OT: Philadelphia Eagles: This is the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I wouldn't say no to a Hicks replacement either, but completely agreed.

Setting aside the indefensible Thorson pick because I do like that they took a shot on a QB, I think they largely fell into a trap of having bodies who weren't necessarily particularly good and counting on them. One would think the injuries neutralize that approach to some degree.

As far as Safety goes, Howie has openly said he doesn't evaluate the position well in college a few years back. Unfortunately, he probably just signs another vet. Especially after completely passing on last year's class. Sigh.

What do you think about the state of the offensive and defensive lines?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
WIP hot take: trade Ertz.

Goedert proved he's a pretty good TE and Ertz isn't getting any younger. Trade him while he still has value.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
WIP hot take: trade Ertz.

Goedert proved he's a pretty good TE and Ertz isn't getting any younger. Trade him while he still has value.

That was my opinion when Jalen Ramsey was out there. It's not an outrageous thought. Goeddert is going to get paid at some point and you'll likely have to choose between the two.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Short term: Both Jeff and Doug need to be screaming to the hills about the hit that Wentz took tonight. Need to set precedent tonight about Carson's protection moving forward. That's a given flag if Clowney hits Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, etc. on that hit.

Long term: Get younger at the draft in a bunch of places. Safety, WR, LB, OL. I know it's unreasonable to expect this, but they need 5 legitimate NFL players in this draft to turn this roster over. This is a big make or break year for the personnel staff.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You cross that bridge when the day comes but that day isn’t today. The odds of you landing a player in a trade better than Ertz regardless of position just isn’t likely.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
You cross that bridge when the day comes but that day isn’t today. The odds of you landing a player in a trade better than Ertz regardless of position just isn’t likely.
Trading the better player for futures or pieces rarely works out in the NFL. The analytics on player value are too precise. It isn't like the NHL where you can sucker a GM into overvaluing "intangibles".

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What do you think about the state of the offensive and defensive lines?

Can't put any more money/premium assets into DT, so it's not even worth discussing. They definitely need EDGEs. Miller would be a pleasant surprise to even be a rotational guy. Sweat is only that. Barnett is a mediocre starter. Hopefully Hall is a situational guy.

You probably have one more year before Kelce retires. Two if you're lucky. Dillard's going to play. The right side is locked in. I would guess additions there are cheap/depth ones.

Reactions: BringBackBerube

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I can't even get mad about the flag against Clowney. I just don't even care.

Wentz still would've been out for the game and the 15 yards or whatever wouldn't make a difference. Maybe a Clowney ejection would've, but even that's questionable.

I'm just a little sad.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Sports continue to exist solely to cause you pain.

We do sports wrong. Almost every year is disappointing.

We should pick one team to root against instead. Then you almost always win in the end.

wojak_05.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im pretty sure Sherman was ejected in a game where he hit Mariota out of bounds and this hit was so much worse. Should have been ejected.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Short term: Both Jeff and Doug need to be screaming to the hills about the hit that Wentz took tonight. Need to set precedent tonight about Carson's protection moving forward. That's a given flag if Clowney hits Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, etc. on that hit.

Long term: Get younger at the draft in a bunch of places. Safety, WR, LB, OL. I know it's unreasonable to expect this, but they need 5 legitimate NFL players in this draft to turn this roster over. This is a big make or break year for the personnel staff.
That's asking for way too much. Even with the compensatory picks for Foles, Tate, and Hicks, which are in rounds 3, 4, 5. Playoff teams generally end up with 1, maybe 2 rookie starters. Adding mostly day 3 picks if you are trading down multiple times. Generally going to be depth or situational guys in year 1.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We do sports wrong. Almost every year is disappointing.

We should pick one team to root against instead. Then you almost always win in the end.

wojak_05.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg

I can tell you in no uncertain terms that this doesn't work either, unfortunately. I mean, mathematically, it works most of the time, but the times it doesn't work are bad enough that you don't really want to go on living the rest of the time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Refs said penalty wasn’t given because Wentz didn’t give himself up.

Remember that time he dove for the end zone against the Falcons and they said he gave himself up?

I memba.

Does the NFL have a specific targeting call like the NCAA? If they do I don’t really see how that matters if he gave up or not. Clowney still struck Wentz’s helmet with the crown of his helmet.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Refs said penalty wasn’t given because Wentz didn’t give himself up.

Remember that time he dove for the end zone against the Falcons and they said he gave himself up?

I memba.

What about the headfirst spear to the back of his head ?

I knew the league would cover their asses on this.

Like said above, this does not go uncalled vs Brady Wilson Rodgers Mahomes or 10 others. Doug needs to be complaining to anyone that will listen

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Does the NFL have a specific targeting call like the NCAA? If they do I don’t really see how that matters if he gave up or not. Clowney still struck Wentz’s helmet with the crown of his helmet.

I could maybe buy that he didn't do it on purpose - where it was one of those situations that you go to hit a guy in one place and that part of his body isn't there anymore and is replaced by his head as he is falling to the ground. Maybe. But it shouldn't matter at all - it was a head-to-head bullet shot. They blew it hard. You can't tell me that the league truly, deep down, is taking head injuries any more seriously than they ever have. It sure looks like lip service to me, and that is simply ****ing criminal and typical corporate behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad