Asche
Ruiz

Rotation:

Hamels
Lee
Kendrick
Carmona/Hernandez
Pettibone/Mag

How bad is it that the lineup is probably better than the rotation.

If....

-We get Burnett
-Howard stays healthy and puts up power numbers
-Byrd puts up similar numbers as he did last season
-Utley stays healthy
-Revere gets hot and becomes the catalyst of the team
-Asche plays out of his mind
-Hamels/Lee pitch like Cy Young candidates

I see this team being around .500....A LOT OF IF'S.

I just don't see it happening. But I see how that line-up could have been good 3 years ago lol

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
If....

-We get Burnett
-Utley stays healthy

I just don't see it happening. But I see how that line-up could have been good 3 years ago lol

Anything can happen...but one thing I really want to see is this team get off to a strong start. If they come out strong, at least theyll get some confidence and us as fans can get behind them...even if they will most likely come up short in the end. If they come out falling like in past years, it is going to be a very long season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If....

-We get Burnett
-Utley stays healthy

Honestly, if all of that happens, they'll probably battle for first. Most have them hovering around .500 if things go the way they expect (injuries and down years). You are saying if everything goes right.

If Howard is healthy and hits 35/140, Utley is healthy and does what he did last year, Byrd duplicates last year, Asche is a decent hitting 3rd baseman and Revere gets on base like 37% of the time?

That's half the lineup playing well, which means they'll probably be scoring a ton of runs.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Honestly, if all of that happens, they'll probably battle for first. Most have them hovering around .500 if things go the way they expect (injuries and down years). You are saying if everything goes right.

If Howard is healthy and hits 35/140, Utley is healthy and does what he did last year, Byrd duplicates last year, Asche is a decent hitting 3rd baseman and Revere gets on base like 37% of the time?

That's half the lineup playing well, which means they'll probably be scoring a ton of runs.

Was just about to post this. If this team plays to its abilities (which doesn't really happen and I'm not saying it will) they will be a playoff team. If everything in that list happens that the other guy posted, this team is easily in first place.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

I just can't see this happening, unfortunately.

Utley and Howard, even if they're healthy, are going to be a year older. It's a tall order expecting them to be the offensive catalysts on this team.

Same goes for Byrd - the guy had a career year last year for sure, but his numbers went up significantly higher than in recent years, and he's 36. It just seems incredibly unlikely that he repeats that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ruin Tamaro Jr.

“I don’t suspect we’ll be doing anything,” he said Friday. “I think we’ve got what we’ve got. I suspect we’ll go into the season with what we’ve got – or at least spring training with what we’ve got. We’re always looking, always trolling. I know there are guys out there, but I don’t suspect us having anything major coming through.”

You can say that again.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
My only hope is that if things aren't going to break our way, then it needs to bottom out all the way. I want no part of another season struggling to reach 0.500. Either playoffs (super long shot) or complete and utter collapse. Has got beat ownership over the head with a mallet to convince them that a total rebuild is necessary to expedite us becoming a winner again.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
This year is going to suck.

First time in a long time that I haven't been excited going into the season. Even back in the mid 2000's I always looked forward to the season because they had young talent that you could watch grow (Utley, Howard, Hamels [starting in 2006], etc.).

Now, it's just a decrepit lineup.

The least interesting/most boring teams to follow in sports if you are an avid fan of a team is an old team in decline. You know that kind of team is unlikely to improve, and you don't at least get the enjoyment of seeing young players develop and get better (hopefully).

Just thinking about Ruben Amaro gets me royally pissed off. I'd love to hang him like a pinata and take a few swings at him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Its official...Moyer & Stairs are in the booth this year. Should be a fun 9 innings..too bad I won't watch any of them.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im not sure I have ever been more excited in my life than when Stairs hit that HR. Considering what had taken place in that game and the situation, it was perfect.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Im not sure I have ever been more excited in my life than when Stairs hit that HR. Considering what had taken place in that game and the situation, it was perfect.

Yeah, that was a pretty epic moment in Philly sports history.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hamels won't start the year, behind in his offseason training, he will pitch in April (per him)

And it sounds like AJ Burnett is a Phillie to the tune of 16M for 1 yr.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Up there as probably my favorite. I'm only 24 so I don't have the great ones of yesteryear, but that, 4th and 26, Primeau against the Pens and Gagne against the Lightning are some of the biggest.

I'd add Hallady's no-hitter against the Reds as well. That's something baseball fans will be talking about 50 years from now.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hamels won't start the year, behind in his offseason training, he will pitch in April (per him)

And it sounds like AJ Burnett is a Phillie to the tune of 16M for 1 yr.

Really? I heard the rumors and I like the signing, but I didn't actually think it would happen. The Phillies rotation is going to be a strong one.

Top 3:
Hamels
Lee
Burnett

Bottom 2 would be any of these:
MAG
Hernandez
Kendrick
Pettibone

That's a good set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.