OT: Philadelphia Eagles: Training Camp and Beyond (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Cut the guy who didn't actually break the law.

Keep the guys who did break the law.

Dallas Cowboys for you.

Lucky had no shot to make the team this year plus there is way more going on behind the scenes than we know about. What always gets me is the eagle fans hate the cowboys because they are envious of their success. What really gets me is that dam Jerry Jones buys a team for way under 200 million wins three super bowls and turns them into the most valued franchise in any sport in the world:shakehead Go Figure.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lucky had no shot to make the team this year plus there is way more going on behind the scenes than we know about. What always gets me is the eagle fans hate the cowboys because they are envious of their success. What really gets me is that dam Jerry Jones buys a team for way under 200 million wins three super bowls and turns them into the most valued franchise in any sport in the world:shakehead Go Figure.

Uh, we hate the Cowboys because people like to act like they're successful. In the last 20 years they're on equal footing as the Jacksonville Jaguars. Really impressive. The other reason we hate the Cowboys are all of the fake Cowboys fans in this city that have never even been to Dallas.

And there's more going on behind the scenes? The police dropped the charges and admitted that they had the wrong guy. Just admit your team supports ******** as long as they can play football. Good thing Garrett admitted to the media that he called Whiteside a liar. Yet Jones defends Elliott saying there's no evidence of him doing ANYTHING wrong.

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Eagles great Marcus Smith was cut.

Andy Reid where are you? Lurie has no clue who to put in charge of his team. As a owner he is just sitting back and making big bucks. Meanwhile the last two guys he hired Chip and Doug both suck as head coaches. Chip is laughing all the way to the bank after he screwed up two teams. Marcus is a great example:rant:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Andy Reid where are you? Lurie has no clue who to put in charge of his team. As a owner he is just sitting back and making big bucks. Meanwhile the last two guys he hired Chip and Doug both suck as head coaches. Chip is laughing all the way to the bank after he screwed up two teams. Marcus is a great example:rant:

This I'll agree with (minus the Chip stuff :laugh:)

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Uh, we hate the Cowboys because people like to act like they're successful. In the last 20 years they're on equal footing as the Jacksonville Jaguars. Really impressive. The other reason we hate the Cowboys are all of the fake Cowboys fans in this city that have never even been to Dallas.

And there's more going on behind the scenes? The police dropped the charges and admitted that they had the wrong guy. Just admit your team supports ******** as long as they can play football. Good thing Garrett admitted to the media that he called Whiteside a liar. Yet Jones defends Elliott saying there's no evidence of him doing ANYTHING wrong.

Heck yes I agree with you about lucky vs Elliot. If you are going to screw up you better be able to play cause if you are a bottom feeder your gone. Let's face it there are 90 guys fighting for 53 spots so you better be able to do the job. There are fake fans everywhere. When Green Bay was doing well that is all I saw around here was Green Bay jerseys. Is it true that only 40% of NFL fans in our area are Eagle fans while 60% root for other teams:shakehead Or is that fake news like CNN?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Heck yes I agree with you about lucky vs Elliot. If you are going to screw up you better be able to play cause if you are a bottom feeder your gone. Let's face it there are 90 guys fighting for 53 spots so you better be able to do the job. There are fake fans everywhere. When Green Bay was doing well that is all I saw around here was Green Bay jerseys. Is it true that only 40% of NFL fans in our area are Eagle fans while 60% root for other teams:shakehead Or is that fake news like CNN?

Seems like pretty fake news to me.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010

While I do not like the Cowboys I have to ask this. Why does a person need to be to a city to be a fan of a team? By your definition I am a fake Eagles fan because I have never been to Philly. If you have a gripe because of people being fans while having not been to that city then that is just you looking for a reason to dislike them.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
While I do not like the Cowboys I have to ask this. Why does a person need to be to a city to be a fan of a team? By your definition I am a fake Eagles fan because I have never been to Philly. If you have a gripe because of people being fans while having not been to that city then that is just you looking for a reason to dislike them.

If you are a Cowboys fan from Philadelphia it's because you are a frontrunner from the 90s. Being a frontrunner is so anti-Philadelphia it's not even funny. Fans in Philly live and die by their sports teams. If you live in or around the city and you aren't a fan of the teams here you're fake.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I agree.

Also, there isn't a 100%, knock down, drag out argument for supporting a particular sports team. As in, you MUST choose this one because of capital R Reason, but of the arbitrary options for doing so, going local makes sense. Supports your region, gets you involved in the city, brings you closer to friends and family more easily (because everyone is on the same "sports page"), supports the local radio/tv industry, shrinks down the amount of sports news (can't report on every team as NBC Philly), and so forth.

If I'm from Philadelphia and I choose to select the Alaskan Snow Pirates, that seems friggen weird. The people that do that often double-down on supporting those teams too.

Because it isn't 100%-- that's why many people "allow" for special dispensation for supporting out of market teams. Like if your dead father was a Giants fan and that's all you watched -- okay, we get it.

But, ceteris paribus, if there isn't an outlier, you should probably support the city whose circle you're in. It brings a city together, rather than having 1 more reason to divide people.

There are actually some decent moral arguments for supporting local everything (basically, you can't save the entire world, nor can you accept responsibility for the woes of the entire world, but you CAN try to make your local area better, give it local support, and if EVERYONE was supporting locally, the benefit would be global as a nice secondary effect).

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

There's a large difference (at least to me) between the Cowboys fans in this area and in the general sense someone being a fan of a team from a city they've never been to.

The Cowboys fans in this city are a whole other class of jabroni.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I agree.

Also, there isn't a 100%, knock down, drag out argument for supporting a particular sports team. As in, you MUST choose this one because of capital R Reason, but of the arbitrary options for doing so, going local makes sense. Supports your region, gets you involved in the city, brings you closer to friends and family more easily (because everyone is on the same "sports page"), supports the local radio/tv industry, shrinks down the amount of sports news (can't report on every team as NBC Philly), and so forth.

If I'm from Philadelphia and I choose to select the Alaskan Snow Pirates, that seems friggen weird. The people that do that often double-down on supporting those teams too.

Because it isn't 100%-- that's why many people "allow" for special dispensation for supporting out of market teams. Like if your dead father was a Giants fan and that's all you watched -- okay, we get it.

But, ceteris paribus, if there isn't an outlier, you should probably support the city whose circle you're in. It brings a city together, rather than having 1 more reason to divide people.

There are actually some decent moral arguments for supporting local everything (basically, you can't save the entire world, nor can you accept responsibility for the woes of the entire world, but you CAN try to make your local area better, give it local support, and if EVERYONE was supporting locally, the benefit would be global as a nice secondary effect).

A lot of it just has to do with what you were doing as a kid. Most people will follow the favorite team of their parents (usually the dad, maybe an uncle). When I was a wee lad, I will admit that I was a Cowboys fan. The reason? My godmother moved to Dallas and started sending me Cowboys gear. At the time it was just because I was a kid and someone was sending me hats and jerseys so I said my favorite player was Troy Aikman because I had his jersey. I had some sense knocked into me when I was in about sixth grade and my friend's dad was picking me up for something and I walked outside in a Cowboys jacket. He said he wouldn't let me in the car with it on. We thought he was joking but he actually made me take the jacket off. And that's the last time I wore a Cowboys anything.

If someone sent my son a Cowboys jersey it would go immediately in the trash, but some people are not as passionate about these things. Could also just be that the team is getting a lot of media attention and you don't have a sports "role model" in your family so you just gravitate toward what you see on TV/internet.

I don't have a problem with it if you like the Cowboys and aren't from Dallas or never been there, I just have a problem if you like the Cowboys in general. The reasons don't matter to me.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It's beat in general to just choose your favorite team. And i know a lot of people here are probably Flyers fans from Canada maybe going back to the 70's. I don't mean to single out any individual person - maybe there are some legitimate reasons they end up with the team they are rooting for.

But generally, I feel that it's unfair to the rest of us that suffer in this region following these 4 teams. Oh how convenient, you are a Packers fan when you grew up as a kid with the late 90's and early 2000's Brett Favre teams. Ditto the similar aged Cowboys fans or the older Dolphins fans from the Marino era. Get outta here. That's BS.

Anyone that doesn't choose their team but has their team choose them is a true fan.

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
It's beat in general to just choose your favorite team. And i know a lot of people here are probably Flyers fans from Canada maybe going back to the 70's. I don't mean to single out any individual person - maybe there are some legitimate reasons they end up with the team they are rooting for.

But generally, I feel that it's unfair to the rest of us that suffer in this region following these 4 teams. Oh how convenient, you are a Packers fan when you grew up as a kid with the late 90's and early 2000's Brett Favre teams. Ditto the similar aged Cowboys fans or the older Dolphins fans from the Marino era. Get outta here. That's BS.

Anyone that doesn't choose their team but has their team choose them is a true fan.

Very true. Becoming a fan of a team at its highest point is very different from suffering through the low points and reaching the light at the end of the tunnel. There's a certain factor of "earning it" that isn't there when you hop on the bandwagon.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
this it hot garbage
fans are fans, doesn't matter how you got there and it certainly doesn't matter to the faceless corporation that owns the team whose loyalty is to the $ and nothing else

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

That's dumb. You're a ten year old kid that knows nothing about sports, history, whatever but wants to get into a sport. How do you choose? You think a ten year old kid should do some research and learn the ins and outs of a team? That's ridiculous. He's going to go with what his parents/family like or his friends like (likely because their parents/family like them) or if they don't really care about it he's going to go along with whomever is getting the most media attention or has the best year or something like that. Could be the hometown team. Could be the front-runner team. Could be that he likes a logo. Could be that he likes the name. Could be a player on the team was a guest on a TV show he liked. All perfectly acceptable.

**** I read my son a book called "Goodnight, Scarlet Knight" almost every night before bed so that he grows up to be a Rutgers fan and wants to go to school there (also dress him in Phillies/Flyers gear all the time). Nothing wrong with him growing up and liking Rutgers and Philly teams because I introduced it to him at a young age, and nothing wrong with him growing up and liking a different school/team for any other reason. I won't be happy if he likes the Devils or Rangers, but I won't question his fandom or anything like the.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I can't wait to see what Carroll does with Marcus Smith. :laugh:

I couldn't agree more with this. I chose the Philadelphia teams to be part of the local community. Now maybe it's different for kids with the shrunken online globe -- maybe I would have been a Hawks and Chargers fan growing up because my favorite athletes were Dominique Wilkins and Junior Seau, but I doubt it. I played Gladiators hockey at The Colosseum where the Flyers practiced. I sat in Section 652 at the Vet surrounded by the same people for every Eagles home game. Those communities are what meaningfully shaped my fandom for years to come.

On a related note, it drives me nuts when people do the "if you weren't on the bandwagon from day one, you're not allowed on now" spiel. When it comes to the Sixers, we get to be right and that should be enough. Who the hell wants to go to a parade with a couple thousand people? It should be something the entire city gets to enjoy together

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I can't wait to see what Carroll does with Marcus Smith. :laugh:

I couldn't agree more with this. I chose the Philadelphia teams to be part of the local community. Now maybe it's different for kids with the shrunken online globe -- maybe I would have been a Hawks and Chargers fan growing up because my favorite athletes were Dominique Wilkins and Junior Seau, but I doubt it. I played Gladiators hockey at The Colosseum where the Flyers practiced. I sat in Section 652 at the Vet surrounded by the same people for every Eagles home game. Those communities are what meaningfully shaped my fandom for years to come.

On a related note, it drives me nuts when people do the "if you weren't on the bandwagon from day one, you're not allowed on now" spiel. When it comes to the Sixers, we get to be right and that should be enough. Who the hell wants to go to a parade with a couple thousand people? It should be something the entire city gets to enjoy together

I think when people say this, it applies to all NBA fans. The people that cheer for whatever team LeBron plays for, the people who **** on us for years for being terrible. They don't want anyone that didn't go through the The Process to enjoy what's coming next.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Growing up i never really had an idol in sports. I just chose a team and stuck with them. I had a lot of family in South Philly and even though i was born in Montreal, we would travel down every spring break to visit them (spring break in balmy philly lol). My first hockey game i ever went to was at the Spectrum in 1984. Ive never gone to a Habs game that didn't involve the Flyers and to this day i still hate the Habs with a strong passion. Unfortunately the family i had in South Philly and South Jersey have passed on but i still make my way down every 2 years to catch a Flyers/Eagles game which i am also a die hard fan of.

Admittedly, i was a huge Expos fan but i don't feel that sense of community here when it comes to the Habs like i did with the Expos. It might be a french/english thing since i'm an anglophone and always considered the Expos more english and the Habs more french.

I only have one Uncle who is a Habs fan, the rest are Bruins and Blackhawks fans (old school fans).

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

illK6U.gif

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
My pops is the BIGGEST front runner and i have no clue how!! Im a die hard philly everything fan (joe sakic was hands down my favorite nhl player though, baseball i loved griffey jr, and of course i loved a.i)however growing up my dad supported the yankees, the cowboys, the Canadians, and the celtics.....**** like that is what pisses me off and then they claim im not a bandwagon fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad