Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Back to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So when does Galvis get zapped for second PED offense? Not buying a "swing adjustment" is the driving force behind the numbers.

If he does, he's done for good. Crawford is waiting in the wings, his mediocre AAA year is buying Galvis another year (if he doesn't get suspended) if he does, I expect Crawford will get fast tracked.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Freddy's always showed pretty good pop for a SS at the big league level. He just isn't a good all-around hitter. He's been really good at short though. I wonder if they try and sell "high" on him this offseason.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm all for selling high on Galvis. His glove has gotten much better after a shaky year last year and obviously his power numbers are up. Even if Crawford isn't ready next for year I'd still trade him. This team is not going anywhere next year and the difference isn't going to be Galvis vs. Gavlis's replacement.

Not a fan of the roid users, especially when it looks like they may be using again. Could be nothing, but I just have little trust for MLBers and anything suspicious raises a red flag. Doubling career HR numbers is suspicious to me.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
AAA Manager was essentially let go. They must not have liked the way he handled that team. Odd decision.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
So when does Galvis get zapped for second PED offense? Not buying a "swing adjustment" is the driving force behind the numbers.

Think he started taking them midseason? Nothing odd was going on until August. I think it's probably just a crazy hot streak that will end and we'll never see again. While we're wildly speculating, how did Daniel Murphy go from solid regular to MVP candidate at age 31? His ISO is .100 points above his career average.

As for selling high, I think they would have better luck there with Cesar. Unlike Galvis, his overall offensive line is solid, but I'm not convinced he could do it again next year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Think he started taking them midseason? Nothing odd was going on until August. I think it's probably just a crazy hot streak that will end and we'll never see again. While we're wildly speculating, how did Daniel Murphy go from solid regular to MVP candidate at age 31? His ISO is .100 points above his career average.

As for selling high, I think they would have better luck there with Cesar. Unlike Galvis, his overall offensive line is solid, but I'm not convinced he could do it again next year.

As to the bolded...why not? As to Daniel Murphy...I'm suspicious of anyone that has these types of increases. How did Brady Anderson hit 50 HRs at age 32? How did Greg Vaughn hit 50 HRs at 32? How did Ken Caminiti win an MVP? And so forth and so on. I don't necessarily think steroids are as rampant as they were in the 90s, but they are still around, and I think that if you get caught once for it there is certainly reason to think that a second time is possible, especially with such a drastic shift in power numbers.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
AAA Manager was essentially let go. They must not have liked the way he handled that team. Odd decision.

hired under the previous GM so he wasn't there guy. Perhaps they didn't like the way he handled Williams with the benchings along with Crawford's struggles. On the other hand LV had one of their best seasons in some time.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
As to the bolded...why not? As to Daniel Murphy...I'm suspicious of anyone that has these types of increases. How did Brady Anderson hit 50 HRs at age 32? How did Greg Vaughn hit 50 HRs at 32? How did Ken Caminiti win an MVP? And so forth and so on. I don't necessarily think steroids are as rampant as they were in the 90s, but they are still around, and I think that if you get caught once for it there is certainly reason to think that a second time is possible, especially with such a drastic shift in power numbers.

I believe that a guy can just put it together at different stages in his career. Could PEDs be a factor? Maybe. However, at the same time, PEDs aren't some magic bean that turns into the beanstalk of homers. With guys getting nabbed all the time nowadays, I think it's a lot more difficult. I think Freddy at this point is just trying to crank homers.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I believe that a guy can just put it together at different stages in his career. Could PEDs be a factor? Maybe. However, at the same time, PEDs aren't some magic bean that turns into the beanstalk of homers. With guys getting nabbed all the time nowadays, I think it's a lot more difficult. I think Freddy at this point is just trying to crank homers.

It is certainly possible, but because of what happened in the 90s, I'm never going to trust anything baseball related that even looks slightly suspicious (especially from a guy that has already be caught once). Still love the game but there's just no trust. Spent my childhood idolizing cheaters that took the most hallowed records in sports (61 and 755) and turned it all to ****. First it was McGwire and Sosa, then it was Bonds. Then you had all the other guys that wound up with tarnished names. Then you have the guys today like A-Rod and Ryan Braun that get caught and then lie and then get caught lying and are just like "well, whatever I lied and I cheated but come on, it was a mistake and I am sorry so please just let's focus on something else besides my cheating and lying."

The only way that I will ever start trusting these kinds of things again is when the MLB and MLBPA agree to institute a one and done policy, which will never happen. I'm not as bothered by PEDs in other sports. I'm not sure it has the same type of impact, at least measurable impact like it does with baseball. And I'm really just talking about steroids here. Chooch getting zapped for Adderall similarly doesn't have the same stigma to me as a guy like Canseco or Bonds with the ridiculous steroid use.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It is certainly possible, but because of what happened in the 90s, I'm never going to trust anything baseball related that even looks slightly suspicious (especially from a guy that has already be caught once). Still love the game but there's just no trust. Spent my childhood idolizing cheaters that took the most hallowed records in sports (61 and 755) and turned it all to ****. First it was McGwire and Sosa, then it was Bonds. Then you had all the other guys that wound up with tarnished names. Then you have the guys today like A-Rod and Ryan Braun that get caught and then lie and then get caught lying and are just like "well, whatever I lied and I cheated but come on, it was a mistake and I am sorry so please just let's focus on something else besides my cheating and lying."

The only way that I will ever start trusting these kinds of things again is when the MLB and MLBPA agree to institute a one and done policy, which will never happen. I'm not as bothered by PEDs in other sports. I'm not sure it has the same type of impact, at least measurable impact like it does with baseball. And I'm really just talking about steroids here. Chooch getting zapped for Adderall similarly doesn't have the same stigma to me as a guy like Canseco or Bonds with the ridiculous steroid use.

This is a problem the MLB created for itself though. I don't necessarily blame the guys who are just trying to stay at their best in the best league in the world. If the MLB had more stringent policies instead of just pretending like it didn't know what was happening at the beginning, the epidemic never would have blossomed like it did.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is a problem the MLB created for itself though. I don't necessarily blame the guys who are just trying to stay at their best in the best league in the world. If the MLB had more stringent policies instead of just pretending like it didn't know what was happening at the beginning, the epidemic never would have blossomed like it did.

Oh absolutely. They ate it up and made tons of money and it made baseball popular again. It is clear they still don't care when you have these rules that aren't even followed all the time (see: Ramirez, Manny). I'm not trying to blame anyone and say it is the players' or the owners' or the league's fault, I'm just saying that I do not trust the stat lines like these power increases. That could mean that I discount a guy that doesn't deserve it, but I don't care.

If the MLB and the MLBPA were serious about cleaning it up and keeping it clean, it would be one and done. But they are not. There is still an incentive cheat. You can get caught once and still get a $100 million contract. You get what, 60 games? Second offense you get a full season. But at that point you've already made $100 million and you've played for ten years so who cares. You get a year off to spend with your family. Maybe retire, or maybe sign a new contract and play a couple more years off steroids (or on). Best case scenario you finish out your career with a ton of money and no one remembers you. Worst case scenario you get a third strike and you are banned...but you've still made a ****-ton of money. If I were a guy that was close to the bigs, I'd be juicing all the time. If I were in the bigs and someone was threatening my job (cough...Galvis...cough), I'd be juicing big time to keep my job or at least get a fat contract somewhere. The temptation is there and there a new ways to beat tests and new drugs and new everything. I think it is still a big problem, just not as big as it once was.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Oh absolutely. They ate it up and made tons of money and it made baseball popular again. It is clear they still don't care when you have these rules that aren't even followed all the time (see: Ramirez, Manny). I'm not trying to blame anyone and say it is the players' or the owners' or the league's fault, I'm just saying that I do not trust the stat lines like these power increases. That could mean that I discount a guy that doesn't deserve it, but I don't care.

If the MLB and the MLBPA were serious about cleaning it up and keeping it clean, it would be one and done. But they are not. There is still an incentive cheat. You can get caught once and still get a $100 million contract. You get what, 60 games? Second offense you get a full season. But at that point you've already made $100 million and you've played for ten years so who cares. You get a year off to spend with your family. Maybe retire, or maybe sign a new contract and play a couple more years off steroids (or on). Best case scenario you finish out your career with a ton of money and no one remembers you. Worst case scenario you get a third strike and you are banned...but you've still made a ****-ton of money. If I were a guy that was close to the bigs, I'd be juicing all the time. If I were in the bigs and someone was threatening my job (cough...Galvis...cough), I'd be juicing big time to keep my job or at least get a fat contract somewhere. The temptation is there and there a new ways to beat tests and new drugs and new everything. I think it is still a big problem, just not as big as it once was.

Exactly, if I was a player, I'd be roiding like crazy, put up great numbers, get myself a great contract, get caught, take the 1/2 season hit, let it go and be mediocre but get paid like an elite for the next 5-6 years.

Honestly EVERYBODY should do this.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Exactly, if I was a player, I'd be roiding like crazy, put up great numbers, get myself a great contract, get caught, take the 1/2 season hit, let it go and be mediocre but get paid like an elite for the next 5-6 years.

Honestly EVERYBODY should do this.

Exactly. It is such a joke they way they pretend like they care about these things (players, owners, and league officials). They don't. There is absolutely no deterrent, especially for fringe guys. Maybe for a big-time guy that has a big ego or something like Bonds or Clemens who doesn't want their name tarnished, but for Freddy Galvis for example, the choice could be be a steroids user or go to the minors (or out of baseball). Why wouldn't you use steroids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad