OT: Philadelphia Flyers vs Philly Media/Journalists

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
It's pretty dishonest to act like because right now Kimmo is old and Rosehill is on the roster that the Flyers have been stacked with goons and old defensemen for the last 10 years. Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros all played big roles during that time and up till 2013 Kimmo never played like his age.
The Flyers have likely had 20-25 defenseman on the roster since the lockout and I'd be shocked if more than 7-8 of them would be defined as 'good skaters'.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Honestly I think I place fans crying about the media being too hard on their players in the same category of fans crying about the refs being "against" the Flyers.

Do I think the Philadelphia sports media as a whole is worth celebrating? Not really. When it comes to hockey I think there's multiple factors.

#1)Even from so-called "hockey guys" there's a lot of stupidity and not knowing of the rules. I listened to both Al Morganti and Timmy P on CSN say actually address a question about whether the Flyers would call Scott Laughton back to the team now that there's been a coaching change.

Shouldn't that question take 10 seconds to answer? "A player once returned to the CHL can not return until their CHL team's season is completed." I didn't hear that from either one.

#2)I personally believe a large number of the media is irked by the insular almost cultish type behavior of Flyer's fans when it comes to siding with the organization. Eagles fans rip into the Eagles, Phillies fans rip into the Phillies, Sixers fans rip into the Sixers... but a huge portion of the Flyers fanbase just kinda goes along with what the franchise tells them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Snider. He's old, possibly senile, and needs to step aside for the good of the team. He's good a tremendous amount of good for the city and for the hockey team, but that's not going to help them in the future. His comment about the team not needing a change in culture is craziness.

They have 36 playoff wins since the salary cap has come into effect. The Bruins have 52. The Penguins have 51. The Red Wings have 63. The Blackhawks have 46, and were terrible coming out of the lockout.

The Flyers aren't an elite franchise anymore, and that is because for the last decade, Snider has gone insane and interferes way too much in a league he doesn't understand anymore.

Last 4 seasons:
Philly has won 5 series
Detroit has won 3 series
Pitt has won 3 series
Boston and Chicago have been the class of the NHL the past 4 years

Just sayin'

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Last 4 seasons:
Philly has won 5 series
Detroit has won 3 series
Pitt has won 3 series
Boston and Chicago have been the class of the NHL the past 4 years

Just sayin'
Nice cherry picking. 3 seasons ago and 5 seasons ago the Flyers are behind both of them.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Nice cherry picking. 3 seasons ago and 5 seasons ago the Flyers are behind both of them.

Not to mention they also both have Cups in recent years, are rarely as disappointing as our team is, are currently playing far better then our team, and as far as Pittsburgh goes they have the two best players in the world on their team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly I think I place fans crying about the media being too hard on their players in the same category of fans crying about the refs being "against" the Flyers.

Do I think the Philadelphia sports media as a whole is worth celebrating? Not really. When it comes to hockey I think there's multiple factors.

#1)Even from so-called "hockey guys" there's a lot of stupidity and not knowing of the rules. I listened to both Al Morganti and Timmy P on CSN say actually address a question about whether the Flyers would call Scott Laughton back to the team now that there's been a coaching change.

Shouldn't that question take 10 seconds to answer? "A player once returned to the CHL can not return until their CHL team's season is completed." I didn't hear that from either one.

#2)I personally believe a large number of the media is irked by the insular almost cultish type behavior of Flyer's fans when it comes to siding with the organization. Eagles fans rip into the Eagles, Phillies fans rip into the Phillies, Sixers fans rip into the Sixers... but a huge portion of the Flyers fanbase just kinda goes along with what the franchise tells them.

I don't think many people (at least on here) get defensive that the media rips players. It's just that they usually try to rip them with TMZ like gossip that none of them can prove. If they ripped a player for their on the ice performance & had stuff to back up their claims then most would probably agree but you can't expect many of them to write an article like that because most of them don't really know anything about the sport they cover.

As for your second point I'm curious to see if that would change if the Flyers spent multiple years in the bottom of the league. All those others teams have had stretches where they were really terrible for multiple years as well. The Eagles sell out regardless because Football is king in America, the other two don't sell out when their bad though. I guess my question would be if the Flyers where to hit a really bad stretch would they lose some of their loyalty amongst the fans?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think many people (at least on here) get defensive that the media rips players. It's just that they usually try to rip them with TMZ like gossip that none of them can prove. If they ripped a player for their on the ice performance & had stuff to back up their claims then most would probably agree but you can't expect many of them to write an article like that because most of them don't really know anything about the sport they cover.

As for your second point I'm curious to see if that would change if the Flyers spent multiple years in the bottom of the league. All those others teams have had stretches where they were really terrible for multiple years as well. The Eagles sell out regardless because Football is king in America, the other two don't sell out when their bad though. I guess my question would be if the Flyers where to hit a really bad stretch would they lose some of their loyalty amongst the fans?

Those fans don't have much loyalty to begin with if they jump ship at the first sight of trouble. That's what a fairweather fan is. Hell, that's really what most of the Phillies fans used to be during their contending seasons.

I don't care if we lose fairweather fans if it means success or a Cup. I'm not advocating we lose, but it's arguable that this constant "win-now" mindset can be detrimental to winning in the long run. Never willing to go through a conventional rebuild. Not saying it's right or wrong either way, just saying the argument can be made.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Those fans don't have much loyalty to begin with if they jump ship at the first sight of trouble. That's what a fairweather fan is. Hell, that's really what most of the Phillies fans used to be during their contending seasons.

I don't care if we lose fairweather fans if it means success or a Cup. I'm not advocating we lose, but it's arguable that this constant "win-now" mindset can be detrimental to winning in the long run. Never willing to go through a conventional rebuild. Not saying it's right or wrong either way, just saying the argument can be made.

I'm not arguing either way I just brought the question up.

I think some just don't want to hear anything that shed's Snider in a negative way because off his past accomplishments. The older crowd gives him an automatic pass, I would say the younger crowd is kind of split, & then there's people that just don't really care either way.

It is what it is, I'm sure it's the same way down in Dallas with Jerry Jones.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011

#1)Even from so-called "hockey guydon't se's a lot of stupidity and not knowing of the rules. I listened to both Al Morganti and Timmy P on CSN say actually address a question about whether the Flyers would call Scott Laughton back to the team now that there's been a coaching change.

Well in the end it doesn't effect me it's just most of them spew garbage for attention. Like you said they usually don't have knowledge about hockey. The only stuff that gets on my nerves us when they take shots at players like the Richie situation with Timmy P i lost all respect for Timmy P and when i see other media looking for drama and attention i feel the same.

I dont see the cult type behavior. Most Flyer fans call it like it is. We wanted Lavy fired and we're on Girouxs ass...nobody gives the Flyers a free pass. If they don't turn it around we'll want trades and there's already a thread to have Homer fired. There's people on everybody's ass from the owner to gm to the best player...but the Flyers get a free pass.

You could honestly say the media is more of a cult they mostly all suck but still find a way back to csn.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not arguing either way I just brought the question up.

I think some just don't want to hear anything that shed's Snider in a negative way because off his past accomplishments. The older crowd gives him an automatic pass, I would say the younger crowd is kind of split, & then there's people that just don't really care either way.

It is what it is, I'm sure it's the same way down in Dallas with Jerry Jones.

We owe the existence of the Flyers largely to Snider and older fans have that as well as two Cups to be grateful for as well as some legendary players like Lindros, Clarke, Parent, Lindbergh, and the whole BSB meanwhile younger guys like me have not much in the way to be grateful for besides a winning record in the regular season most of the time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The problem with them not having knowledge of hockey, is that the average fan who also doesn't know anything relies on them for guidance to form their own opinions. So these guys are only making the fanbase dumber.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And then you get cesspool of ignorance that is the Flyers facebook page.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Well that makes up the majority that would walk away if the Flyers got really bad for a while. A lot of them frequent Flyers games as well. Everybody's sat next to them, the type of people who try to make some random plug on the team seem like some superstar.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

I post on there to try to counter act the stupidity of some of the posts that are on there. I try to direct people to this site and another site (hint: O&B) to look for real people who really know hockey, not hacks who work for a national publication that don't know ***** from shinola with regards to hockey.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Writer's have to overreact, create controversy, and speculate. Really sports jounalism is such a needless thing. There use to be beat writers for teams that would get really friendly with the team and write a few articles a week. Now these journalist are suppose to compete with the blogs, websites, and bleacher report nonsense out-there. These news outlets are really the lowest common denominator when it comes to journalistic integrity and credibility ( hence carter sleeps with hartnells wife). Yet these news outlets have gained huge followings and have become actual economic threats to sports journalism.

So these sports journalist have begun to create the headlines, stir the pot and create controversy and be in the thick of it, in order to to increase their "hits" and viewership. These type of things are happening in many areas of journalism but now I'm just focusing on sports journalism.

It is really sad how low people will stoop to gain more twitter followers or more subscribers to their newsletter etc etc, but in the end if their wasn't a market for it , then no one would be intrested in it. But people eat this stuff up as much as they do that reality tv fake drama. Its a flaw within the psyche of humans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad