OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2017 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
nice job tommy joesph, finally he got his leg down early and his hips went to wear the ball was and kept his head down that allows his bat to come through the zone.

nice job

tommy needs to keep this up.

nice shot 4-0 phils

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Just got back from my first Phillies game in forever. Pretty good game until the Bullpen came in and gave up 8 runs in two innings. Efflin is a slow pitcher.

DFA every pitcher in the Pen except maybe Neshek and start signing some fans to pitch instead. Fans could not do any worse than the garbagmen the Phillies currently employ

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Best hitter in the International League currently. Joseph is starting to show life again. I think we'll see Hoskins around the All Star break.

Phillies play the Nationals again this weekend. Great schedule.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No. He used to play a little of it during his college days but he's not athletic enough to pull it off now.

But they play Brock Stassi in the OF sometimes so who knows.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
This article is about way more important stuff than baseball, but it's nice to finally see a Phillies prospect that understands the game.

“I don’t think I’m a power hitter. I really don’t. I’d like to say that I’m a hitter first. I think that you accidentally hit home runs. At least for myself. If I try to hit home runs, I have no chance. Be a hitter. Everyone wants to hit home runs. Sure, I get that. But it’s also fun to be on base.

An Emotional weekend for Phillies prospect Rhys Hoskins

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is what Stairs is trying to teach these guys, hitters like Rupp and Joseph have so much natural power that if they focus on contact they'll get a lot of HRs.

One reason Franco struggles is he overswings instead of trusting his power, and gets himself out.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
When I was a kid and tried to hit HRs, my coach always said, just try to hit the ball hard, it'll go if you get it good enough.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
what a blast from Cozens the other day, his home run traveled 469 feet and set the record for the farthest homer in the stadium's nine-year history. Damn.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Cozens is a beast. If they can find a home for him and surround him with other good hitters, I'll take a masher in this lineup

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He hit a ball off the wall in left center last night and then struck out his next 3 ABs. He's definitely a polarizing prospect.

JP Crawford hit his 1st HR last night. Crushed it to RF. Hopefully that gets him going.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The question is, is he ever going to get called up?

Feels like no one ever will be.

In general it's different in baseball opposed to hockey. A lot of call-up's are dictated on future contracts. The more service time that you accumulate in the MLB the less teams have in contract control.

June is usually a month where you start seeing teams call-up guys.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In general it's different in baseball opposed to hockey. A lot of call-up's are dictated on future contracts. The more service time that you accumulate in the MLB the less teams have in contract control.

June is usually a month where you start seeing teams call-up guys.

Yeah it's just frustrating :help:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You would prefer to give players at least a full year of AAA ball, very similar to AHL, AA and below is more like juniors.

In AAA ball, you have a lot of veteran AAAA type pitchers, who lack ML velocity but have secondary pitches and command. If a hitter gets to AAA, usually he can handle a ML FB, it's learning to recognize and hit (or not swing) at curves, sliders and changeups that's the key to ML success.

Pitchers need that year of AAA ball to refine their secondary stuff, pitching prospects for the most part have ML FBs, but lack command or secondary pitches they can throw for strikes (and the consistency not to hand curves or sliders over the middle of the plate belt high). It's a lot easier to throw changeups to hitters who'll miss them when you don't locate or signal your pitch through a change in arm speed. In the Show, those mistakes tend to travel "federal express."

So it's a good thing the Phillies aren't rushing guys, you can see watching Thompson and Pivetta that they're not major league ready, and Hoskins only has 100 or so AAA PA - look at Joseph's struggles because he missed 1000 PA due to those concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce