OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Science Class With Bryce Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I really can't stand this ESPN crew doing the Phillies game. It's like a bunch of guys sitting around talking about baseball and every once in a while they remember there's a game going on.

Reactions: BiggE

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Can we finally move on from Hoskins and find a first basemen who can hit north of .250?

Eric Hosmer is hitting .276. Hoskins is hitting .240. No way in hell do I want Hosmer over Hoskins.

Sorry, it's 2021. We got ways to measure productivity beyond just batting average. Hoskins is the bottom of the top-10 in pretty much all advanced metrics calculating run generation/offense among 1b. Hosmer is in the 20s.

If you wanna point at a free agent of possible acquisition who can come in and be better than Hoskins then sure... but that's not a very big list for 1B and many of them are not free agent eligible yet or likely to be available. I'm not sure Hoskins looks like the kind of guy who is going to age well and you want to give a big long-term contract to in another 2 years though.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Eric Hosmer is hitting .276. Hoskins is hitting .240. No way in hell do I want Hosmer over Hoskins.

Sorry, it's 2021. We got ways to measure productivity beyond just batting average. Hoskins is the bottom of the top-10 in pretty much all advanced metrics calculating run generation/offense among 1b. Hosmer is in the 20s.

If you wanna point at a free agent of possible acquisition who can come in and be better than Hoskins then sure... but that's not a very big list for 1B and many of them are not free agent eligible yet or likely to be available. I'm not sure Hoskins looks like the kind of guy who is going to age well and you want to give a big long-term contract to in another 2 years though.
So is Hoskins really that good or is there just a shortage of good 1bs

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
So is Hoskins really that good or is there just a shortage of good 1bs
I think it's prob more the latter. We used to see more of the top-10 hitters in the league be 1B. As recently as 2010 you're talking about like 5 or 6 of the top 10 in OPS+ being a 1B. This year that number is only 3 of the top-10.

If you expand it to top-20 it probably looks even worse comparing 1B in the top-20 league hitters now vs 10 or 20 years ago.

Reactions: BiggE

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
RALLY MANTIS!!!

E7f06JaWEAw1r-b

SAID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad