OT: Philadelphia Flyers vs Philly Media/Journalists

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
It seems like this is inching towards something potentially ugly (if it already isn't).

Here we can talk about the ongoing feud between the Flyers and the Philly media.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
We were reaching a gentlemanly climax in the other two threads and now this...:laugh:

BTW... I believe Mike Sielski is Tim Panaccio's Manchurian Candidate....

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How can you not like these guys?

Screen-Shot-2013-06-25-at-1.41.33-PM.png

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The best distraction..albeit pathetic and creepy...would be to start posting their opinions of Sarah Baicker's looks :sarcasm:

But seriously..any way to move some of those posts in the other two threads over to this one? Good initial context....and will clean up the derailment.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Easiest way to direct attention off of a young captain feeling the pressure is for people to focus on someone else. chief has the spotlight right now and is going to do what he can to stay the story.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The guy has the right to ask whatever questions he wants and write whatever he wants. But if he's going to try and make people look stupid, he deserves responses like the ones he's gotten

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
How can you not like these guys?

Screen-Shot-2013-06-25-at-1.41.33-PM.png

You can tell by this picture that they all played hockey when they were younger and have extensive knowledge of the sport. It's hard not to love them :sarcasm:

Most of Philly media is a bunch of idiots so I hope the Flyers keep calling them out.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
You can tell by this picture that they all played hockey when they were younger and have extensive knowledge of the sport. It's hard not to love them :sarcasm:

Most of Philly media is a bunch of idiots so I hope the Flyers keep calling them out.
It's not the media that needs calling out. It's the Flyers for 4 decades of failure.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
It's not the media that needs calling out. It's the Flyers for 4 decades of failure.

If that's how you look at it...cool! Because the Flyers didn't come close to winning the Cup multiple times in those 40 years and have good teams. Nope just "4 decades of failure".

People who blame the Flyers are clueless Snider gave this city a hockey team and a consistently good one for my lifetime. They've had some great teams and with a few bounces they might have got a 3rd Cup. The ultimate goal is the Cup but it comes down to some luck and the Flyers haven't had it.

I just want to be clear who do you think needs to be called out?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If that's how you look at it...cool! Because the Flyers didn't come close to winning the Cup multiple times in those 40 years and have good teams. Nope just "4 decades of failure".

People who blame the Flyers are clueless Snider gave this city a hockey team and a consistently good one for my lifetime. They've had some great teams and with a few bounces they might have got a 3rd Cup. The ultimate goal is the Cup but it comes down to some luck and the Flyers haven't had it. This

I just want to be clear who do you think needs to be called

I wouldn't call it "4 decades of failure", that's a little too extreme but yeah we need a Cup soon.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
I wouldn't call it "4 decades of failure", that's a little too extreme but yeah we need a Cup soon.

I agree I just look at the organization and think they're doing everything they can to make it happen. Have they made the right moves? Or should they build slowly like other teams? I don't know. It's easy to find mistakes in hindsight but you can't deny they want to win and have been competitive with their strategy.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA

People who blame the Flyers are clueless Snider gave this city a hockey team and a consistently good one for my lifetime. They've had some great teams and with a few bounces they might have got a 3rd Cup. The ultimate goal is the Cup but it comes down to some luck and the Flyers haven't had it.

Snider. He's old, possibly senile, and needs to step aside for the good of the team. He's good a tremendous amount of good for the city and for the hockey team, but that's not going to help them in the future. His comment about the team not needing a change in culture is craziness.

They have 36 playoff wins since the salary cap has come into effect. The Bruins have 52. The Penguins have 51. The Red Wings have 63. The Blackhawks have 46, and were terrible coming out of the lockout.

The Flyers aren't an elite franchise anymore, and that is because for the last decade, Snider has gone insane and interferes way too much in a league he doesn't understand anymore.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why is the salary cap era the arbitrary distinction? Chicago and Pittsburgh benefitted from years and years of missing the playoffs and high draft picks.

Your claims of Huge Snider interference aren't supported by any evidence. It's just a convenient excuse to tell yourself to hide from the fact that winning a Cup is extremely hard.

Last edited:

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Why is the salary cap era the arbitrary distinction? Chicago and Pittsburgh benefitted from years and years of missing the playoffs and high draft picks.

Your claims of Huge Snider interference aren't supported by any evidence. It's just a convenient excuse to tell yourself to hide from the fact that winning a Cup is extremely hard.
Because the sport changed coming out of the first lockout, and the Flyers didn't change with it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Of course they did. That's why they were one of the best teams in the league for seasons three thru seven out of eight total seasons played between lockouts.

The Stevens/Lavi Flyers were nothing like the 90s teams or Hitchcock's squads.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

40 years is a hell of a lot of hindsight. Hard to make excuses after a certain point.

Blanketing it as all failure is extreme, but it's definitely a massive disappointment to not have another one by now to say the very least.

Far from arbitrary. Pre salary cap and post salary cap are vastly different and the salary cap is still in effect today.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Of course they did. That's why they were one of the best teams in the league for seasons three thru seven out of eight total seasons played between lockouts.

The Stevens/Lavi Flyers were nothing like the 90s teams or Hitchcock's squads.
They've never really adapted. They still have a big old slow defense. They still have multiple goons on the roster.

And seasons 3 through 7 they finished 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd in their 5 team division, and the year they finished 1st they got swept in the 2nd round.

The 2010 run was fun, but it was a distraction from the fact that this team has become a mediocre also-ran since the lockout.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's hard to deny that compared to some of the Cup winning teams and top teams in recent history the Flyers have been far from successful. Especially with playoff victories.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
And don't forget ... 14 of those 36 playoff wins were a shootout from not even happening.

If you include that with the fact that we came back from 0-3 against Boston that playoffs we were extremely close and lucky to not having all that happen.

Before anyone argues that, just remember that if you argue that we were "just some back luck or bounces" away from winning the Cup a few times you can't pick and choose and say that we weren't some bad luck or bounces away from not even making the playoffs that season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's pretty dishonest to act like because right now Kimmo is old and Rosehill is on the roster that the Flyers have been stacked with goons and old defensemen for the last 10 years. Carle, Coburn, and Meszaros all played big roles during that time and up till 2013 Kimmo never played like his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad