stretch with nothin but wasteland. there are a ferw house occupied but it is unreal..

jb**

It won't draw here, but will draw in Kansas City? There are holes in your argument. It isn't going to be challenging the other teams anytime soon (if ever), but it's a bit silly to argue that the greater metro area of Philadelphia cannot support a soccer team just as well as most other cities in the MLS. They'll do fine.

no there are no holes. soccer is popular no doubt. not arguing that. that doesnt translate to drawing people to pay to watch it. no other soccer franchise in this area did that well and i dont care if it was 25 years go. Why is it silly to argue? ever think KC doesnt have other alternatives to go to? there are so many more options in this area. glad you think they will do well. in 5 years they will be gone or pretty much down to nothing. location of the stadium isnt exactly in their favor. cant see many people in the usburbs driving over an hour to visit that **** hole area. time will tell.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Are you guys getting a designated player this year? Last year, Seattle got Freddie Ljungberg and while the city seemed to be stoked about the Sounders anyways, I think Ljungberg helped create some buzz and fully legitimized the team before the season started. Of course, once the games began, seems like the actual club created enough excitement throughout the city.

Anyway, congratulations to Philadelphia on getting a new club. I will look forward to seeing games between TFC and Philadelphia in the years to come!

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
no there are no holes. soccer is popular no doubt. not arguing that. that doesnt translate to drawing people to pay to watch it. no other soccer franchise in this area did that well and i dont care if it was 25 years go. Why is it silly to argue? ever think KC doesnt have other alternatives to go to? there are so many more options in this area. glad you think they will do well. in 5 years they will be gone or pretty much down to nothing. location of the stadium isnt exactly in their favor. cant see many people in the usburbs driving over an hour to visit that **** hole area. time will tell.

No other soccer franchises ANYWHERE drew. That's the hole in your argument. Soccer has increased in popularity since we hosted the WC here, which enabled the MLS to get off the ground. The league has been very careful and methodical in its expansion and is run by a centralized ownership system that keeps all the franchises moving towards the common goal.

And what is this about an hour? That stadium is easy driving distance from Philadelphia, northern Delaware, and south NJ. A lot of people live within easy distance of that stadium. It isn't just folks north and west of the city that are going to be interested in going to games. And, again, there's a fan group that lists 5,000 members and the team hasn't even played a single game yet...those folks were traveling to other MLS games to make their presence felt.

And, yes, KC has less alternatives than Philly. It also has a LOT less people. 3-4 million less, in fact.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Are you guys getting a designated player this year? Last year, Seattle got Freddie Ljungberg and while the city seemed to be stoked about the Sounders anyways, I think Ljungberg helped create some buzz and fully legitimized the team before the season started. Of course, once the games began, seems like the actual club created enough excitement throughout the city.

Anyway, congratulations to Philadelphia on getting a new club. I will look forward to seeing games between TFC and Philadelphia in the years to come!

Freddie ended up in the MLS? Holy crap, I had no idea, did he play well?

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
This is a great development for Philadelphia sports fans of all stripes.

I don't understand how so many Flyers fans can have such a negative attitude about it.

IAN aka RYAN

Mar 25, 2009
Del.Co. PA
www.facebook.com
Sounds like the old montreal rule in the NHL where they automatically got the best french canadian players

Actually the stadium in chester is on the waterfront and easily accessible by interstate, they build ramps from the walt whitman bridge to the stadium. It's more marcus hook than chester.

Nah, its Chester, right next to the Commodore Barry. The Hook is about 1-2 miles further down 291. And about a mile or so south from Harrah's (which is pretty nice for being next to a Prison).

The stadium is in a very nice area.

Its in the area of the worst section of chester. And Chester is one of the worst cities on the east coast. It is however accessible from 95, 291, and the Bridge, and they are doing a good job around 291.
You just dont stop at the Red lights at night down there.

IAN aka RYAN

Mar 25, 2009
Del.Co. PA
www.facebook.com

**** hole area, yes i agree, but population and convienient drive wise? You must not live around here or are just looking for agruments. The area does suck and it is Chester, but they are doing a lot of good things along the waterfront and i think it will be successful. They said the same thing about Harrah's. That place is awesome btw.

Delaware County 550k = <10 mins via 476, 95 or 291
Chester County 440k= 10-30 mins depending on where you live
Philadelphia county 1.5mill = 20-30 min ride down 95

this however doesent include the county's in Jersey & Delaware which can be a considerably less driving distance.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
The stadium is there for two obvious reasons: 1) the land was cheap; and 2) your run of the mill urban renewal thought process. Generally speaking stadiums contribute nothing to the public weal, but when you're talking about places that are that run down they can do some good if they bring in some businesses that want to take advantage of the crowds coming in...we'll see if that plays out.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
How will one view the games? I'm sure CSN wont be showing many if any games. So how can i view them?

ESPN and their networks will air some...some asked about it above, I haven't seen anything. Comcast does have two channels they could use, though.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
I know for a fact ESPN is broadcasting their first game (they said so during the draft), and that they regularly broadcast MLS games. I don't know if a local channel is going to pick 'em up or something (I have a friend trying to get a gig working the beat on the team, but as of last discussion he didn't know what the deal was on that front). I wouldn't be shocked to see Comcast pick 'em up given that they have two channels and just the Phils.

Thanks for the info. I've been interested in soccer so having a local team to follow would make it easier to get into. I hope Comcast does pick them up. ESPN broadcasting the first game is a start. :yo:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Union2010

JP Dellacamera will be Philadelphia Union's play-by-play announcer for the club's Inaugural Season!

Awesome!!

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
Also interesting counterpoint to those who dont see this as workable...Union jersey is the fastest selling in MLS history. Also JP Dellacamera just signed on to do PBP.

dbow2019

Sep 28, 2009
I wish I could like soccer...all of my friends love it and I just cant get into it

I guess I dont like that a game that usually ends with under 3 goals and no physical contact

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Union2010

JP Dellacamera will be Philadelphia Union's play-by-play announcer for the club's Inaugural Season!

Awesome!!

Wait, seriously?

DP Dellacamera is one of the worst soccer AND hockey commentators I have ever heard. He's terrible at both sports!

I remember when OV scored against the Thrash 6 seconds into OT and he just goes, "Ovechkin.....shooting and scoring....6 seconds into OT" with less emotion than Spock.

And don't even get me started on his massive levels of ignorance when it comes to soccer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JP is one of the best announcers around for hockey and soccer. If he was so ignorant about soccer he wouldn't be into his 4th decade of calling games on a national level.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
JP is one of the best announcers around for hockey and soccer. If he was so ignorant about soccer he wouldn't be into his 4th decade of calling games on a national level.

You realize that Jack Edwards called World Cup games in 2002? There isn't a lot of logic in these decisions.

I've watched soccer for 14 years, I can say definitively that JP Dellacamera is a terrible soccer commentator, his bias is absolutely astounding, he's just hard to listen to, and he offers absolutely no insight, and routinely gets basic characteristics about players wrong in addition to choosing one player on the other team to focus on (in that Italy game, it was Pirlo and then Rossi) and ignoring everyone else.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's not his job to offer insight, that's why they give them a color commentator with him. A comment, quip, observation here and there, but ground-breaking revelations is not what he's supposed to bring to the table.

He is short, simple, and to the point which is what you find in most announcers who have been doing it for a while, most of older announcers, in just about every sport. Guys who haven't been doing it for a while are the ignorant ones because of their arrogance that they're calling the games and have the unabated ability to force their opinion. That's not their job. This is why so many people hate Joe Buck.

Your Jack Edwards example is perfect, but not the way you think. I don't think he was that bad when he did hockey for ESPN (I don't remember enough from 2002, the games were on in the middle of the night). He left ESPN because, to his credit, he was a hockey guy and didn't want to work for a network that didn't support hockey. But since he's a huge Bruins fan and obvious homer and thinks that now he's the PXP for his favorite team he acts like a king of ****. That's not what good PXP announcers do, and that's why he's become such a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad