OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Keith Law top 100 came out today. 5 Phillies in the top 100. JP Crawford #4 is the only one in his top 50 though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lewis Brinson is also ahead of Williams on just about every list I see despite Williams advancing quicker. They were in the same draft class. I hope McPhail didn't pick the wrong OFer.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wasn't Mazara always supposed to be the better prospect? I'm not schocked to see Mazara that high or see him ahead of Williams, but it does seem like there is too much separation between the two. That being said, Mazara is two years younger than Williams and he pretty well lit up AAA during his time there last season, albeit in only 20 games. Williams should probably be a pretty good chunk higher though.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Wasn't Mazara always supposed to be the better prospect? I'm not schocked to see Mazara that high or see him ahead of Williams, but it does seem like there is too much separation between the two. That being said, Mazara is two years younger than Williams and he pretty well lit up AAA during his time there last season, albeit in only 20 games. Williams should probably be a pretty good chunk higher though.

There are some who prefer Williams. General consensus is that Mazara is the better prospect. I just can't understand how Williams is ranked so far behind.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Lewis Brinson is also ahead of Williams on just about every list I see despite Williams advancing quicker. They were in the same draft class. I hope McPhail didn't pick the wrong OFer.

I don't think he did. Just in the small sample size I watched, he has pretty good tools. Can hit for power, run, play decent defense. I saw him in person maybe five times and like Crawford, I think he has that IT factor

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Mazara was supposed to be the better prospect but at the time of the trade there was talk that a few scouts thought Williams might end up being better if the improvement he showed at the plate stuck. Law doesn't believe in him, but ranking/rating baseball prospects is such a roll of the dice. When Dominic Brown is considered a top 4 prospect in all of baseball and a year or so later he's sent home early because he was so terrible it gives reasons to take any rankings with a massive grain of salt.

That said we'll see what Williams does in LV this year where he's really going to be tested if he can lay off the junk that's he's going to see. I was really impressed with him in Reading but that's also a hitters park. While I'm not really looking forward to this year for the Phillies, I can't wait to see Reading, LV and the rest of the farm system (I most get to see Reading/LV games on Milb.tv) Such a big year for the farm system since so many key prospects are at the AA and AAA level.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Mazara was supposed to be the better prospect but at the time of the trade there was talk that a few scouts thought Williams might end up being better if the improvement he showed at the plate stuck. Law doesn't believe in him, but ranking/rating baseball prospects is such a roll of the dice. When Dominic Brown is considered a top 4 prospect in all of baseball and a year or so later he's sent home early because he was so terrible it gives reasons to take any rankings with a massive grain of salt.

That said we'll see what Williams does in LV this year where he's really going to be tested if he can lay off the junk that's he's going to see. I was really impressed with him in Reading but that's also a hitters park. While I'm not really looking forward to this year for the Phillies, I can't wait to see Reading, LV and the rest of the farm system (I most get to see Reading/LV games on Milb.tv) Such a big year for the farm system since so many key prospects are at the AA and AAA level.

I think Williams is going to struggle initially in AAA, the same way that Franco did. So, lets not panic if he has a .700 OPS in July, as long as the strikeout totals aren't crazy high.

I'm also excited for the farm system, but I think the major league team will be very interesting. There should be a ton of young guys trying to find their way- pitchers and hitters. Out of everybody, I think I'm most curious to see Aaron Altherr and how he follows up last year's breakout. He played like an all-star for 40 games, but I don't know if he can make enough contact to be more than a 4th OF long-term.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Williams is going to struggle initially in AAA, the same way that Franco did. So, lets not panic if he has a .700 OPS in July, as long as the strikeout totals aren't crazy high.

I'm also excited for the farm system, but I think the major league team will be very interesting. There should be a ton of young guys trying to find their way- pitchers and hitters. Out of everybody, I think I'm most curious to see Aaron Altherr and how he follows up last year's breakout. He played like an all-star for 40 games, but I don't know if he can make enough contact to be more than a 4th OF long-term.

I'll be watching LV closely this year so it will be interesting to see how it goes for him. I saw Franco at LV but I had been watching him since he was at Lakewood so I had a much better feel for what he could do.

I'm not looking forward to watching the Phillies other then Franco/Nola/Eickhoff and if/when any other prospects make the jump. Unless Vincent Velasquez makes the team as he's one I want to see the most out of any of the new guys. I was never a big fan of Altherr but agree that how he follows up last years breakout is going to be very interesting.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Deitch always retweets Law saying Paul Goldschmidt won't be any good.

It usually pretty funny.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Should be a good race with the Braves.

I really don't think so. Like the Phillies are bad, but the Braves are so, soooo bad. I can't tell how the Braves are going to get through 9 inning games. Their pitching is ****ing awful. The Phillies rotation seems like it can at least eat innings, with some upside. The bullpen is a mess and it's hard to tell what that'll look like.

I think the Phillies have improved from last year. The Braves could be in worse shape than the Phillies from last season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We'll see. Vegas doesn't see much of a difference between the two teams. Both could get help after mid-season promotions.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Should be a good race with the Braves.

disappointed that the braves have out tanked the Phillies and rebuilt their farm system quicker. That was supposed to be our thing and they just dismantled their team and made some nice moves. Hate the braves although was a huge greg maddux and loved going to games at the vet when he pitched as you could pay 5 bucks and sit where ever you wanted and drink your face off while watching such an outstanding pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad