OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Science Class With Bryce Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
DFF: Regarding your question about Albert Belle, in Fantasy Baseball (yeah, I know), if someone took him with the first overall pick, I would not bat an eyelash. The man was a formidable talent - hit for power and average. Not the fleetest of foot nor the best glove man, but the man had HOF rake-age. The fact he was a less-than agreeable person definitely hurt his chances for the HOF. He really only played 10 full seasons with a slash line of .374/.571/.945 over those 10 years. There was also the Halloween incident and the damning corked bat thing - neither of which worked in his favor with voters.

That being said, he was one hombre you didn't want to face in a close game. Griffey, Thomas, Rodriguez, Bonds...I'd put Belle right up there with them.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
DFF: Regarding your question about Albert Belle, in Fantasy Baseball (yeah, I know), if someone took him with the first overall pick, I would not bat an eyelash. The man was a formidable talent - hit for power and average. Not the fleetest of foot nor the best glove man, but the man had HOF rake-age. The fact he was a less-than agreeable person definitely hurt his chances for the HOF. He really only played 10 full seasons with a slash line of .374/.571/.945 over those 10 years. There was also the Halloween incident and the damning corked bat thing - neither of which worked in his favor with voters.

That being said, he was one hombre you didn't want to face in a close game. Griffey, Thomas, Rodriguez, Bonds...I'd put Belle right up there with them.
I was on the other side of the argument. The guy had five seasons that were at or near HOF levels and the rest of his career was good not great. There were really only three that I think jump off the page looking at his stats (50/50 season and the .357 season most obviously then the 1998 season as well). Other than that he had two other seasons that were great, but nothing all-time. And the rest were good but not great. IMO, that doesn't get you in the HOF especially when like you said it wasn't like he was stealing a ton of bases or robbing HRs left and right. Plus the corked bat and I will admittedly say I don't recall the halloween incident but it sounds spooky.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
This is pretty crazy the Angels have made 19 draft picks so far. *EVERY SINGLE PICK* has been a pitcher. One high school pitcher, the rest all college pitchers.

Last pick coming up... Can they throw the first MLB draft no-hitter?

*EDIT* and they've done it! another pitcher taken in the the 20th round(last round).

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This is pretty crazy the Angels have made 19 draft picks so far. *EVERY SINGLE PICK* has been a pitcher. One high school pitcher, the rest all college pitchers.

Last pick coming up... Can they throw the first MLB draft no-hitter?

*EDIT* and they've done it! another pitcher taken in the the 20th round(last round).

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?
One of them has to make it to the big leagues, right?

What a head scratching draft strategy.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

a253cacb-72e5-485b-af8d-e14a4fce2e8e_text.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Guy should have lost his job a long time ago and yet somehow he managed to find himself as the highest paid ESPN personality.

If that doesn’t sum up sports media today I don’t know what does.

I don’t know why they even have shows like that. It’s just begging to get in trouble given the usual topics & the push for outrageous personalities/takes.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don’t know why they even have shows like that. It’s just begging to get in trouble given the usual topics & the push for outrageous personalities/takes.
That’s the world we live in now sadly. Shock value is more important than anything. They want this type of thing obviously by how they have decided to compensate someone like SAS.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I cant listen to David Ortiz talk without thinking of Kenan Thompson

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Oh, snap. Disrespect to Canada by the MLB.

Guerrero Jr, born in Canada but linked to the Domincan Republic: Dominican Republic flag.

Freeman, born in the USA, represents Canada internationally: USA flag.

Edit: not as much disrespect as that anthem singer though. :laugh: Yowza.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Why are these things so hard for sports to get right?
They should have never changed from the players wearing their normal jerseys with a patch. It’s a disgrace. It’s fine if they wanted to wear these for the HRD like they normally do but not in the game.

On top of it these jerseys were obviously made for the All-Star game in Atlanta.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad