OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2017 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Which kind of throws a wrench because Kingery looks legit down in AA already. Not sure what you do here, trade one of them if Kingery gets closer?

Too many good players at a position is a good thing..

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Too many good players at a position is a good thing..

It's a great thing. Kingery has a way to go, plus Hernandez still technically hasn't put together 1 whole good season, he was awesome the 2nd half of last year and is awesome the start of this year, lets see if its consistent. Everybody said he got a lot stronger, which has helped really hit the ball hard.

What makes this crazy is that Crawford has struggled so bad. Everybody felt like they had that SS spot all good to go, Crawford looks to be very far away from the MLB

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
http://amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20477077/mlb_rumors_could_phillies_sign_both_bryce_harper_a.amp

I know its a pipe dream thatd they land both (then again, so was halladay, lee, hamels, oswalt)...but can you imagine this line up in 2019?

Herrera - 2B
Crawford - SS
Machado -3B
Harper - RF
Franco - 1B
Williams - LF
Alfaro - C
Moniak -CF

It would be unreal. Even if they just land Machado...they could be a real force in 2019.

It's certainly a possibility that they sign one or both. With the young talent they have in the field, along with guys who fit the profile of 3-5 starters, two superstars would vault them right back into the mix. And it's a huge baseball market when the team is showing any semblance of life. We should be able to offer more money than just about any other big market team.

Regarding the lineup you have above, Herrera would either be in left field or traded for pitching help. I don't have much faith in Williams either. But you have some serious trade chips in the system between guys like Franco, Herrera, Hernandez/Kingery/Valentin(?) who can help bring in higher end pitching talent.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Which kind of throws a wrench because Kingery looks legit down in AA already. Not sure what you do here, trade one of them if Kingery gets closer?

Baseball is so fickle that it is too hard to tell. Kingery is about five years younger and may not be MLB ready for another 2-3 years so this discussion can very easily be different in a couple years. Hernandez may flop or Kingery may surge. I think baseball is easily the hardest sport to project prospects. In hockey you've got a pretty good sense that a guy will be an NHL regular within 2-3 years of being drafted. In baseball guys come out of nowhere and guys fizzle all the time. Long story short, I think it all depends on who is available and who is offered via trade. Hernandez is about to turn 27, so while he may be here for the next couple years, I'm not exactly sure I'd say he's the future. If someone wants to trade something of value for him, I'd do it. If Kingery doesn't pan out, oh well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's a great thing. Kingery has a way to go, plus Hernandez still technically hasn't put together 1 whole good season, he was awesome the 2nd half of last year and is awesome the start of this year, lets see if its consistent. Everybody said he got a lot stronger, which has helped really hit the ball hard.

What makes this crazy is that Crawford has struggled so bad. Everybody felt like they had that SS spot all good to go, Crawford looks to be very far away from the MLB

I'm sure Crawford will get it together. He has all of the tools.

My question is, does it seem like the Phillies are extremely slow in graduating prospects, or is it me? I don't follow baseball like a follow hockey so I don't know what the norm is with regards to prospect development. Crawford is now in his 5th season in the minors, for instance.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

My question is, does it seem like the Phillies are extremely slow in graduating prospects, or is it me? I don't follow baseball like a follow hockey so I don't know what the norm is with regards to prospect development. Crawford is now in his 5th season in the minors, for instance.

Historically yes, they have been.

But Nola was up in a year or so. Crawford I think is still only around 22-23. But yea, they slow roast their prospects

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

Unfortunately, quite a few of the prospects who are considered top 5/10 in all of baseball will end up being nobodies because of the difference between the competition levels of High-A or AA up to the majors. Dom Brown is a perfect example.

In relation to the question above, I wouldn't say that they necessarily are waiting any longer with their prospects than others. Because so many guys get drafted out of high school, it's difficult to compare them with guys who are getting drafted at 21 and have played in the NCAA, and then you've also got the guys who come from the Caribbean who can come in from as young as 15/16 years old. You've also got guys who play positions that need more time before they can come up and play at a high enough level defensively (i.e. middle infield, catcher). Pitchers rarely come up early because of issues with command, pitch count, pitch disparity, experience, etc.

Having anybody come up to the bigs before they're about 22/23 in baseball is pretty uncommon.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Unfortunately, quite a few of the prospects who are considered top 5/10 in all of baseball will end up being nobodies because of the difference between the competition levels of High-A or AA up to the majors. Dom Brown is a perfect example.

In relation to the question above, I wouldn't say that they necessarily are waiting any longer with their prospects than others. Because so many guys get drafted out of high school, it's difficult to compare them with guys who are getting drafted at 21 and have played in the NCAA, and then you've also got the guys who come from the Caribbean who can come in from as young as 15/16 years old. You've also got guys who play positions that need more time before they can come up and play at a high enough level defensively (i.e. middle infield, catcher). Pitchers rarely come up early because of issues with command, pitch count, pitch disparity, experience, etc.

Having anybody come up to the bigs before they're about 22/23 in baseball is pretty uncommon.

Brown was an all-hit prospect. He was a bust because the hitting didn't translate. Crawford is an excellent SS. Even if he's worse with the bat than expected, he's going to be a serviceable MLB player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Eric Thames got tested twice in the last week for PED's, 8 of his 11 homers this year are off the Reds. :laugh:

Chris Coghlan with the Willie Mays Hayes slide in Major League 2.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Eric Thames got tested twice in the last week for PED's, 8 of his 11 homers this year are off the Reds. :laugh:

Chris Coghlan with the Willie Mays Hayes slide in Major League 2.

Well the 8 of 11 homers off 1 team usually screams unsustainable.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This Phillies squad is nothing if not resilient

That is a trait that is very hard to spot and very hard to obtain.

The 07-10 Phillies squad was the same way, that game was never over until the last out was made, I remember countless games in 07 & 08 where they came back in the 7-8-9, made every game unbelievable.

I'm glad they are looking like a solid team.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
if they get out of April over .500 then I'd consider it a very successful month considering the schedule. they could have really put themselves in a hole but are really taking care of business against weaker teams. good to see that. they are s resilient bunch which is essential to future success and it's really masking the bullpen struggles.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The next 15 or so are unbelievable. If they can come out of this around .500 it would be a miracle.

The pitching will need to hold up strong.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
You know I was really having a good night until watching this

Pete should have removed Neris after the second bomb..and those weren't cheap HR's he gave up..they were all moon shots

also..thought Franco's big thing was he was a great defender...he hasn't really impressed me

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Pete should have removed Neris after the second bomb..and those weren't cheap HR's he gave up..they were all moon shots

also..thought Franco's big thing was he was a great defender...he hasn't really impressed me

A good third baseman makes that play easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad