OT: Philadelphia Eagles: This is the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
@JojoTheWhale

I watched some tape of his and I hated the pick the moment it was made. He couldn't outrun most college CBs and that obviously only got worse in the NFL and I didn't believe that the type of jumpballs he won and how he won them in college would translate to the big show against way faster and bigger CBs...

That said. This wasn't even mainly about JJAW. IMO the Eagles as a whole are getting too slow and old. We desperately needed to increase our team speed on all levels. Thats why that pick really hurt.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Antonio Brown to the rescue!

....then sign Kaep to backup Wentz.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale
I watched some tape of his and I hated the pick the moment it was made. He couldn't outrun most college CBs and that obviously only got worse in the NFL and I didn't believe that the type of jumpballs he won and how he won them in college would translate to the big show against way faster and bigger CBs...

That said. This wasn't even mainly about JJAW. IMO the Eagles as a whole are getting too slow and old. We desperately needed to increase our team speed on all levels. Thats why that pick really hurt.

It's not about the jump balls, nor speed. These are all just fulcrums for how you win. He was a medium range and red zone weapon because of his size and body control. None of the changes in his play have anything to do with improved talent against him. He personally fell apart. If he played this way at Stanford, he wouldn't have produced there either.

Now if you want to tell me his upside was limited because of it, sure. But the thing is, so was Metcalf's. It's easy to go back and see that I've been saying this since before the draft. Metcalf is never going to be a WR1. He's a limited deep threat who was made to step in and produce on a limited basis without much upside beyond that. I would have picked him too, but he's never going to be appreciably better than he is today.

If you wanted an upside pick with the actual ability to be a high volume WR1, your only reasonable shot was AJ Brown. If you thought he could play outside, he should have been a top 15-20 pick on your board with zero excuse.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Sorry your dreams got crushed too. Probably my contagious failure curse.
tumblr_nzso8zELpw1ue0yzzo1_400.gifv

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's not about the jump balls, nor speed. These are all just fulcrums for how you win. He was a medium range and red zone weapon because of his size and body control. None of the changes in his play have anything to do with improved talent against him. He personally fell apart. If he played this way at Stanford, he wouldn't have produced there either.

Now if you want to tell me his upside was limited because of it, sure. But the thing is, so was Metcalf's. It's easy to go back and see that I've been saying this since before the draft. Metcalf is never going to be a WR1. He's a limited deep threat who was made to step in and produce on a limited basis without much upside beyond that. I would have picked him too, but he's never going to be appreciably better than he is today.

If you wanted an upside pick with the actual ability to be a high volume WR1, your only reasonable shot was AJ Brown. If you thought he could play outside, he should have been a top 15-20 pick on your board with zero excuse.

My point is that IMO he was a bad pick in general at that spot and a godawful and horrible pick for the Eagles especially. I pegged him for a bust as a prospect and a horrible fit for the Eagles. We needed to improve our team speed and went for a limited red zone target receiver.

Can't argue with you about Brown but I think you are selling Metcalf a bit short. The whole scouting community just overreacted on him which lead to a massive drop. He probably won't ever be a franchise WR1 but a guy that put up 160 in his playoff debut certainly is more than a limited deep threat IMO even though it was against the Eagles CB.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
So draft all perimeter players? CB, S, DE, WR? Two of each?
WR is deep talent. DE is not.

I think our safteys if they return are still serviceable. A TOP CB, would make some difference...guys like mills look better not as the #1.

We need OL help too. We really have needs at almost every position.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So draft all perimeter players? CB, S, DE, WR? Two of each?

I wouldn't say no to a Hicks replacement either, but completely agreed.

Setting aside the indefensible Thorson pick because I do like that they took a shot on a QB, I think they largely fell into a trap of having bodies who weren't necessarily particularly good and counting on them. One would think the injuries neutralize that approach to some degree.

As far as Safety goes, Howie has openly said he doesn't evaluate the position well in college a few years back. Unfortunately, he probably just signs another vet. Especially after completely passing on last year's class. Sigh.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Don’t even mind losing.

I think the narrative for Wentz and Clowney is embarrassing.

clowney is the ultimate warrior, Wentz is injury prone, when one of them committed the worst in months

Reactions: bennysflyers16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad