OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not positive, but I don't think the Braves are paying anything. Let me dig up the deadspin article.

Here's one of them:

http://deadspin.com/the-braves-are-going-to-ridiculous-lengths-to-squeeze-e-1782862795

http://deadspin.com/cobb-county-needs-to-raise-taxes-to-pay-for-public-park-1780832038

That's crazy. That being said though, while I hate these, I would be singing a different tune if Comcast or the Phillies ownership group or Jeffrey Lurie said they were moving the team if they couldn't get funding for the stadium from the city...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
lol...I loved how some of our local bloggers who've covered the sport are ripping him for it too.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
By all accounts, instructional league is like playing practice. They end innings half way, they coach mid at-bats and there are pitchers working their way back from major surgery.

Not sure there was much impressiveness there.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Tebow is just one of those dudes that is good at everything. I still think in the right system he would have been a good NFL quarterback, or at least one that could have gotten the team wins. Problem is no team is going to re-work their system for him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tebow is just one of those dudes that is good at everything. I still think in the right system he would have been a good NFL quarterback, or at least one that could have gotten the team wins. Problem is no team is going to re-work their system for him.

Well, might as well break the seal for a new season and get this over with:

I DISAGREE.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He's basically in batting practice. I think Ertz and Brayden Schenn hit HRs at CBP too. Should the Phillies sign them?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah I'm sure the kid that could get cut tomorrow was throwing batting practice. Instructional League is the season for a lot of those kids.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
From a great college, drafted by a great team, and jumped into Peoria his first half-season? Pretty impressive.

Instructional league isn't all scrubs. The Yankees are sending some highly touted prospects that way this offseason, as I'm sure many other teams are doing.

edit: Plus it was a letter-high fastball that Tebow probably will be coached on not to swing at.

Yea, he's elite.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I know Howard's average is horrible but I find it hard to believe that an AL team that needed pop wouldn't take a chance on him. 25 dingers with his limited atbats is pretty impressive

It's too bad that HRs don't have their own separate category on the scoreboard. Even with his ability to hit homers, he's just not a good offensive player anymore because of his ridiculously poor OBP.

Granted, in the second half he's been much better. If he was doing that from the beginning this season we may have found a taker for him. But up until the all-star break he looked like he would struggle to hit in AA.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I know Howard's average is horrible but I find it hard to believe that an AL team that needed pop wouldn't take a chance on him. 25 dingers with his limited atbats is pretty impressive

I don't think an AL team would take him with purposes of him being their full time DH at this point because of the average. Maybe as a bench player who would pinch hit & could step in & DH when needed? Kind of like Matt Stairs towards the end of his career. I think that's pretty much best case scenario for him at this point. He's made a lot more money though so he might just hang it up over that.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well, might as well break the seal for a new season and get this over with:

I DISAGREE.

Lol. I get the Tebow arguments. I just think the guy keeps winning. May not be pretty, but he gets the job done when given the opportunity. Winning record in the regular season, .500 in the playoffs. He's not going to be a guy that beats out another quarterback, and I'm not saying he is a superstar, he just succeeds. Won't surprise me if he makes the MLB and it won't surprise me if flops. Kids a winner.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lol. I get the Tebow arguments. I just think the guy keeps winning. May not be pretty, but he gets the job done when given the opportunity. Winning record in the regular season, .500 in the playoffs. He's not going to be a guy that beats out another quarterback, and I'm not saying he is a superstar, he just succeeds. Won't surprise me if he makes the MLB and it won't surprise me if flops. Kids a winner.

It's hard for me to say a QB who hasn't played an NFL game in years "just succeeds."'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad