OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Science Class With Bryce Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
You can't? I can. Because it was the absolute opposite of what should have happened

What do they have to sell? They wouldn't get anything of significance for any of the guys on expiring or nearing the end of team control. Roster shakeup? Fine, I get it, but that wasn't going to happen 6 months after bringing in Dombrowski.

If anything, they didn't do enough. You can get #5 starters for peanuts and same for a bench bat. But we've seen time and time again their owner won't go over the luxury tax despite claiming he will do everything to get his trophy back.

Dombrowski has shown he will go big to win when he has the chance and that didn't happen today. Makes me think its coming from above him. They aren't a good baseball team but anything can happen when you make the playoffs and they won't have a better chance over the coming years than this year.

Reactions: tucson83 and JXC

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
They may have tried to sell but got offered squat for Cutchie and Segura and Rhys.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What do they have to sell? They wouldn't get anything of significance for any of the guys on expiring or nearing the end of team control. Roster shakeup? Fine, I get it, but that wasn't going to happen 6 months after bringing in Dombrowski.

If anything, they didn't do enough. You can get #5 starters for peanuts and same for a bench bat. But we've seen time and time again their owner won't go over the luxury tax despite claiming he will do everything to get his trophy back.

Dombrowski has shown he will go big to win when he has the chance and that didn't happen today. Makes me think its coming from above him. They aren't a good baseball team but anything can happen when you make the playoffs and they won't have a better chance over the coming years than this year.

Dombrowski is the kind of guy you'd want running your worst enemy's favorite team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Let's check on Dombrowski's offseason moves:

JT 2.8 WAR
Didi 0.0 WAR
Joyce -0.5 WAR
Jankowski 0.5 WAR
Coonrod 0.0 WAR
Anderson 0.0 WAR
Bradley -0.2 WAR
Feliz -0.2 WAR
Alvarado -0.3 WAR
Moore -0.3 WAR
Kintzler -0.3 WAR

Not to be a hater but JT was mostly up to ownership, not Dombrowski. Didi has been a disaster. There were SS options this year and next year. He's on a two year deal. The best addition is a guy they really had no intention of playing in the Big Leagues.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

JT 2.8 WAR
Didi 0.0 WAR
Joyce -0.5 WAR
Jankowski 0.5 WAR
Coonrod 0.0 WAR
Anderson 0.0 WAR
Bradley -0.2 WAR
Feliz -0.2 WAR
Alvarado -0.3 WAR
Moore -0.3 WAR
Kintzler -0.3 WAR

Not to be a hater but JT was mostly up to ownership, not Dombrowski. Didi has been a disaster. There were SS options this year and next year. He's on a two year deal. The best addition is a guy they really had no intention of playing in the Big Leagues.
Killin it

No like actually killing the team

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Killin it

No like actually killing the team
Klentak did that long ago.

Not to mention the biggest fraud of an owner out there. The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing us that Middleton wasn’t a cheapskate because they spent money between 2007-2011 for the first time in their god forsaken franchises history.

It’s easy to spend $300M on a player when he’ll pay for himself in merchandise. That was a business decision not a baseball one.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Klentak did that long ago.

Not to mention the biggest fraud of an owner out there. The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing us that Middleton wasn’t a cheapskate because they spent money between 2007-2011 for the first time in their god forsaken franchises history.

It’s easy to spend $300M on a player when he’ll pay for himself in merchandise. That was a business decision not a baseball one.
Luckily, Harper has been terrific on the field and in the box. Icing on the cake would have been if he flopped.

Also, welcome back :)

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey

JT 2.8 WAR
Didi 0.0 WAR
Joyce -0.5 WAR
Jankowski 0.5 WAR
Coonrod 0.0 WAR
Anderson 0.0 WAR
Bradley -0.2 WAR
Feliz -0.2 WAR
Alvarado -0.3 WAR
Moore -0.3 WAR
Kintzler -0.3 WAR

Didi felt like a panic move from the front office. He was the last of the FA shortstops to sign and I think they really wanted Andrelton Simmons or Marcus Semien.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Didi felt like a panic move from the front office. He was the last of the FA shortstops to sign and I think they really wanted Andrelton Simmons or Marcus Semien.
Simmons was the other guy but he got less than Didi on a one year deal so hard to believe Didi wasn't the preference between the two, especially with Girardi in the picture.

I don't remember them ever being linked to Semien. He took a one year deal to play 2nd base. I'd imagine he would have prefered to play SS in a contract year. He was obviously the homerun of the bunch.

Didi was always weird because they gave him a two year deal with the historic SS class coming the following season. And news became public about the balls shortly after the signing and no one benefitted from the juiced ball more than Didi.

Reactions: Hurricane28

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Throwing Suarez into the rotation mid-season. What a trainwreck org.
Hasn't started a game in 3 years, been their best reliever the entire season in a HORRIBLE bullpen.

Oh yea. Let's move him into the rotation... ****ing Phillies. It's like oops, we traded Spencer Howard who we ****ed around with in his development flipping back and forth between SP & RP. Let's do it to Suarez

Reactions: FLYguy3911

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Well...at least Vin and Moore are banished? Idk is there really no better options than the only good reliever in a bottom 3 bullpen?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ok, a man on 3rd with 1 out, then Alvarado walks a guy, why do you not walk the bases loaded to set up a force at home? Stupid.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hope Brito is okay.
Scary stuff. In less important news, he finally was having his breakout season.

Alvarado -0.3 WAR
Guy f***ing sucks. Stop using him late in games.

Ok, a man on 3rd with 1 out, then Alvarado walks a guy, why do you not walk the bases loaded to set up a force at home? Stupid.
Because he walks a batter per inning and you can't trust him to throw strikes.

Reactions: SnS

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So they tie it up just to blow it in the 9th and don't allow my fantasy pitcher to get. W. Dickheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad